Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2011, 07:01 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Single in November 2011

Single in November 2011

Here is month's thread. It's mainly copied from the first thread for September's challenge, with just a few minor changes:

I would like to invite anyone who might be interested to join this challenge / game.

It really is fun if a little trying at times. A great way to learn to use your kit and improve your shooting.

For the month of November, pick one of your lenses, doesn't matter which one, take a photo every day, and post it for others to enjoy and even critique. Many who've participated in past challenges choose one of their seldom-used lenses, others choose a new purchase that they're just dying to run through its paces. Read the FAQ below for benefits of participating in this challenge.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have in this thread, and happy shooting to everyone.

Rules of the challenge:

- Choose one lens
- Take pictures with the lens each day and upload one of them to the Daily Single in November 2011 thread under the monthly challenges group for the appropriate day.
- If you'd like to leave a comment for the photog about his/her shot, click the photo, it will have a link to a commenting page. See Linking FAQ below.
- Do this every day for the whole month
- Personal or side challenges/themes are welcome! This can help keep the Single in... challenges fresh for those who are regular participants.
- NEW Suggestions for group themes are always welcome
- NEW This month also has a motto "No lame excuses". - thanks Jack!

FAQ:

Q: where do i post my pictures ?
NEW
A: under the monthly photo challenges group you will find a thread for each day in November, post your picture to the appropriate day, just like posting a picture to any thread on the forum. You can store your pictures wherever you like i.e. a gallery here (see below) or Flickr or photobucket or your own site, just post them to the daily thread that applies to the picture. Here is the group page:

Monthly Photo Challenges - PentaxForums.com

Q: What if I have more than one picture worth posting
A: Hopefully you will, there is a group for extras you can start a thread there for your extras if you wish here:

Monthly Photo Challenges - Extras - PentaxForums.com

Q: How do I participate?
A: Create an album called "Single in November 2011". Go to your User Control Panel, and under Your Profile, choose "Edit Photo Albums". There you can create the album. NEW - OR add them wherever you upload pictures (flickr, photobucket, picassa...) see above but be sure to post them to each daily thread

Q: Once I've created my album, where/how do I submit my album to be included?
A: NEW now everyone can easily follow progress by subscribing to the daily thread (automatic when you post a pic or comment)

Q: How do I link my album photos to the daily thread?
A: New: The quick and dirty link faq
(this assumes that you've already uploaded your pic to your album wherever it's being hosted)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Open 2 browser tabs: one will be the Monthly Photo Challenge Day (November 1st, 2nd, etc), the other will be your picture you've uploaded for that day, opened for viewing, commenting, or sharing mode (PF, Flickr,...)

2. Open the Monthly Challenge Day you want to post to (November 1st, 2nd...), "Post Reply" for that day, type a title for your shot, and then insert your shot (if you're not sure how to do this, ask).

3. Once the shot can be seen, "highlight" or "select" the shot. (The image should turn blue)

4. Switch browser tabs to your album at your host site. Remember, you should be seeing the shot itself, not the whole album.

5. Copy the URL from the top browser window

6. Switch tabs again. You should see your photo in blue. Click the little "planet and chain" icon in the posting control panel. A hyperlink box will appear. Paste the copied URL into the open field. Click OK to complete the link.

7. Click "Submit Reply." You're done. If you want to check to make sure it worked, once your Reply is active in the thread, Left Click on your photo. It SHOULD take you to your host site, with the photo already opened for commenting.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q; what is the Flickr Group about
A: there is now a Flickr Single in group, if you use flickr please join in and cross post there. perhaps we will entice new unsuspecting members to the forum and the challenge through this venue
Flickr: Single Challenges (Pentax only)

Q: Must I upload a picture every day?
A: No, you can upload it whenever you feel like, but you must choose one for each day

Q: What if I miss a shot?
A: Do not worry about it!

Q: What is a "safety shot"?
A: It is a picture that you take early in the day as a backup if you get too busy to get the shot you wanted

Q: What about all my other lenses, can't I use them?
A: Not for this challenge, but you can shoot with them all you want

Q: If I choose a zoom lens, do I have to stick with one focal length on that lens? Or can I have the entire focal range?
A: You can use the entire focal range

Q: Is it against the rules if I use an extension tube together with the lens?
A: Not at all, you are still using the same lens!

