Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Challenge # 50

I'm delighted to have the privilege of hosting Post-Processing Challenge #50. As usual, the rules are simple:
  1. All entries submitted before the deadline will be considered.
  2. There is no rule #2.

Deadline is end of day, 24 October (GMT).

Once again my challenge to you comes via the SMC Pentax 1:2.8 24mm, i.e., the K 24. Setting: a long-abandoned homestead in Appalachia. Minimally-processed jpeg attached just so you know what you're getting into; full RAW file available until the contest deadline (if that doesn't work, also available here).

The prize? You get to host the next Post-Processing Challenge!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by baro-nite; 10-18-2011 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Added alternate download link
10-18-2011, 06:18 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just realized my personal website is down for a system upgrade.

So I've uploaded the RAW file to the pentaxforums mediafire account:

PPChallenge50.PEF
10-18-2011, 10:32 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Straightened the doorway cropped the photo to center everything. The color processing was done with Topaz Detail, dynamic range equalization.

Good luck everyone.

Attached Images

10-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Tried to make 3 distinct layers to this image and still make the light look natural.

Tim

10-21-2011, 05:27 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Tim and Jeff, thanks for the entries. As usual, very fine work, also two distinctly different approaches. And of course both different from how I would have approached it, which is what I love about these challenges. Hoping to see some more entries before the contest closes on the 24th!
10-23-2011, 06:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

And now for somthing completely different....

10-23-2011, 06:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

This is a challenging image, no doubt! So we need some creative people to have a go! Don't be shy, you have nothing to lose but your credibility!

10-23-2011, 07:17 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A little something in B+W.
10-24-2011, 06:35 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Greg, thanks for entry #2 #3 -- a different take on this image indeed!

dunerunner, thanks for rounding this out with a B&W.

4 distinct concepts. Last day for entries -- any more?

Last edited by baro-nite; 10-24-2011 at 08:22 AM. Reason: typo
10-24-2011, 08:04 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's mine, and I'll agree, it was a little more difficult to work than I expected. Original plan was a B/W conversion, but I wasn't getting quite the results I wanted. So, I switched gears and thought, I would have shot this at a different aperture to isolate the stone detail of the entryway from the rest. So, that's what I attempted using some mask layers to blur the background, first:everything behind the front wall, then everything after the rear wall. I also desaturated just a little and burned in some areas. After saving the jpeg, I realized that some of the mask areas were a little noticeable, but I didn't do an intermediary save, so I can't really go back to do touchups.

10-25-2011, 07:10 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
And another PP Challenge comes to a close. Thanks to all for your participation.

From JeffJS, perspective correction plus dynamic range and color adjustments to make color the primary compositional element. Highly saturated to be sure, but it works by going far enough to be more painterly than realistic.

From Tim, a similar degree of perspective correction with a tighter crop, then emphasizing rather than flattening the high dynamic range natural to sunlit forest. Emphasizes the light and the texture of the sunlit wall, leading the viewer's eye into the enclosed space. I wouldn't call it naturalistic as to my eye the the contrast is too great for that, but it's a nice gritty effect, especially on the sunlit wall which you have made the subject here. I'd have preferred not blowing out the highlights.

From ozlizard, rotate & tight crop with a high-contrast B&W conversion, for a semi-abstract, "what am I looking at?" image. With this presentation I find the texture of the wall plays interesting optical tricks -- parts of it almost look like water or sky.

From dunerunner, perspective as shot and B&W conversion bringing up the shadows to make this a study in textures. Very nice conversion and contrast adjustment, although the background is a bit washed-out looking.

From John, desaturation and defocus to create a dreamy look, almost tilt/shift. Rather than drawing the eye in as in Tim's rendering, this one puts the viewer "on the threshold". As you point out the masking is a little rough.

Really tough for me to choose a winner here -- I can come up with reasons for picking any of these. I'm giving the nod to Tim/atupdate, for the way his rendering pulls the viewer in.
10-25-2011, 04:14 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Really tough for me to choose a winner here -- I can come up with reasons for picking any of these. I'm giving the nod to Tim/atupdate, for the way his rendering pulls the viewer in.
Thanks for the honor of hosting the next challenge. I'll go through my files and post a new challenge early tomorrow.

Tim
10-26-2011, 03:03 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Thanks for the challenge baro-nite, it really was challenging! Well done to Tim and all the entries.
10-26-2011, 05:10 AM   #14
Pentaxian

The new challenge is posted here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/16348...ml#post1693383

Tim