Show Printable Version 1116 Likes Search this Thread
11-21-2017, 08:34 PM - 5 Likes   #511
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KC0PET Quote
Anyway I will get off of my soapbox and get back to posting photos
OK, same here. :-) I've enjoyed the discussion.

This is a cattleman's hut in the mountains of eastern Victoria. This one was built in 1939 by Alex Guy, as you can see from the inscription above the door. The cattlemen from the surrounding valleys (in this case from Wonnangatta Station in the Wonnangatta Valley) used to pasture their cattle over summer on the snow grass plains at around 1400-1700 metres above sea level (say around 4500-5500'). They were very remote areas until logging roads went in after WW2. In fact the former Wonnangatta Station (now part of the Alpine National Park) still is very remote, accessible only by arduous walking tracks or steep and rough 4WD tracks. It takes about 2 hours of hard low-range 4WDing to go down the track from the snow plain to the valley.

K-S2 + DA 18-135.

Last edited by Des; 11-22-2017 at 02:43 PM.
11-23-2017, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #512
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

white face herd

Des, That is an awesome photo & an incredible story. I feel like I went back in time just looking at that. Not too many folks that could live that kind of life.
Here are a couple photos of my neighbors cows.
Best Regards, Bob
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
11-24-2017, 08:07 PM - 2 Likes   #513
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Speaking of windmills....

11-24-2017, 08:43 PM   #514
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
Speaking of windmills....
goatsNdonkey that is my kind of windmill...too bad I don't have one.
Best Regards, Bob

11-25-2017, 02:08 AM - 1 Like   #515
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jabobby Quote
goatsNdonkey that is my kind of windmill...too bad I don't have one.
Best Regards, Bob
When I was a kid, in the 1950s and 60s, there were still a lot of windmills with all of their vanes and able to turn in the wind, though I don't know how many of them were still pumping water. Now it is quite rare to see one that isn't a complete wreck. In fact, in the 1980s, windmills seemed to be getting removed at about the same rate as those first gigantic satellite TV dishes were being installed in farmyards all over. It looked like the countryside was shifting from peacefully pumping water, to getting ready to return fire if the Martians landed and started firing their own parabolic heat ray weapons we had seen in the movies.
11-25-2017, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #516
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I was a kid, in the 1950s and 60s, there were still a lot of windmills with all of their vanes and able to turn in the wind, though I don't know how many of them were still pumping water. Now it is quite rare to see one that isn't a complete wreck. In fact, in the 1980s, windmills seemed to be getting removed at about the same rate as those first gigantic satellite TV dishes were being installed in farmyards all over. It looked like the countryside was shifting from peacefully pumping water, to getting ready to return fire if the Martians landed and started firing their own parabolic heat ray weapons we had seen in the movies.
Fortunately those big satellite dishes are mostly gone now. Maybe we can get a movement amongst the preppers (I kind of fall in that category) to bring back the old water pumping windmills

---------- Post added 11-25-17 at 08:32 AM ----------

Here is some winter cover crop getting started on our farm.

11-25-2017, 08:20 AM - 3 Likes   #517
Veteran Member

Hey Red !

Free Grazers

Last edited by honey bo bo; 01-06-2018 at 10:47 AM.
11-26-2017, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #518
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

honey bo bo, nice grazers.
Here is some from a local farm. Have to go back when the sun is higher to get away from the shadows.
Best Regards, Bob
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
11-27-2017, 06:16 PM - 3 Likes   #519
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

good use of cell towers

This past summer a cell phone company put up a tower in my neighbors hay field. Nice for him since they pay a fairly healthy sum of money for the use of that little piece of land. My way to accept it is to look at it as just a very tall metal tree. It is 300 feet so that is a very tall tree. Here are some photos of it:
first shot is when they were almost finished erecting it, taken from the edge of my property about 300 yards distance;
second shot shows the crew fastening the strobe light on top and you can see the vultures checking out that nice new tall metal tree, taken from my front yard at about 500 yards distance;
third shot is a worker done for the day;
forth shot is a man connecting the antenna wires;
last shot is the final result, the new & improved vulture roost.
Best Regards, Bob
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
11-28-2017, 05:33 AM - 2 Likes   #520
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If we are playing Farmland Poker, I'll see you a power line tower and a goat, and raise you a stubble field:

All with Schneider-Kreuznach Componon f5.6 80mm enlarger lens + K10D
11-28-2017, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #521
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This past summer a cell phone company put up a tower in my neighbors hay field. Nice for him since they pay a fairly healthy sum of money for the use of that little piece of land. My way to accept it is to look at it as just a very tall metal tree. It is 300 feet so that is a very tall tree.
I think I'd be less Zen about it, Bob. :-)

If we are playing Farmland Poker, I'll see you a power line tower and a goat, and raise you a stubble field:
I think Bob's tower beats your power pole. But the goat and stubble field are a challenge for the next player. Which goat is it BTW? (Should x-post in the farm animals thread.)
11-28-2017, 03:20 PM - 3 Likes   #522
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I think Bob's tower beats your power pole. But the goat and stubble field are a challenge for the next player. Which goat is it BTW? (Should x-post in the farm animals thread.)
The grandness of the pole I posted is based mainly on its comparison to the poles of the old power line that ran there, chunks of the poles from which we have spit for some of our new pasture fencing.

The goat, named Oregano, is one of our three dairy goat wethers. Oregano's markings are clearly of the Alpine breed.
11-28-2017, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #523
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This past summer a cell phone company put up a tower in my neighbors hay field. Nice for him since they pay a fairly healthy sum of money for the use of that little piece of land. My way to accept it is to look at it as just a very tall metal tree. It is 300 feet so that is a very tall tree. Here are some photos of it:
first shot is when they were almost finished erecting it, taken from the edge of my property about 300 yards distance;
second shot shows the crew fastening the strobe light on top and you can see the vultures checking out that nice new tall metal tree, taken from my front yard at about 500 yards distance;
third shot is a worker done for the day;
forth shot is a man connecting the antenna wires;
last shot is the final result, the new & improved vulture roost.
Best Regards, Bob
One of these days I would like to build one of those and lease the "vertical real estate", it is much more lucrative than the horizontal real estate. And I can also hang my ham radio antennas on it. But in my past career one of my hats was to contract and manage radio tower installations. I don't mind the cell towers personally, but I do understand that quite a few people do not like them.
11-28-2017, 04:52 PM   #524
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KC0PET Quote
One of these days I would like to build one of those and lease the "vertical real estate", it is much more lucrative than the horizontal real estate. And I can also hang my ham radio antennas on it. But in my past career one of my hats was to contract and manage radio tower installations. I don't mind the cell towers personally, but I do understand that quite a few people do not like them.
Have you seen one that's been semi-camouflaged, or semi-decorated with artificial pine limbs to look sort of treeish?
11-28-2017, 06:22 PM   #525
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Have you seen one that's been semi-camouflaged, or semi-decorated with artificial pine limbs to look sort of treeish?
Yes, some are even well done. I particularly like the ones that are made into Crosses. Wish I had some photos to show...

Here is some more corn stubble.