Q: How about mounting the lens reversed then?
A: You can do that! :-)

Q: Is it just for curing LBA?
A: No! You learn a lot from using a single lens for a month, why not choose one of your least favorite ones and get to know it better?
A: You get a new bunch of friends who also shoot one picture every day
A: If you choose a similar lens as someone else, you can compare shots, image quality and share notes *aawww* :-)

Q: Is it hard?
A: The first 7 days are easy. The next 7 will get you on your toes, the next 7 will make you head hurt and if you survive that till the end you will have a bunch of fantastic shots spread out over a whole month

Q: What about that gallery, I do not have enough space for my pictures!
A: Have you considered donating to the site? It will get you a bunch of space and keep the site advertising free! You know you love it like that :-)

Q: Any hints with regards to the Album?
A: Take a snapshot of your chosen lens? Make today's picture the album cover?

Q: Photobook!
A: Yes! What a great idea, a book with photographs chosen by the challengers. Just remember to save the original files so you will have good material for prints

Q: Can I have a look at past challenges?
A: Yes, you can find them by searching single in under the member albums, or by Visiting the various threads from January to August under the group where you will be posting the November Pics.

Patrick

Last edited by patjp; 11-05-2011 at 06:53 AM.
10-31-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks Patrick for putting this up. Oh, my am I ready for this month? I still haven't made my choice on lenses. But I'll figure it out shortly. Off we go again.

Hmmm....no lame excuses? Well now that will take some thought. Anyway off to SiN month!
10-31-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have an idea that is based on the NaNoWriMo project, which is to write a novel in November. Well, I'm not much of a writer, but I'm planning on putting together 50 photos with two lenses (DA 40 and (if it arrives in time) DFA 100), different view on the same scene to tell a story. I've purchased legos for this field month, so let's see what happens.
10-31-2011, 09:35 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Oh Jeeze, NOT again!

Yep, sorry buddy, we're going to try this again.

DA35 f2.8 Limited- I've now committed to it. I'll TRY not to have any lame excuses. No promises though

10-31-2011, 05:02 PM   #5
Inactive Account

All aboard they say, dogs'n'all! No lame excuses!

Cheers Paddy
10-31-2011, 07:50 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'm thinking this month I can join. Most the flowers are gone and I'm not sure which lens yet. I'll let you all know that tomorrow.
10-31-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Exactly a year ago I joined this madness... Something tells me I won't have much time to do this but I feel a great urge to shoot. This time around though, something way different (for me at least). Tamron 10-24mm.

Hopefully I'll find out whether it's back focusing or it's just my imagination.

Wide enough? LOL... this @ 14.4mm and cropped vertically.

11-01-2011, 12:06 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Voytech Quote
Exactly a year ago I joined this madness... Something tells me I won't have much time to do this but I feel a great urge to shoot. This time around though, something way different (for me at least). Tamron 10-24mm.

Hopefully I'll find out whether it's back focusing or it's just my imagination.

Wide enough? LOL... this @ 14.4mm and cropped vertically.
Strewth mate...this could be a very interesting month!

And wellcome back Ma! Good luck sunshine.

Cheers Paddy
11-01-2011, 11:01 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'm going with the Pentax 18-55mm DA L II.
11-01-2011, 06:48 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

After much deliberation (honest!), I'm going with my Samyang 100-500 (aka the Rocket Launcher) all month. This will be a serious challenge as it's not sharp or easy to use. I'm also going with a barns theme (or farm something if I can't figure it out) all month. So off we go in telephoto land.
11-01-2011, 10:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I miss you guys! Life got real busy but I'm really hoping I can get back in the swing come December. Meanwhile I'll be lurking when I can.
11-02-2011, 01:02 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
After much deliberation (honest!), I'm going with my Samyang 100-500 (aka the Rocket Launcher) all month. This will be a serious challenge as it's not sharp or easy to use. I'm also going with a barns theme (or farm something if I can't figure it out) all month. So off we go in telephoto land.
OK mate...you barnstorm away....I'll keep posting!

Goodonyah!

Cheers Paddy
11-02-2011, 04:38 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Jim - whatever Paddy just said, I'm with.
11-02-2011, 03:14 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Plus you may have forearms like Popeye at the end of November. Good luck with it..

11-02-2011, 03:51 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good thought, that lens is really an exercise in pumping iron!