Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1116 Likes Search this Thread
01-09-2018, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #556
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
In Britain the dividing line between a hill and a mountain is 1000' (just over 300m). So 1772' is a mountain by British standards - even though people in Colorado or Alaska might not think so.
When I went to California as a student, there were many who scoffed and ridiculed the "so-called mountains" of the east coast. On the other hand, Mount Washington, 6288 ft (about 1916m), although not the highest on the east coast (that's Mt. Mitchell) is one of the most dangerous peaks in the USA precisely because people don't respect it. Wintertime in particular the temp can plummet and winds can become fierce in a just a few hours. There have been about 150 deaths on the mountain, and an average of 25 rescue missions per year.

01-09-2018, 05:47 PM   #557
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
When I went to California as a student, there were many who scoffed and ridiculed the "so-called mountains" of the east coast. On the other hand, Mount Washington, 6288 ft (about 1916m), although not the highest on the east coast (that's Mt. Mitchell) is one of the most dangerous peaks in the USA precisely because people don't respect it. Wintertime in particular the temp can plummet and winds can become fierce in a just a few hours. There have been about 150 deaths on the mountain, and an average of 25 rescue missions per year.
Presumably that's more than on many of the high peaks in the Rocky Mountains? A mountain doesn't need to be high to be dangerous.

Edit: Sorry I'm straying from the topic of agriculture and farming.
01-09-2018, 06:12 PM - 2 Likes   #558
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The most eloquent case for landscape without mountains that I know about is this poem by John Frederick Nims:

MIDWEST

Indiana: no blustering summit or coarse gorge;
No flora lurid as disaster-flares;
No great vacuities where tourists gape
Nor mountains hoarding their height like millionaires.
More delicate: the ten-foot knolls
Give flavor of hill to Indiana souls.

Topography is perfect, curio-size;
Tidy as landscape in museum cases.
What is beautiful is friendly and underfoot,
Not flaunted like theater curtains in our faces.
No peak or jungle obscures the blue sky;
Our land rides smoothly in the softest eye.

Man is the prominent fauna of our state.
Elsewhere circus creatures stomp and leer
With heads like crags or clumps. But delirious nature
Once in a lucid interval sobering here
Left (repenting her extravagant plan)
Conspicuous on our fields the shadow of man.

. . .

I personally am not against mountains, having loved living for three weeks in the shadow of Colorado's highest peaks, but I like the whole range of topography and would hate to hear of smaller mountains, bluffs, or knolls being slighted.
01-09-2018, 07:26 PM - 3 Likes   #559
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Boy that sparked a discussion Like goatsNdonkey, I love the whole range (no pun intended) of topography. The mountains of the west are jaggedy and high with a kind of sheer beauty to them, not to mention all of the other awesome and unique natural wonders in the west. The mountains of the east are generally wooded and have a beauty all their own. I particularly like Great Smoky Mountain National Park. I have never been to Mt. Washington but have read some stories. Our mountains in MO provide some great scenery and the views are great when the leaves are changing.

As it goes, Taum Sauk Mountain is not the most interesting IMO, just the highest in MO. There are some others that have better vistas and some other unique features to them.

The nice thing about living where we do is that 2 days drive can take us to either the east or the west to great stuff, not to mention some great places here in MO that are a few hours or less away.

So to try to bring back the theme, here is photo, tractor with a bean field in the background.

