Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2012, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Everyday Objects

I don't know about you but I often search around the house for things to photograph. Many a time I've been caught facing the dreaded question:

"what on earth are you doing there???" OR "having fun there?" followed by a snicker.

umm.. just taking a photo...

So here's a place for you to show (or justify) pictures you've taken of everyday objects that people don't necessarily expect you to take photos of.

Here are a few of mine to start you off.

Jewellery hanging off the handle of my combustion fireplace

oatmeal in a canister

rug hanging off the fence

roll of sticky tape on the coffee table

Hope you'll all want to play!

click on images for exif data

02-07-2012, 11:17 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Because it's there!

I know how you feel, wolfiegirl. Thanks for a good idea.

K-7 / Soligor 35 @ f8, iso 3200
02-07-2012, 11:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
so pleased you can play all thumbs! i hope you come in and contribute often!
02-07-2012, 11:36 PM - 1 Like   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good idea for a thread Wolfiegirl, I like the Jewelry one and the oatmeal. I have some inside ones too but heres a backyard one to get started. I know picking up the trash can and cutting the grass is normal but taking a picture works for me!

Attached Images

02-08-2012, 01:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jaytee Quote
Good idea for a thread Wolfiegirl, I like the Jewelry one and the oatmeal. I have some inside ones too but heres a backyard one to get started. I know picking up the trash can and cutting the grass is normal but taking a picture works for me!
thanks jaytee i like the treatment you put on your garbage bin!

your talk about cutting grass reminds me I've got some shots of our lawnmower I should put up too.

*digs around*

aha! here we go

both taken on the k100d, sigma 18-200 megazoom @ 40mm and 45mm respectively. click on images for exif data
02-08-2012, 03:04 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A full water tank.

And a bottle of beer.

Richard.
02-08-2012, 03:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@ RichardS -

cool - how does the rain water gauge work? i have a big cement rainwater tank that we have to guesstimate as to how full it is. usually we wait for a hot day and then put our hands on the concrete. wherever the concrete goes from warm to cold is where we figure the water line is. not very scientific though..

02-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
...i hope you come in and contribute often!
Gladly .

Nice shots, everyone. I love the way photography can make almost any object interesting to look at. And hanging around Pentax Forums is inspiring because there're so many great ideas to steal!

I like the grungy, industrial look of your mower, wolfiegirl. Fortunately for me, my mower is still hibernating in the garage. But, speaking of lawns and water ...

(lawn sprinkler from last summer)

K10D / Vivitar 90 macro @ f4

Last edited by .a.t.; 02-08-2012 at 01:28 PM. Reason: grammar
02-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@ RichardS -

cool - how does the rain water gauge work? i have a big cement rainwater tank that we have to guesstimate as to how full it is. usually we wait for a hot day and then put our hands on the concrete. wherever the concrete goes from warm to cold is where we figure the water line is. not very scientific though..
The gauge is quite primitive. It's a float on the end of a length of string. The string is wound round a tensioned spindle inside the gauge head. The weight of the float is enough to unwind the string from the spindle. There's a geared reduction between the spindle and the rotation of the indicator arm. Does that make sense?

Richard.
02-08-2012, 03:51 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good idea for a thread, wg! Love the sprinkler shot, all thumbs. Here's a few recent goofing-off shots with the kit lens:

02-08-2012, 04:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by all thumbs Quote
Nice shots, everyone. I love the way photography can make almost any object interesting to look at. And hanging around Pentax Forums is inspiring because there're so many great ideas to steal! I like the grungy, industrial look of your mower, wolfiegirl. Fortunately for me, my mower is still hibernating in the garage. But, speaking of lawns and water ... (lawn sprinkler from last summer)
Thanks all thumbs. I really like your sprinkler shot!

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Here's a few recent goofing-off shots with the kit lens:
hahaha... used kitty food can! i reckon that could be interesting converted to bw and upping levels etc. all that dried kitty food could result in some interesting effects!

i can just imagine the look on everyone's face if they caught you shooting that.
02-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i can just imagine the look on everyone's face if they caught you shooting that.
They're used to me shooting the most mundane things around the house

02-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
They're used to me shooting the most mundane things around the house
oooo... nice!!!
02-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
The gauge is quite primitive. It's a float on the end of a length of string. The string is wound round a tensioned spindle inside the gauge head. The weight of the float is enough to unwind the string from the spindle. There's a geared reduction between the spindle and the rotation of the indicator arm. Does that make sense?

Richard.
ummm.. so the gauge basically is a string that you drop from the top and it'll tell you how low it is based on that? hrmm...
02-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

ummm.. so the gauge basically is a string that you drop from the top and it'll tell you how low it is based on that? hrmm...
Yup. There's a bit more to it e.g. setting the empty and full indicators, but it's not complicated at all. Of course, you can always do what my grandfather did - a dip stick