Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2017, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #466
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
Massey Harris anyone?

South Fulton Antique Tractor Show, Vermont, Illinois.
Tamron Adaptall-2 27A 28-80mm lens + K10D
I'll trade you an Oliver

08-13-2017, 07:09 PM   #467
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KC0PET Quote
I'll trade you an Oliver
It's funny you mention that. I was hoping to see an Oliver 66 or 77, but there was only one Oliver, a late 50s or 60s model, post-streamline design similar to the one you posted. I asked somebody why hardly any Olivers, and he said the nearest Oliver dealer was a couple of counties over. There were more John Deeres than anything else. I shot more of them with a film camera I started with. I was into more reds, oranges, etc., by the time I switched to my K10D. There were more Furgesons (the pre-Massey-Furgeson Furgesons) than Fords. That surprised me a little.
08-14-2017, 07:55 AM   #468
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
It's funny you mention that. I was hoping to see an Oliver 66 or 77, but there was only one Oliver, a late 50s or 60s model, post-streamline design similar to the one you posted. I asked somebody why hardly any Olivers, and he said the nearest Oliver dealer was a couple of counties over. There were more John Deeres than anything else. I shot more of them with a film camera I started with. I was into more reds, oranges, etc., by the time I switched to my K10D. There were more Furgesons (the pre-Massey-Furgeson Furgesons) than Fords. That surprised me a little.
That is interesting, I guess even entire counties can be brand specific. This photo was from the Old Threshers Reunion, it looks like you are very close to that one. We went last year, probably will not be there this year
08-14-2017, 08:17 AM   #469
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KC0PET Quote
That is interesting, I guess even entire counties can be brand specific. This photo was from the Old Threshers Reunion, it looks like you are very close to that one. We went last year, probably will not be there this year
If you mean the Threshers event at Mt. Pleasant, IA, we did go to it one time, but I believe it was about a 5-hour drive from here. The steam-powered threshing engines always strike me as quite a different animal from gas-powered tractors. I heard a bit from my mother and her father about what it was like when the threshers came through the rural neighborhood back in the 1920s-30s, spending time on each farm, some of the labor being provided by the crew bringing the equipment and the rest by the local farmers, neighbors helping out on neighbors' farms. Then all the work done at farm houses to provide the crews with meals! To this day some people describe a more than ample table spread with food as " 'nough for threshers!"

08-16-2017, 10:16 AM - 3 Likes   #470
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
09-08-2017, 06:50 PM - 1 Like   #471
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Caught this on my walk the other day.

09-09-2017, 10:54 AM   #472
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Retired equipment that's done its share of the dirty work - - detail of a manure spreader.

Attached Images

09-09-2017, 10:18 PM   #473
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

09-26-2017, 05:44 PM - 1 Like   #474
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Portrait of an old farm house -- some family's old home place -- along Morningstar Highway, Fulton County, Illinois.

Sun Wide-Auto f/2.5 28mm, at f/8v11
Pentax ESII, at 1/250th sec.
Kodak Portra 160, at iso 125
Scans by Dwayne's
Some digital tweaking
09-30-2017, 07:25 AM   #475
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The old grain elevator at Table Grove, Illinois

(Sun 2.5/28, ESII, Portra 160)

[this one is cross-posted]
10-02-2017, 08:21 PM - 1 Like   #476
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A friend's Murray Grey heifers - all with K-5, first two with & DA18-135, third with Sigma 150-500 @ 150mm

10-05-2017, 04:16 AM - 2 Likes   #477
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

another couple of Murray Greys...

10-05-2017, 10:38 PM   #478
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know if I have posted this here before, but if I did I didn't get a response(!)
What is it???

10-06-2017, 05:17 AM   #479
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
I don't know if I have posted this here before, but if I did I didn't get a response(!)
What is it???

Yes you have, with speculations in replies for what it did. Harvesting of something, drawn behind either a wagon pulled by a tractor or a truck with a bin in the back, metal guide bars at bottom front funnel something to metal fingers that pick it up, dump it in the chute at top-front where the crop rolls forward into the wagon or truck bed. But what? Probably something large and more-or-less spherical that rolls, such as pumpkins or other gourds, watermelon or other melons, or perhaps cabbage heads, etc.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 10-06-2017 at 05:22 AM.
10-06-2017, 07:14 AM   #480
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
What is it???

I'm wondering it it's a potato digger. Potatoes are grown in raised hills, and the front blades might compress the hills from the sides, and the rotary fingers (which don't look sharp to me) might turn out the potatoes.

If it were designed only a little differently and pulled in the opposite direction, it might open a furrow and lay some kind of cable or tubing in the ground!