Photos: Albums
Hi Rod

Interesting equiptment

Dave
09-01-2018, 04:13 AM - 1 Like   #693
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All that cleverly designed equipment so people can squander money to destroy their health and prematurely end their lives.
09-01-2018, 06:23 PM - 2 Likes   #694
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
All that cleverly designed equipment so people can squander money to destroy their health and prematurely end their lives.
My dad died of three tobacco related diseases, so I immediately recognize the irony, but I am also old enough to remember when there were TV commercials that said things like "Nine out of ten doctors smoke Chesterfield Cigarettes."

Also, in ag history, tobacco could be a rather high profit crop. Do you think of tobacco being grown in Wisconsin? In Crawford County Wisconsin, where more than 40% of the landscape consists of very steep hillsides, tobacco was a favorite crop to plant on whatever flat uplands or valley terraces one's farm might have...at least it was back in the mid-1970s when I learned about it. They grew a kind of tobacco used for the outer wrappings of cigars. There was a tobacco drying barn, very similar to what one might find in Virginia, on a farm a friend of mine bought, though he wasn't growing tobacco there himself.

09-01-2018, 08:15 PM - 2 Likes   #695
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Since you mention tobacco drying...

r
09-02-2018, 02:31 AM   #696
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
My dad died of three tobacco related diseases, so I immediately recognize the irony, but I am also old enough to remember when there were TV commercials that said things like "Nine out of ten doctors smoke Chesterfield Cigarettes."

Also, in ag history, tobacco could be a rather high profit crop. Do you think of tobacco being grown in Wisconsin? In Crawford County Wisconsin, where more than 40% of the landscape consists of very steep hillsides, tobacco was a favorite crop to plant on whatever flat uplands or valley terraces one's farm might have...at least it was back in the mid-1970s when I learned about it. They grew a kind of tobacco used for the outer wrappings of cigars. There was a tobacco drying barn, very similar to what one might find in Virginia, on a farm a friend of mine bought, though he wasn't growing tobacco there himself.
The high profit allowed some walk-behind-the-mule southern farmers to make a living, not much of one, raising tobacco on tiny pieces of land. Edward R. Murrow, a legendary TV news reporter in the 1950's, was sponsored by a cigarette company. The contract obliged him to always, throughout a news report (15 minutes on air back then) to have a burning cigarette visible - in his mouth, in his hand or in an ashtray atop his desk and clearly visible during the program. Also, he was forbidden to show a news clip of anyone who was smoking or holding a cigar or pipe, with the single exception of Churchill.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 09-04-2018 at 07:15 AM.
09-02-2018, 05:31 AM   #697
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The high profit allowed some walk-behind-the-mule southern farmers to make a living, not much of one, raising tobacco on tiny pieces of land. Edward R. Murrow, a legendary TV news reporter in the 1950's, was sponsored by a cigarette company. The contract obliged him to always, throughout a news report (15 minutes on air back then) to have a burning cigarette visible - in his mouth, in his hand or in an ashtray atop his deck and clearly visible during the program. Also, he was forbidden to show a news clip of anyone who was smoking or holding a cigar or pipe, with the single exception of Churchill.
I'd never heard that about Murrow, but I recall the smoke rising in every clip of his newscasts that I've ever seen. I just thought that he was an addict. It's funny that Winnie got an exception! Despite the attempts to make tobacco appear healthful, I believe that there were always people who realized that it was not, even before any publicized medical studies suggested that. One of the WWII slang terms for cigarettes was "coffin-nails."

09-02-2018, 06:20 PM   #698
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another advertising stunt. Nathan's hot dogs of Coney Island, to boost sales, offered in 1916 a free hot dog to any medical personnel, doctor, nurse, etc. who showed up wearing their "whites". Even further, Nathan hired local people, dressed them in doctor-style white jackets, and had them belly-up to the counter for a hot dog. Sales skyrocketed for the the "doctor approved" "tube steaks." This stunt has made it into the advertising-promotional hall of fame and appears in books about how-to-sell. BTW: I have read slightly different accounts of this advertising stunt. Some accounts only report the hired locals that become fake doctors, others sources only mention the free hot dog to any hospital personnel who showed up at lunch time wearing their hospital uniform. Possibly there is some question about what Nathan actually did, I'm guessing he may have done both.

Advertising campaigns that friends & I used to joke about involved 1) Texaco's "put a tiger in your tank" slogan; and 2) "TCP" which is a legitimate additive (tricresyl phosphate). Back in the 1960's some companies advertised that their gasoline contained TCP, but no translation was offered, so we figured for most companies it meant "Top Car Performance" = it was just advertising hokum, but for Texaco with that tiger in there, it meant "Tom Cat P---"
09-02-2018, 08:36 PM   #699
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Advertising campaigns that friends & I used to joke about involved 1) Texaco's "put a tiger in your tank" slogan; and 2) "TCP" which is a legitimate additive (tricresyl phosphate). Back in the 1960's some companies advertised that their gasoline contained TCP, but no translation was offered, so we figured for most companies it meant "Top Car Performance" = it was just advertising hokum, but for Texaco with that tiger in there, it meant "Tom Cat P---"
Wasn't it Esso (later Exxon) with the tiger in your tank slogan?

If I recall correctly, Texaco was "You can trust your car to the man who wears the star!"
09-02-2018, 09:08 PM   #700
dbs
Pentaxian

It was Esso in Australia

Dave
09-03-2018, 03:22 AM   #701
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Wasn't it Esso (later Exxon) with the tiger in your tank slogan?

If I recall correctly, Texaco was "You can trust your car to the man who wears the star!"
Yes. Sorry about that. My error - obviously.
09-03-2018, 03:22 PM   #702
dbs
Pentaxian

Hi Walt

Its ok it must be that messychewybits thing expanding

Dave
09-03-2018, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #703
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Walt Its ok it must be that messychewybits thing expanding Dave
Becoming a pandemic. I do my best in insure its survival and spread.
09-03-2018, 08:18 PM   #704
dbs
Pentaxian

Good.....good

Dave
09-04-2018, 01:30 PM   #705
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Texaco's slogan and jingle was in part:

You can trust your car
to the man who where's the star
the big bright TEXACO Star!

Paste this into your browser (without the quotation marks) to see video of a commercial with the full jingle:

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1zxOTDHIBQ"

For some reason the forum link feature wasn't giving an active link in my message.

Last edited by goatsNdonkey; 09-04-2018 at 01:40 PM.