Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5440 Likes Search this Thread
07-29-2016, 04:31 AM - 2 Likes   #271
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
Seems that macro subjects are popular in Explore!
Indeed: another one this morning! Four this month! This one's odd, since it only got a mild reception from my contacts. But one person favorited with glowing comment just a few seconds after I posted it... Currently at #121.

08-02-2016, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #272
smf
Pentaxian

Hydrangea with Raindrops
Captured during a short session in our front yard
Handheld Pentax K-x with my beloved SMC Pentax-M Macro 1:4 100mm
[/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/KH74Q8]Hydrangea with Raindrops[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/stumfrohm2011/]smfmi[/url], on Flickr" target="_blank">

Last edited by smf; 08-02-2016 at 07:03 PM. Reason: fix link
08-05-2016, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #273
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

08-09-2016, 04:45 AM - 2 Likes   #274
Pentaxian

In at #178 this morning! BTW, the Tuesday Explore selection has become dominated by shots from the Macro Mondays group, where people are super active commenting and "favoriting" other member's shots. They have a weekly theme and this week is "flowers in black and white", and it's really evident in the Explore selection. I'd say they have over two thirds of the top 100 this morning...! Anyway, here's my shot - not a flower in black and white.

Last edited by Doundounba; 08-09-2016 at 10:41 AM.
08-10-2016, 01:23 PM   #275
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not sot on Pentax ( BB Classic) but it's a Pentax

08-11-2016, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #276
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Time lapse of the Milky Way on Explore today (Aug 10, 2016 #273)
Did not think a Video would come up in Explore, a total surprise!

Made with LRTimelapse Free evaluation edition in LR6...
Camera : Pentax K-3II (with astrotracer) + Bower 14mm f2.8
176 Frames at 25s / f3.2 / ISO 3200 each

Vidéo en accéléré de la voie-lactée au dessus du Mont-Glen (vitesse 1/4) / Time-Lapse video of the Milky-Way over Glen Mountain (1/4 speed)
by Sylvain Cote, sur Flickr
08-17-2016, 05:49 AM - 1 Like   #277
smf
Pentaxian

Handheld K-S2 with SMC Pentax-F, 1:4-5.6 100-300 at 300, ISO 200, 1/320, f5.6

08-17-2016, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #278
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's today's - first in ages

08-17-2016, 06:55 AM   #279
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
In at #178 this morning
Just curious what this means ... Is there such a thing as "ranking" in Flickr Explore?
If so, where does that show?

BTW, excellent images you have on your Flickr account!
08-17-2016, 08:19 AM   #280
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Just curious what this means ... Is there such a thing as "ranking" in Flickr Explore?

Yes... just use the "scout" web app to see which of your image hit explores, some may be dropped after doing a quick passage in the 500 images selected on a specific day
Ex here with my profile (just substitute with yours)
Scout: Curculion
08-17-2016, 08:39 AM   #281
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

just to add to that - the ranking -the position pn the page - doesn't always have a great deal to do with the quality of the picture - the top few are generally quite good, but lower than 100 you get some very ordinary pictures ranked above much better ones - there are many dark arts in the rankings - some people at some times seem to have many more explores than others and some invariably go in higher than others regardless (IMO) of quality - I'm sure the intention is to make it impossible to game the system, but the results can be quite arbitrary. What is sure is that the higher a picture is in the rankings (generally speaking) the more views it will get - the top ten can expect tens of thousands, the bottom 100 will do well to break the 2000 view barrier - again, IMO, regardless of quality - of course an exceptional top 10 picture will get many more views than an average one, but the average one will get many more views than an exception picture in the bottom half of the rankings.
08-17-2016, 12:52 PM   #282
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
Yes... just use the "scout" web app to see which of your image hit explores, some may be dropped after doing a quick passage in the 500 images selected on a specific day
Ex here with my profile (just substitute with yours)
Scout: Curculion
Thanks Weevil.

So that works! Only to find out that of the very few that were "explored", most were "dropped" a while back.
Mind you, I have no idea how their "selection process" works .... it seems that if you happen to be at the right place at the right time, then you might be lucky!
Anyway, I post photos there at Flickr mostly for quick retrieval.

JP

---------- Post added 08-17-16 at 03:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
just to add to that - the ranking -the position pn the page - doesn't always have a great deal to do with the quality of the picture - the top few are generally quite good, but lower than 100 you get some very ordinary pictures ranked above much better ones - there are many dark arts in the rankings - some people at some times seem to have many more explores than others and some invariably go in higher than others regardless (IMO) of quality - I'm sure the intention is to make it impossible to game the system, but the results can be quite arbitrary. What is sure is that the higher a picture is in the rankings (generally speaking) the more views it will get - the top ten can expect tens of thousands, the bottom 100 will do well to break the 2000 view barrier - again, IMO, regardless of quality - of course an exceptional top 10 picture will get many more views than an average one, but the average one will get many more views than an exception picture in the bottom half of the rankings.
Indeed I can see that it often happens that, in "Explored" photos, some are really, really great whereas some shouldn't even be there.
There is one thing in particular that brought my attention:
I browsed through some of the Explored images and click to the corresponding photographers and, to my utter surprise, a few of those steadily have 99 plus "faves" and 99 plus "comments", no matter what. Well I even saw one with an awfully distorted horizon, bad lighting and OOF scenery that topped the rankings!
Go figure!

I am not expecting to be "explored" when I post photos there, just that I use the site for quick retrieval and being able to grab one to post somewhere else such as here in Pentax Forums.

Thanks for the feedback.

JP
08-17-2016, 02:55 PM   #283
Pentaxian

Others have already pointed you to Scout, so I'll just say thanks for you comment on my Flickr stream!

It would be nice if Flickr revealed a bit more about how the "interestingness" algorithm (that builds the Explore section) works. (BTW, here is some useful reading about it.) My own opinion is that it is heavily geared towards the speed of the response from your followers when you publish a shot. My explored shots have usually been photos that very quickly gathered one or two glowing comments within a few minutes of being posted. I just yesterday posted a shot that got some of the most positive response I've ever had (much more comments and faves than usual). But the comments and faves didn't come in super fast after posting, and the shot was not explored. In general, other factors are no doubt also at play. Like the fact that if you post a shot to many groups (like more than five or six), it is less likely to be explored. I suspect the algorithm may also "look" at the image itself, but as others have noted, many explored photos are fairly pedestrian shots by people with an active following.

Also, for some people that have streams where every shot has 99+ favorites (and they're not all exceptional), that doesn't necessarily come from Explore. Sometimes they are people that themselves distribute ungodly amounts of likes and they receive reciprocation likes in return. I suspect this is sometimes done via bots, actually. I like shots pretty actively amongst the people I follow, and after a few years I'm still well under 10k likes given, while I see some accounts that have given many hundreds of thousands of likes. I can't imagine having done that manually, though it's perhaps not quite impossible...

Last edited by Doundounba; 08-18-2016 at 12:37 PM. Reason: typo
08-18-2016, 12:33 PM - 2 Likes   #284
Pentaxian

Just stumbled upon this thread, so here are some older ones ...

08-20-2016, 07:23 PM - 3 Likes   #285
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got another one in that I actually like.