Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-06-2011, 10:19 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Challenge 55

The window seat

Apologies for the delay; I'm traveling this week. I nearly always choose a window seat, particularly when flying over the western USA. While I didn't see many familiar landmarks on this flight, I did take plenty of shots and I think a few have potential, despite the very low contrast and skewed color range inherent with shooting from an airplane at 11,000 meters or so. (BTW, this is with a Pentax-M 1:1.7 50mm.) I think this is somewhere over Utah or perhaps Nevada. Let's see what you can do with it. Contest open from now through the end of 12 December (GMT). Winner gets to host the next challenge!

Download the RAW file: challenge55.PEF

or JPEG if you prefer: challenge55.jpg

For those hosting new challenges, here's the Mediafire Hosting login info

Login - pentaxchallenge@yahoo.com
Password - postprocessing

Good luck to everyone.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
12-07-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I love being one of the first posters to the PP Challenge. That way I don't feel like I'm copying anyone.

Worked from the JPEG version in PSP X. A little color adjustment, lots of the Clarify tool, and a couple of USM actions to enhance contrast and color.

A very fun image to work on. Great pick.

Tim
12-08-2011, 05:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Great addition Tim!

Here is mine. Thanks for the interesting perspective and challenge baronite.

Last edited by tessfully; 12-10-2011 at 08:08 AM.
12-09-2011, 12:08 AM - 1 Like   #4

Thank you baro-nite for allowing me to post my entry off-competition (I will be away for two weeks from the 17th). It was really fun to try to extract something out of the PEF file. atupdate, well done with the airplane + shadow .

12-10-2011, 12:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Here is my entry...

Decided to go with a sepia/brownish tone on this one...

12-10-2011, 12:56 AM   #6

First try at something like this - used ufraw and irfanview

12-10-2011, 07:21 AM   #7
kyc
Forum Member

Something out of the box, er, frame

Ever since I saw this trick framing demonstrated, I wanted to try it out. I realized I had an opportunity with this challenge. Not quite perfect, but I'm pleased with the "3D" effect.

Attached Images

Last edited by kyc; 12-10-2011 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Uploaded wrong image
12-10-2011, 09:42 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
I'm new to Pentax and now have a K5. I would like to shoot in Pentax RAW but when I attempt to open PEF RAW files in either Silkypix Developer Studio or Pentax Camera Utility 4. the file will not open, greyed out and not even recognized. Is it because I have the Mac versions do you think? Hope one of you RAW shooters can help me out. Cheers - Ken
12-11-2011, 12:14 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Kennuck Quote
I'm new to Pentax and now have a K5. I would like to shoot in Pentax RAW but when I attempt to open PEF RAW files in either Silkypix Developer Studio or Pentax Camera Utility 4. the file will not open, greyed out and not even recognized. Is it because I have the Mac versions do you think? Hope one of you RAW shooters can help me out. Cheers - Ken
If you are on a Mac - have you tried using the GIMP software? It apparently has ufraw built in. GIMP is free to download and use. Otherwise I'll let another Mac user chime in because I have no experience with Macs. Good luck.
12-11-2011, 07:52 AM   #10
kyc
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kennuck Quote
Straight out of the box, you should be able to view and edit (simple post-processing only) RAW files using iPhoto. You can also use Aperture (which is what I primarily use because editing is non-destructible) which is very reasonably priced via the App store. There are also lots of third party alternatives at varying prices, you can get a sampling by going to a site such as macupdate and doing a search for "RAW".

I don't use the software that came with my K-7, so I don't have any immediate suggestions on getting them tow ork with RAW files. However, perhaps you can verify that the files are not corrupted by opening them using iPhoto. This will rule out the (unlikely) possibility that there was a file transfer problem.