01-09-2018, 07:33 PM - 3 Likes   #560
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This shot was taken in 2011, just after I got my M50/1.7:

Another old shot from Jan. 2012. This ramshackle old barn finally fell over shortly after this photo was taken. Taken from across a creek with a Sigma 28-84:

Last edited by paulh; 01-09-2018 at 07:39 PM.
01-09-2018, 08:33 PM   #561
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
This shot was taken in 2011, just after I got my M50/1.7:

Another old shot from Jan. 2012. This ramshackle old barn finally fell over shortly after this photo was taken. Taken from across a creek with a Sigma 28-84:
That's a great pair - Paul
01-10-2018, 03:33 PM - 2 Likes   #562
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Des, love the harvest round bale shots, looks like July around here.
KCOPET, nice old tractor & bean field photo.
paulh, couple of real nice shots there, really like that first one.
@goatsNdonkey, these are not farming photos but it is my hope that you can identify this animal for me, it certainly is NOT a show pony.
Originals were positives taken with my old Spotmatic in Chinhae, South Korea in 1969. Been having lots of fun lately making copies of slides to have digital forms.
I think that is a coal yard where the carts are being loaded. In certain parts of countries like that the animals sure are worked hard.
Best Regards, Bob

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
01-10-2018, 06:35 PM - 2 Likes   #563
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jabobby Quote
@goatsNdonkey, these are not farming photos but it is my hope that you can identify this animal for me, it certainly is NOT a show pony. . . .
I think that is a coal yard where the carts are being loaded. In certain parts of countries like that the animals sure are worked hard.
Best Regards, Bob
They are some kind of draft pony breed. It is hard for people today to imagine, but most of the kinds of ponies they've ever seen or heard about were not bred or used for pleasure in the past. They were all, at some time, and still today in some places, used as pack animals or draft animals pulling carts or something else too heavy for humans. If you have seen Dartmoor Dave's posts (some are in the K10D thread) of the majestic looking little wild Darmoor Ponies you would probably find them quite beautiful and worth having around for their aesthetic value, but they are descended from ponies that worked hard lives in mines in that area. Dave could explain the history much more fully.
01-10-2018, 06:45 PM   #564
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
They are some kind of draft pony breed. It is hard for people today to imagine, but most of the kinds of ponies they've ever seen or heard about were not bred or used for pleasure in the past. They were all, at some time, and still today in some places, used as pack animals or draft animals pulling carts or something else too heavy for humans. If you have seen Dartmoor Dave's posts (some are in the K10D thread) of the majestic looking little wild Darmoor Ponies you would probably find them quite beautiful and worth having around for their aesthetic value, but they are descended from ponies that worked hard lives in mines in that area. Dave could explain the history much more fully.
Knew you would have the answer, thank you very much. I have seen Dartmoor Dave's posts and totally agree that those ponies are beautiful. Never would have considered the ones in South Korea to be like them. Thanks again
Best Regards, Bob
01-11-2018, 05:37 AM   #565
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Knew you would have the answer, thank you very much. I have seen Dartmoor Dave's posts and totally agree that those ponies are beautiful. Never would have considered the ones in South Korea to be like them. Thanks again
Best Regards, Bob
My concern, when I see animals like that is whether the poor human worker utilizing the labor of a draft animal is caring for it as well as his or her family can, with the understanding that the animal's health and well being is crucial for their own. This varies a lot, according to habit and culture and the desperation of the humans, in various parts of the world.
01-11-2018, 10:16 AM   #566
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
That's a great pair - Paul
paulh, couple of real nice shots there, really like that first one.
Thanks guys. I had to reach back a few years, but glad I could contribute a bit
01-27-2018, 03:20 PM   #567
farmerDavid

Harvest 2017

Pictures from our dryer and grain leg. We harvest corn at 24 to 32% humidity and dry it down to 14 for storage. It makes for nice steam!
David

01-27-2018, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #568
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I expect that corn couldn't make much more pleasurable steam unless it were at a distillery.

QuoteOriginally posted by farmerDavid Quote
Pictures from our dryer and grain leg. We harvest corn at 24 to 32% humidity and dry it down to 14 for storage. It makes for nice steam!
David

01-27-2018, 05:13 PM - 1 Like   #569
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A tractor covered with snow and idle. But summertime, it's covered with vines and idle.
Attached Images

01-27-2018, 07:27 PM   #570
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

fog on the farm

farmerDavid, those are nice photos and a very nice grain dryer set up.
Best Regards, Bob
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo