Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
12-28-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Single in January 2012

Single in January 2012

It's that time again a new month starts tomorrow and so does a new Single in challenge.

Everyone is welcome, veterans and newbies alike.

The basic idea of the January challenge is
  1. Take a picture a day
  2. Upload the picture to a "Single in January 2012" album in your album space on the forums or you can use Flickr (Single Challenge link) or other hosting service
  3. Post the picture to the daily thread here.
  4. Comment on other member's pictures. All comments will be warmly received from the basic "I like it" to "Well, I think you have quite successfully applied the Rule of Thirds to the composition of this shot"
You can freely select any single lens to use for the whole month. However, please include the lens details when you are posting your pictures.

If you are unsure how to post pictures please ask in this thread or check the threads from previous months.

There is no fixed theme for January as I write this invitation, but we the group may be open to suggestions?

I am sure this is all as clear as mud!

See you in January!

jackassp

Last edited by jackassp; 12-29-2011 at 06:49 AM.
12-28-2011, 05:14 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmmmm!

Cheers Paddy
12-29-2011, 02:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is tempting. I feel the urge to purchase a Q so I need something to keep it off my mind.

At the moment we have 6 hours and 45 minutes of daylight all of which I am bound to my desk. Therefore the lens has to be something relatively fast. In my bag thats either the FA 35mm f2 or the DA 70 f2.4. I don't think that I have used either for a single challenge before? So it's normal boring shots of a dimly lit green/brown landscape or slightly shaken tele shots of an equally dim and dull landscape *grin*. To get around this I need a theme to get me going throughout the month. I had lots of fun shooting churces a few months back, but this time around I think that I want to do something a little different. I am thinking either a month of monocrome with the 35 or a month of negative space with the 70. Help me choose?

Last edited by Zorglub; 12-29-2011 at 02:24 AM.
12-29-2011, 02:55 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I vote for monochrome, and if it's a little grainy, then all the better!

So very good to have you back Torben. I'm sure your talents will amaze all who participate.

12-29-2011, 05:38 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'm thinking yes on this one. I would use my Sigma lens as this is the time of year the migrating birds show up.

And Jack, your link that appears rule number 3, goes to the main page of the forums. Did you mean to do that?
12-29-2011, 06:50 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I'm thinking yes on this one. I would use my Sigma lens as this is the time of year the migrating birds show up.

And Jack, your link that appears rule number 3, goes to the main page of the forums. Did you mean to do that?
Thanks Mar, I fixed the link, and welcome back, you have been missed.

In the December thread, I suggested that we might like to consider having a second lens as a "wildcard" for a special shot or 2 or 3 or 4, what do others think about this?
12-29-2011, 07:07 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

YW Jack. I think a second lens is a good idea. When I'm out shooting birds, numerous times during the other single ins, I've wished I could use a macro setup because I see so many different shots where when using my monthly lens is too much.

12-29-2011, 07:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

@Jack, those are very kind words Sir! I too look forward to joining the shinanigans again :-)

About the multiple lenses question...
For me personally the challenge is the single lens and a shot every day. Multiple lenses defies the "single" aspect of the challenge. That said, if anybody else feels the need to spice it up with an aditional lens to make things interesting go right ahead! That leads me to the problem I always end up having. The one shot a day rule. I might be forced to do a few fillers during the month from past days if I can't make it. Hope thats ok.
12-29-2011, 11:19 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am going to join again
I gave birth to a little girl Lina, so I have a great subject (if you don't mind).
I will use the SMC Takumar 55mm F/1.8
12-29-2011, 11:22 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Iris Quote
I am going to join again
I gave birth to a little girl Lina, so I have a great subject (if you don't mind).
I will use the SMC Takumar 55mm F/1.8

12-29-2011, 11:34 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I think it's going to be a tough month for me to try and keep up with the challenge although I'm going to be shooting a lot. My daughter called this morning and she got accepted for the Mountain Dew Tour, a travelling Pro Snowboard and Freeskiing competition and will be here for a week in January at Killington. I think this will call for a new AF telephoto. I will be posting the shots in the forum regardless. I'm still undecided at this point but the third week of January will have me tied up.

Congrats on the new addition to the family, Iris!
12-29-2011, 12:25 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Congratulations Iris! I still remember your wonderful self portrait :-)
12-29-2011, 12:53 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Congrats Iris!! Would love to see the many phases of babyhood you can shoot.
12-29-2011, 02:52 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Congratulations again Iris, Lina sure is beautiful!
Welcome back to the challenge Iris, Rense, Torben, Mar, Paddy, Tim, Bruce, and anyone else I missed!

@Torben, the rules as always are just a guide. No-one will mind if the occasional shot is out of date...
12-30-2011, 04:06 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Iris...you little ripper! Congratulations.

For me..the humble SMC M 50mm f/2.0, the first lens I ever had, came with the K1000 all those years ago! Still a good workhorse I reckon.

Cheers and wellcome back all. Paddy