Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6153 Likes Search this Thread
05-29-2019, 09:27 AM   #5401
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
Great images!
Thank you. It looks rather imperial on the flower head.

05-29-2019, 09:40 AM   #5402
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
A really handsome beetle. Never seen one before in this area.
I think it is a dogbane.
05-29-2019, 09:44 AM   #5403
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote

We get them around here. Photogenic but destructive.
There were swarms of these in Minneapolis. About 50 on a rose bush and all over trees and on the ground where I stayed.

Great photos.
05-29-2019, 10:50 AM   #5404
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
There were swarms of these in Minneapolis. About 50 on a rose bush and all over trees and on the ground where I stayed.

Great photos.
If they're dogbane beetles they're not so likely to be destroying the roses, that's probably Japanese Beetles. Dogbane beetles mostly eat dogbane (Indian Hemp) and occasionally milkweed. Dogbane is closely related to milkweed.

Note the lack of stripes on the abdomen and fully bronze green Elytra which wrap around the sides of the abdomen. Dogbane Beetles are beautiful.

Japanese Beetles have the browner Elytra and those distinctive spots/stripes on the abdomen.
Japanese beetle - Wikipedia

Japanese Beetles are notorious for destroying Asian-origin plants like domestic roses.

05-29-2019, 11:26 AM   #5405
Pentaxian

They were Japanese beetles. They have a square green head. The dogbane head is just kinda an extention to the round top.
05-29-2019, 03:23 PM   #5406
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
Looks like a Japanes Beetle. Or a variation thereof.

Definitely neither a Japanese beetle nor a dogbane beetle, both of which I know well.. I've been too busy with a home improvement project to chase down an ID but I'll get to it.

FOLLOWUP. This is probably Euphoria fulgida = green scarab beetle, or a closely related species. The images I've found of E. fulgida show a green rather than red triangle between the front ends of the elytra, but the color of this species is variable and includes forms that are blue rather than green.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 05-30-2019 at 08:42 AM.
05-30-2019, 04:04 AM - 3 Likes   #5407
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
Hopefully it was on a holiday and has gone home.
Don't worry about it. They're really calm usually. I got stung during the shoot for the below portrait (a 4MP crop out of a 1:1 shot) - but by a German (or Saxonian) wasp! The immediate pain with hornets comes from a rather large stinger, but otherwise they are said to have less toxin than e.g. a honey bee.

I really like their eyes.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
05-30-2019, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #5408
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I think it is a dogbane.

FYI: ALSO POSTED WITH THE IMAGE OF THE BEETLE

FOLLOWUP. This is probably Euphoria fulgida = green scarab beetle, or a closely related species. The images I've found of E. fulgida show a green rather than red triangle between the front ends of the elytra, but the color of this species is variable and includes forms that are blue rather than green.

05-31-2019, 12:00 AM - 4 Likes   #5409
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A brown shield bug on a strawberry leaf (K-3 + F 100:2.8 macro)

05-31-2019, 02:47 AM   #5410
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Definitely neither a Japanese beetle nor a dogbane beetle, both of which I know well.. I've been too busy with a home improvement project to chase down an ID but I'll get to it.

Looks to me like a close relative of what we call a rose chafer - Cetonia aurata - I'd say same family if not genus
05-31-2019, 05:29 AM   #5411
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Looks to me like a close relative of what we call a rose chafer - Cetonia aurata - I'd say same family if not genus
C. aurata is also a scarab, but as best I can determine it does not occur in North America (strange, as climate and available roses should insure its success). However, C. aurata commonly has white streaks cross-wise on the elytra and the one I found does have white spots. C. a. is certainly a good match, but I'll need to check further to see if it has invaded NA.

FOLLOWUP: I just found a definitive statement that Cetonia aurata is not known in NA. There is an "American rose chafer" but it is very different in appearance, certainly not the beetle I found.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 05-31-2019 at 05:37 AM.
05-31-2019, 05:37 AM   #5412
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Next months SIC is an A 50mm f2, coupled with a Raynox DCR-250 and I've ordered a gorilla pod like tripod to help hold camera steady and get lower to the ground. Hopefully I'll get some bugs this next month.
05-31-2019, 05:27 PM   #5413
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
The immediate pain with hornets comes from a rather large stinger, but otherwise they are said to have less toxin than e.g. a honey bee.
The hornets find me on a seemingly regular basis as I do yard work. Yup they hurt but it passes quickly. Provided one doesn't have an allergy and end up in anaphylactic shock.
06-01-2019, 03:25 AM   #5414
Pentaxian

And here is another stinger:

k3&Tamron 90 Macro
06-01-2019, 05:02 AM   #5415
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A tine parasitic wasp (?) on a wild geranium. Deep crop from a much wider image.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-M10MarkII  Photo