Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5447 Likes Search this Thread
02-17-2019, 02:15 PM - 3 Likes   #796
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I'm almost embarrassed to explain it Jeff. Just having a walk on the beach when the storm rolled in and the lightning flashes started. I had my humble K-S2 and DA 18-135. Didn't have my tripod. I thought my only chance to capture a lightning bolt was to use the slowest shutter speed I thought I could manage handheld (1/4th second). I framed the image at 24mm, pointed in the general direction of the storm and keep firing. After about 10 or 12 shots, bingo!

By then Di was suggesting that perhaps the beach wasn't the best place to be. Didn't get zapped and the rain didn't start in earnest until just after we got back to the car. There were lightning strikes all around on the way home. We had a slightly nervous discussion about whether a car really acted as a Faraday cage. One strike brought down a tree on the road ahead of us, although I managed to drive around it. The power was off across the district for about 6 hours. It was quite an evening.
Wow, that's quite a story. I think it's fantastic that you got the shot handheld. The first time I saw lightning triggers in action was at the Grand Canyon, and there must have been at least 10 photographers with their cameras all lined up on tripods, all with lightning triggers. Thinks me to myself, this is not my bag. I'd much rather do it your way, although perhaps with a safer shelter near at hand!

02-18-2019, 02:20 PM   #797
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Wow, that's quite a story. I think it's fantastic that you got the shot handheld. The first time I saw lightning triggers in action was at the Grand Canyon, and there must have been at least 10 photographers with their cameras all lined up on tripods, all with lightning triggers. Thinks me to myself, this is not my bag. I'd much rather do it your way, although perhaps with a safer shelter near at hand!
Yes spontaneity is part of the fun. But it was (pardon the expression) hit-and-miss. For a steady shot, 1/4th second was really pushing it. Until I got to see it on a monitor I was wondering whether the image had turned out OK. Ideally I would have used the CP-L in my bag but I just didn't think of it. I guess I could have used a faster shutter (say 1/15th or 1/30th) and fired lots and lots of shots but that would have meant less chance of catching the whole of a particular lightning bolt.

I didn't even know about lightning triggers. Seems to be quite a thing.

Last edited by Des; 02-18-2019 at 07:02 PM.
02-18-2019, 02:43 PM   #798
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I'd gone back in this thread a a bit I would have seen the frequency of multiple entries. Some FAQ I read about Explore was clearly wrong.

I'm almost embarrassed to explain it Jeff. Just having a walk on the beach when the storm rolled in and the lightning flashes started. I had my humble K-S2 and DA 18-135. Didn't have my tripod. I thought my only chance to capture a lightning bolt was to use the slowest shutter speed I thought I could manage handheld (1/4th second). I framed the image at 24mm, pointed in the general direction of the storm and keep firing. After about 10 or 12 shots, bingo!

By then Di was suggesting that perhaps the beach wasn't the best place to be. Didn't get zapped and the rain didn't start in earnest until just after we got back to the car. There were lightning strikes all around on the way home. We had a slightly nervous discussion about whether a car really acted as a Faraday cage. One strike brought down a tree on the road ahead of us, although I managed to drive around it. The power was off across the district for about 6 hours. It was quite an evening.
Yes spontaneity is part of the fun. But it was (pardon the expression) hit-and-miss. 1/4th second was really pushing it. Until I got to see it on a monitor I was wondering whether the image had turned out OK. Ideally I would have used the CP-L in my bag but I just didn't think of it. I guess I could have used a faster shutter (say 1/15th or 1/30th) and fired lots and lots of shots but that would have meant less chance of catching the whole of a particular lightning bolt.

I didn't even know about lightning triggers. Seems to be quite a thing.
Great story! I too am clueless about lightning triggers... cheaters!
02-18-2019, 07:12 PM - 3 Likes   #799
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
#172 on 2/15/19

Explore is weird. Personally, it is not my favorite shot updated in over one month...

02-21-2019, 03:11 AM - 4 Likes   #800
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

this is the highest entry (therefore highest view count) I've had for a long time - came in at 115 - and my first explore since Nov 1 last year - so that's a relief. One of the less remarked odities of Flckr to me is that you seldom have it all - the most viewed pictures are seldom the most favourited, and the most favourited are seldom the most commented- and also, there is no obvious correlation between any of those factors and new 'followers' added. Oh well - many fruitless pages have been added to the mystery that is Flickr

02-21-2019, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #801
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
also, there is no obvious correlation between any of those factors and new 'followers' added
Just so. To me the value of Flickr is connecting with other photographers and discovering interesting and inspirational work. From that point of view, Explore adds a lot of noise and little value. I get a kick out of it anyway.
02-21-2019, 08:14 AM - 4 Likes   #802
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This one also got explored, not sure exactly why.

02-22-2019, 05:17 PM - 7 Likes   #803
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I go a way for a few days and come back to an explored photo and a bunch of Faves [IMG][/IMG]
02-22-2019, 09:24 PM - 1 Like   #804
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
This one also got explored, not sure exactly why.
Maybe that's some compensation for all your fine images that don't get explored. Anyway I like it for the colours, composition and negative space. You should post in the farm animals thread: Ee-i-ee-i-oh! - Farm animals - PentaxForums.com
02-24-2019, 06:45 AM - 3 Likes   #805
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

02-24-2019, 08:41 AM - 7 Likes   #806
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NDLR: Ended that this photo had more than 155K views, almost doubled the best I had before! Incredible!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This one has been explored last night (2019.02.23)... Ranked #22 (2nd highest score ever of te 32 that had visited the Explored page...)

Petit-duc maculé (Forme rousse) / Eastern Screech Owl (Rufous Morph)
[Megascops asio]

Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Québec, CANADA
----------------------------------------------------
Pentax K-1 + SMC Pentax-FA* 250-600mm f5.6 ED [IF]
1/1600, ƒ/6.3, ISO 640

Petit-duc maculé (Forme rousse) / Eastern Screech Owl (Rufous Morph) [Megascops asio]

Last edited by Weevil; 03-02-2019 at 08:30 PM.
03-01-2019, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #807
Pentaxian

2/27/19 #128

03-01-2019, 01:40 PM - 4 Likes   #808
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe that's some compensation for all your fine images that don't get explored. Anyway I like it for the colours, composition and negative space. You should post in the farm animals thread: Ee-i-ee-i-oh! - Farm animals - PentaxForums.com
Thanks for the kind words! Here's another one that got explored, a sunset in Ciucas Mountains, just before setting up the tent for the night.

03-01-2019, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #809
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
2/27/19 #128
I told you it was a striking shot Ed!
QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Here's another one that got explored, a sunset in Ciucas Mountains, just before setting up the tent for the night.
Evening sun on the mountaintops - a classic.
03-01-2019, 08:52 PM - 1 Like   #810
Pentaxian

I told you it was a striking shot Ed!
I have to give that one to you, you said it indeed!