Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2012, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian
wolfiegirl's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Outside of Canberra, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,111
Everyday Objects

I don't know about you but I often search around the house for things to photograph. Many a time I've been caught facing the dreaded question:

"what on earth are you doing there???" OR "having fun there?" followed by a snicker.



umm.. just taking a photo...

So here's a place for you to show (or justify) pictures you've taken of everyday objects that people don't necessarily expect you to take photos of.

Here are a few of mine to start you off.

Jewellery hanging off the handle of my combustion fireplace


oatmeal in a canister


rug hanging off the fence


roll of sticky tape on the coffee table


Hope you'll all want to play!

click on images for exif data

02-07-2012, 11:17 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian
.a.t.'s Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 930
Because it's there!

I know how you feel, wolfiegirl. Thanks for a good idea.





K-7 / Soligor 35 @ f8, iso 3200
02-07-2012, 11:19 PM   #3
Pentaxian
wolfiegirl's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Outside of Canberra, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,111
Original Poster
so pleased you can play all thumbs! i hope you come in and contribute often!
02-07-2012, 11:36 PM   #4
Senior Member
jaytee's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: tucson,az
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 255
Good idea for a thread Wolfiegirl, I like the Jewelry one and the oatmeal. I have some inside ones too but heres a backyard one to get started. I know picking up the trash can and cutting the grass is normal but taking a picture works for me!

Attached Images
 
02-08-2012, 01:16 AM   #5
Pentaxian
wolfiegirl's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Outside of Canberra, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,111
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jaytee Quote
Good idea for a thread Wolfiegirl, I like the Jewelry one and the oatmeal. I have some inside ones too but heres a backyard one to get started. I know picking up the trash can and cutting the grass is normal but taking a picture works for me!
thanks jaytee i like the treatment you put on your garbage bin!

your talk about cutting grass reminds me I've got some shots of our lawnmower I should put up too.

*digs around*

aha! here we go





both taken on the k100d, sigma 18-200 megazoom @ 40mm and 45mm respectively. click on images for exif data
02-08-2012, 03:04 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
RichardS's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Nelson Bay, NSW, Australia
Posts: 2,388
A full water tank.


And a bottle of beer.


Richard.
02-08-2012, 03:07 AM   #7
Pentaxian
wolfiegirl's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Outside of Canberra, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,111
Original Poster
@ RichardS -

cool - how does the rain water gauge work? i have a big cement rainwater tank that we have to guesstimate as to how full it is. usually we wait for a hot day and then put our hands on the concrete. wherever the concrete goes from warm to cold is where we figure the water line is. not very scientific though..
02-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #8
Pentaxian
.a.t.'s Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 930
QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
...i hope you come in and contribute often!
Gladly .

Nice shots, everyone. I love the way photography can make almost any object interesting to look at. And hanging around Pentax Forums is inspiring because there're so many great ideas to steal!

I like the grungy, industrial look of your mower, wolfiegirl. Fortunately for me, my mower is still hibernating in the garage. But, speaking of lawns and water ...

(lawn sprinkler from last summer)

K10D / Vivitar 90 macro @ f4


Last edited by .a.t.; 02-08-2012 at 01:28 PM. Reason: grammar
02-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
RichardS's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Nelson Bay, NSW, Australia
Posts: 2,388
QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
@ RichardS -

cool - how does the rain water gauge work? i have a big cement rainwater tank that we have to guesstimate as to how full it is. usually we wait for a hot day and then put our hands on the concrete. wherever the concrete goes from warm to cold is where we figure the water line is. not very scientific though..
The gauge is quite primitive. It's a float on the end of a length of string. The string is wound round a tensioned spindle inside the gauge head. The weight of the float is enough to unwind the string from the spindle. There's a geared reduction between the spindle and the rotation of the indicator arm. Does that make sense?

Richard.
02-08-2012, 03:51 PM   #10
Pentaxian
paulh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,913
Good idea for a thread, wg! Love the sprinkler shot, all thumbs. Here's a few recent goofing-off shots with the kit lens:



02-08-2012, 04:06 PM   #11
Pentaxian
wolfiegirl's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Outside of Canberra, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,111
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by all thumbs Quote
Nice shots, everyone. I love the way photography can make almost any object interesting to look at. And hanging around Pentax Forums is inspiring because there're so many great ideas to steal! I like the grungy, industrial look of your mower, wolfiegirl. Fortunately for me, my mower is still hibernating in the garage. But, speaking of lawns and water ... (lawn sprinkler from last summer)
Thanks all thumbs. I really like your sprinkler shot!

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Here's a few recent goofing-off shots with the kit lens:
hahaha... used kitty food can! i reckon that could be interesting converted to bw and upping levels etc. all that dried kitty food could result in some interesting effects!

i can just imagine the look on everyone's face if they caught you shooting that.
02-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #12
Pentaxian
paulh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,913
QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote

i can just imagine the look on everyone's face if they caught you shooting that.
They're used to me shooting the most mundane things around the house

02-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #13
Pentaxian
wolfiegirl's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Outside of Canberra, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,111
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
They're used to me shooting the most mundane things around the house
oooo... nice!!!
02-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #14
Pentaxian
wolfiegirl's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Outside of Canberra, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,111
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
The gauge is quite primitive. It's a float on the end of a length of string. The string is wound round a tensioned spindle inside the gauge head. The weight of the float is enough to unwind the string from the spindle. There's a geared reduction between the spindle and the rotation of the indicator arm. Does that make sense?

Richard.
ummm.. so the gauge basically is a string that you drop from the top and it'll tell you how low it is based on that? hrmm...
02-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
RichardS's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Nelson Bay, NSW, Australia
Posts: 2,388
QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
ummm.. so the gauge basically is a string that you drop from the top and it'll tell you how low it is based on that? hrmm...
Yup. There's a bit more to it e.g. setting the empty and full indicators, but it's not complicated at all. Of course, you can always do what my grandfather did - a dip stick
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
20mm, adaptall, banana, bananas, canal, carts, close, contrast, day, f/3.8, foundry, intersection, lens, lenses, lot, love, object, objects, picture, post, thanks, thread, tire, vivitar
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fast Moving Objects LegOverHead Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 22 12-29-2011 02:44 AM
Lens Suggestions for Everyday, Indoors, Low Light? geekkt Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 36 10-30-2011 09:02 PM
Everyday lens - Portrait, Vacation and some Landscape LSUDAN Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 08-19-2011 07:33 AM
K-5 vs K-r (autofocus and tracking objects) WoRaS Pentax DSLR Discussion 13 02-26-2011 05:22 AM
Newbie looking to buy used pentax dslr + everyday use lens for under $500 US demondias Welcomes and Introductions 7 08-09-2010 12:29 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:39 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top