Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2017, 06:33 AM   #481
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
OK, according to The Science Behind Explore | in explore | Flickr adding groups within the first 24 hours might have a different effect than doing so later.
Aha, they may well be correct. And no doubt they are right about Explore being a "reward" for being active more than anything else. I'm not saying that good images don't make it into Explore, though!

This point mentioned in your link is obviously not correct, though:
QuoteQuote:
9. You will be blocked from Explore for a short period (currently 9 or 10 days) once you get one image in Explore.
I have seen several people getting into Explore two days in a row lately, and even two images on the same day (although that might just be a timezone thing).

10-23-2017, 04:41 AM   #482
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From that group's FAQ:

QuoteQuote:
19. How many images can I get in Explore at a time?

You are only supposed to get one; however, relatively rarely a user gets two or three.

Typically if you get more than one in Explore on the same day, one of them will place high in the ranks and the others low. Additionally, and also typical, only one of them will remain at the end of the day, as the others will be dropped.

In other words the algorithm's intent is to allow no more than one image from a user on any given day. Occasionally other images slip in, but the bot (or Flickr staff) catches this later and self corrects.
10-23-2017, 11:12 AM   #483
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
From that group's FAQ:
Interesting, thanks. I see utak has four "doubles" within the last year (according to bighugelabs), but then he gets quite a few explores. I'm in no imminent danger of experiencing the same anytime soon
10-23-2017, 12:59 PM   #484
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I've noticed that sometimes David Kract (a flickr admin I believe) adds a pic of mine to a group called 'in explore' which states that;

"Photos are added to the group pool by users accepting the ADMIN INVITATIONS ONLY. You cannot add images directly to the group pool yourself. Your image must have been in Flickr's Explore to get an Admin invite."
"In Explore" is a group whose photos are aggregated by a bot that searches for new additions to "explore". When one is found, the bot adds the photo subject to you agreeing. The "Admin" is not a Flickr employee, just the admin for the group. Getting a notification from "In Explore" is usually how people find out they have been listed.

Steve

10-23-2017, 01:30 PM   #485
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, as Steve says, David Kracht administers the "In Explore" group. He has a bot that sends messages to anyone whose image is explored, even briefly. But David isn't on Flickr staff.
10-24-2017, 11:44 AM   #486
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I see some people give a hastag and a number to their flickr explored pic, is Explore 'ranked'? It's never been clear to me when checking mine if my flickr Explore image sits at a particular spot in Explore...

Anyway, this one just got accepted (10 days after my last flickr Explore Item was accepted);

10-24-2017, 12:10 PM   #487
Veteran Member

I see some people give a hastag and a number to their flickr explored pic, is Explore 'ranked'?
Yes, photos in Explore are ranked by "interestingness" as determined by The Algorithm. The shots deemed most interesting are the ones at the top. Scout can tell you your ranking(s).

10-24-2017, 07:25 PM   #488
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Yes, photos in Explore are ranked by "interestingness" as determined by The Algorithm. The shots deemed most interesting are the ones at the top. Scout can tell you your ranking(s).
Interesting, so is Scout the only way to find this info out? When you say 'shots deemed most interesting' does that mean the ones that get the most views or favorites?

EDIT: Also my this one just got accepted into Explore, a day later than the other shot above, so yeh... the 9-10 day rule doesn't seem to be exclusive, frequent admissions do seem possible, even 24hrs or less.

Last edited by BruceBanner; 10-24-2017 at 09:59 PM.
10-25-2017, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #489
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interestingly, with the discussion here, I got two selected today. One ranked kind of high, one low, both were taken at the same place, My first since mid September, when I broke my ankle and that goofy shot was explored. I'm just getting back to being able to move enough to do any photography in the last few weeks. Most of what I had done in that time was with a Sony a6000, because I could carry it with a 20mm lens in my pocket. It's a nice little kit for portability.

Last edited by ramseybuckeye; 10-26-2017 at 07:23 PM.
10-25-2017, 05:03 PM   #490
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just used Scout again now to check on my pics, one of them isn't showing up today whereas yesterday it was, and checking flickr the image still appears in the group 'in explore'. Curious...
10-25-2017, 11:16 PM   #491
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

When you say 'shots deemed most interesting' does that mean the ones that get the most views or favorites?
The algorithm is only partially understood and is changed from time to time. "Interesting" is a combination of known pleasing photographic elements combined with initial popularity, favs, and comments. Things can be removed from explore and will as if they were never there. Inclusion in certain high traffic groups has been known to act as a poison pill.

The magic donkey does not like to be played to give an image or person exposure. Appealing to an enthusiast population, say model railroads, may also trigger an administrative removal since response may be spuriously high for photos with few redeeming qualities.

As for rank...highest is #1 and lowest within the explore window is #500. The link regarding the science of explore tells how photos float into the window and how they float out.

It is probably best to not overthink the process. Upload your stuff, be judicious in group submissions, and enjoy the brief fame when it happens.

Steve
10-25-2017, 11:18 PM   #492
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

This one was fun to make. Every year one of my hostas puts on a one-day show of color and this year I managed to catch the event on camera. I aimed for a "painterly" look in PP, liked the result, and so did Flickr.

Hosta Vibrante'

Steve
10-25-2017, 11:35 PM   #493
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I just used Scout again now to check on my pics, one of them isn't showing up today whereas yesterday it was, and checking flickr the image still appears in the group 'in explore'. Curious...
Once included in the group, they stay in the group (no connection to Flickr administration) regardless of whether a photo has been administratively removed (mysterious disappearance). Out of curiosity, was it the Lego photo that disappeared?

Steve
10-26-2017, 03:03 AM - 1 Like   #494
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Interestingly, with the discussion here, I got two selected today. One ranked kind of high, one low, both were taken at the same place, My first since mid September, when I broke my ankle and that goofy show was explored. I'm just getting back to being able to move enough to do any photography in the last few weeks. Most of what I had done in that time was with a Sony a6000, because I could carry it with a 20mm lens in my pocket. It's a nice little kit for portability.

Nice job.

The ankle one made me laugh, particularly the bots posting comments like "Wonderful shot!" or "Beautiful colors and framing!"
10-26-2017, 04:54 AM - 3 Likes   #495
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter