Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-01-2011, 05:24 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I was going to use the M100 but after walking home with it yesterday i decided i want an easy month to get back in the flow. So instead I'm going to use a lens I barely touch now that i've had for ages. Tamron 28-200 f3.8-5.6 LD asph. Had this as a travel lens on film in the 90's and it got a lot of use. not the sharpest but very versatile. I probably would have sold this on ages ago but since at best I'd realise $150 it's worth keeping around. One thing i noticed on the way in today is the AF is really snappy on the K7 compared to the ds which is the last camera i remember using it on (don't think i ever stuck it on the K10)
May have to dig out the polarizer since i remember that helping this lens pop.
EDIT: this is the tamron version of the Pentax-FA 28-200mm F3.8-5.6 AL [IF], which had (came with my MZ5) dropped and ended up replacing with this)
I have this lens too.
It's actually a great lens in the right setting, it got me a shot into the Exclusive gallery here ("Tasty Treat").

I can't wait to see how you use it!

Cheers from Jack.

09-01-2011, 05:42 AM   #47
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I could be in this month but can't start until Monday. Is that ok?
09-01-2011, 05:54 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote
I have this lens too.
It's actually a great lens in the right setting, it got me a shot into the Exclusive gallery here ("Tasty Treat").

I can't wait to see how you use it!

Cheers from Jack.
Took a look, nice shot Jack. I have a few favourite shots from this lens (mostly on film, few digitized at this point) and a good number of the shots i took on the DS in Venice and Florence were with this lens
i'll have to get inspired this weekend (I'm supposed to attend a wedding Saturday out of town, so we'll see
09-01-2011, 06:21 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I could be in this month but can't start until Monday. Is that ok?
No problem, you've earned your stripes already!

09-01-2011, 08:59 AM   #50
Inactive Account

I was thinking of using the Voigtlander 58 but I see Blackcloudbrew has chosen that lens. It would be interesting to compare but I'm going with another that has barely ever seen any of my cameras (and it's a crime against Pentax LBA). The Pentax A 50mm f1:1.2. How I could have forgotten that one in my consideration until this moment, is beyond me.

Good luck everyone!

09-01-2011, 09:26 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, Jeff, I was actually hoping you'd pick your Nokton too. It would be fun to do a comparison. However, sounds like you have a good solution and I'll be watching your results for sure.
09-01-2011, 09:40 AM   #52
Inactive Account

Ok. You talked me into it. I'm flexible. That lens has seen less use than the A50.

Voigtlander 58 it is... Let the real vs model compare begin (don't know if I'll theme it this month though).

What focal length are you telling your camera it is? You go one way, I'll go the other and we'll see if there is any notable difference for SR.

One thing my previous bouts of LBA has given me, is Options.

09-01-2011, 10:00 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I always use 55mm for it. Given that you can select either 55 or 65mm, 55 seems more appropriate. I'm not sure I understand your reference to real vs. model reference though. I haven't come up with a theme but I know I will be shooting more rail road crossings this month but only on an infrequent basis. My aim is to give this lens a workout in my general shooting, most likely on the K5 but I may do some on the K20d and might even do some infrared on the K100ds. Generally, I've used this lens for indoor portrait work. It's hard to focus, or always was on my K10d even with a split screen viewfinder.
09-01-2011, 11:06 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I always use 55mm for it. Given that you can select either 55 or 65mm, 55 seems more appropriate. I'm not sure I understand your reference to real vs. model reference though. I haven't come up with a theme but I know I will be shooting more rail road crossings this month but only on an infrequent basis. <SNIP>.
I think Jeff was talking about your real RRs vs his model trains...but I could be wrong.

1st shot is up. It only took 3 tries for me to remember how to link the photo back to the album!
09-01-2011, 11:09 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@jheu02, I kind of thought so too but I hope he will clarify things for me.
09-01-2011, 11:16 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am in..... really enjoyed and got a lot out of last month. Not sure which lens I will go with this month tho....either the kit lens from my old istDS which is a DA 18-55, or an old full frame Sigma. It is a 24-135 f2.8-4.5. It has a 77mm filter size and weighs a ton on my K5. Leaning towards the Simga, as I have not shot much with it in a while, and would like to see how it handles on the K5. The other option is an old Sears 135 f/2.8.

Anyway hope to enjoy this month as well as I did the last. I only missed two days last month, and that was due to being very ill.

Looking forward to the images for September!
David
09-01-2011, 11:17 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I see some familiar names in this thread. The last time I participated was Single In November. I think I've sufficiently recovered now to try again. For SIN, I used a Kiron 28mm f2. For SIS-11 I'll try my recently acquired Sears A 135mm f2.8 macro.
09-01-2011, 11:22 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On another note. Some months ago, there was some limited discussion of doing a book of this Single in challenge. I see that this was done for last September's challenge. I'm wondering if it's time to consider doing this for the entire 2011 Single in effort. I've tried to think through how this might be done. I don't have any answers on it though. I guess part of this would be getting some idea of the interest of members to work on the project and establish some ways to do it that are fair and offer the opportunity for any one that participated to have some of their images included. I've never put together a photo book but I'm interested in trying. Anyway, is there interest in this? Enough to establish a working group to do it? My guess is that we'd target say production in around February of 2012. My thought is that this would be a 365 book, with either the best of each day or the best of each month.

So, what do you think? Also for those that did the effort last September, was it worth it to do?
09-01-2011, 11:23 AM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That Sears 135 is a great lens!
09-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
On another note. Some months ago, there was some limited discussion of doing a book of this Single in challenge. I see that this was done for last September's challenge. I'm wondering if it's time to consider doing this for the entire 2011 Single in effort. I've tried to think through how this might be done. I don't have any answers on it though. I guess part of this would be getting some idea of the interest of members to work on the project and establish some ways to do it that are fair and offer the opportunity for any one that participated to have some of their images included. I've never put together a photo book but I'm interested in trying. Anyway, is there interest in this? Enough to establish a working group to do it? My guess is that we'd target say production in around February of 2012. My thought is that this would be a 365 book, with either the best of each day or the best of each month.

So, what do you think? Also for those that did the effort last September, was it worth it to do?
Pretty herculean task to pull together the full 365. not to mention the cost of the book. best of each week would be easier
I understand the book last year was a lot of work for whoever took it on