Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5447 Likes Search this Thread
08-14-2018, 10:42 PM - 3 Likes   #661
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
...and to think, I almost sent this one to the bit bin.

Tripping on the Grid

Pentax K-3, Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 | C

Steve

08-15-2018, 12:56 AM   #662
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Tripping on the Grid

Pentax K-3, Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 | C

Steve
Nah it's cool shot.

More and more I am seeing evidence that Flickr Explore genuinely does actually give different and 'interestingness' shots to making the cut, it's not always just the polished professional stunning images, but sometimes just the unusual and 'arty' ones. I like it!
08-15-2018, 04:42 AM - 2 Likes   #663
Pentaxian

Barely in at #467 this morning, and just hanging on at #498 as I type this...! Really like the shot, regardless.

08-15-2018, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #664
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
More and more I am seeing evidence that Flickr Explore genuinely does actually give different and 'interestingness' shots to making the cut, it's not always just the polished professional stunning images, but sometimes just the unusual and 'arty' ones. I like it!
I continue to find "Explore" puzzling. For sure "interestingness" is supposed to be the driver, but I have been amazed at the number each day that are interesting in only a limited sense. Today, for example, the top 100 included a nicely centered photo of the cover of a book on origami.

"new book!" by paper in dream, on Flickr

It may be that much of the dross (my photo included) might be manually curated out during the day, but I would hope that the algorithm might also be adjusted to be a little less friendly to school bus documentary snapshots.

"Mid-City Transit Corp. #167" by nybuspics, on Flickr

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Barely in at #467 this morning, and just hanging on at #498 as I type this...! Really like the shot, regardless.
Mine is just above you at #437.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-15-2018 at 08:54 AM.
08-15-2018, 11:05 AM   #665
Pentaxian

I continue to find "Explore" puzzling. For sure "interestingness" is supposed to be the driver, but I have been amazed at the number each day that are interesting in only a limited sense.

IMHO, the algorithm's definition of "interestingness" is based almost solely on engagement - the reactions your shot generates. I don't think it looks very much if at all at the content/composition/light/whatever of the shot itself. It's also, I think, heavily geared to the speed of the reaction of your network/groups. So getting some likes & comments very quickly is a good hint a shot might get picked...

My shot above has now been dropped, BTW.
08-15-2018, 11:35 AM   #666
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
My shot above has now been dropped, BTW.
I saw that and noted that mine has dropped in the rankings as well. OTOH, about half the trains and many of the buses are now gone too.

As far as interestingness, it is hard to say whether the actual photo content contributes much weight. I only have a modest number of followers (<200) and also only 13 images that have been explored. Of those, several of the stronger images received very little attention prior to being explored. I don't know if those came in by manual curation or by some aspect of the computer algorithm that gauges composition, colors, etc.. FWIW, I also don't promote widely in the groups I participate in.

Fotostevia on Flicker | Explored

Steve
08-15-2018, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #667
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I saw that and noted that mine has dropped in the rankings as well. OTOH, about half the trains and many of the buses are now gone too.

As far as interestingness, it is hard to say whether the actual photo content contributes much weight. I only have a modest number of followers (<200) and also only 13 images that have been explored. Of those, several of the stronger images received very little attention prior to being explored. I don't know if those came in by manual curation or by some aspect of the computer algorithm that gauges composition, colors, etc.. FWIW, I also don't promote widely in the groups I participate in.

Fotostevia on Flicker | Explored

Steve
Yeah I bet engagement has a lot to do with it, I'm quite an active bunny on flickr, posting my shots in a lot of groups as well as replying to all comments and then going around liking and commenting on other peoples work. It probably accounts for twice as many entries into Explore than you Steve, nothing to do with quality of work

Explore | Flickr

08-16-2018, 04:20 AM   #668
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think I've given up guessing what the underlying logic is - there was a time when I got zero explores, then a time when I got them every second day, up to three on a day occasionally - now I'm lucky if I get half a dozen a year. Something the algorithm is looking for has changed, but the camera model is the only thing I know for sure has!
08-20-2018, 01:51 PM - 2 Likes   #669
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This one was selected last night. This am it was ranked at #117, now dropping to #126 according to Scout

I was lucky enough to capture not only one, but TWO falling stars on a 14s single exposure frame with the Milky Way in background. These meteors are from the Perseid shower that occurred recently.
It took as much as 400 exposures between 10 and 30 seconds to get this result.

Deux étoiles filantes sur la Voie lactée / Two falling stars on the Milky Way

Pentax K-1 + Irix 15mm ƒ/2.4 Blackstone
14s, ƒ/2.8, ISO 8000
#irix15mm #PentaxK-1 #pentaxdslr #worldphotoday
08-20-2018, 01:53 PM   #670
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
omething the algorithm is looking for has changed, but the camera model is the only thing I know for sure has!
Just curious.. How can you affirm this ?

Does it means that using a recent camera model (such as the K-1) would be more subject to be selected by Explore?
08-20-2018, 02:08 PM - 2 Likes   #671
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
Just curious.. How can you affirm this ?

Does it means that using a recent camera model (such as the K-1) would be more subject to be selected by Explore?
Pure speculation about why - but I got far more explores with the K10D than with the K-3 - and more with the K-3 than the K-1 - that's the main thing that has changed - I don't think my pictures are less 'interesting' It might just be that a certain sage of your membership they give you more explores to get you established - in the end it's just inexplicable and I'm trying to apply logic to something that might not be logically based. oh yes - it seemed to like my pictures from Scotland, too
08-20-2018, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #672
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Pure speculation about why - but I got far more explores with the K10D than with the K-3 - and more with the K-3 than the K-1 - that's the main thing that has changed - I don't think my pictures are less 'interesting' It might just be that a certain sage of your membership they give you more explores to get you established - in the end it's just inexplicable and I'm trying to apply logic to something that might not be logically based. oh yes - it seemed to like my pictures from Scotland, too
Scotland bias hehe, I love it!
08-20-2018, 02:29 PM - 2 Likes   #673
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe a lot of the photos explored meet an unannounced theme of the day, On August 16 I had four photos explored, all of shorebirds, one was dropped. Nothing special about any of them.

08-22-2018, 03:08 AM   #674
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

no idea why, but Laney hit explore last night:

not once, but twice

08-22-2018, 05:05 AM - 3 Likes   #675
Veteran Member

Scout tells me this hit explore yesterday and is currently at #144.

It's a Hyalophora cecropia cocoon, with more under construction to the sides, under UV light. They'll be big beautiful moths by next spring. (Cross posted)