Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5447 Likes Search this Thread
10-26-2017, 11:42 AM   #496
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Once included in the group, they stay in the group (no connection to Flickr administration) regardless of whether a photo has been administratively removed (mysterious disappearance). Out of curiosity, was it the Lego photo that disappeared?

Steve
Yup, the latest Lego one that is (I've had a couple others in the past in Explore). Scout: Find your photos in Flickr's Explore pages. > 95230640@N04 (< my ID), shows all my Explore shots. It was The Walking Dead one posted here a few posts back, and then the very next day that Pentax KP shot got selected, I wonder if they really don't like 2 shots in Explore so close together (from same user), so one had to be 'removed' and thus the lego one got bumped? It was 100% in that Scout website before, I recall refreshing the page until the Pentax KP one showed up, and when it did the Lego one vanished

10-26-2017, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #497
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Yup, the latest Lego one that is (I've had a couple others in the past in Explore). Scout: Find your photos in Flickr's Explore pages. > 95230640@N04 (< my ID), shows all my Explore shots. It was The Walking Dead one posted here a few posts back, and then the very next day that Pentax KP shot got selected, I wonder if they really don't like 2 shots in Explore so close together (from same user), so one had to be 'removed' and thus the lego one got bumped? It was 100% in that Scout website before, I recall refreshing the page until the Pentax KP one showed up, and when it did the Lego one vanished
The reason why I guessed the Lego photo is that there is a strong prejudice against retaining photos that slip in based on fan response. A quick glance through Explore as of late shows an alarming number of Barbies, troll-like dolls, and Legos. While some are creative and clever, most are just photos of dolls and completed Lego projects. The prototype would be trainspotting shots with yesterday having one towards the bottom of the page that was a snapshot of three or four guys at a crossing taking pictures of a diesel locomotive on the tracks. I would expect it is not there today, victim of an administrative "drop".

I sort of figure that camera gear p0on will probably be weeded out as well at some point if the photo has no particular aesthetic merit. BTW...Your KP shot is simply striking. Good work

Steve
10-26-2017, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #498
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

95230640@N04 (< my ID), shows all my Explore shots.
I just took a glance there and noticed that all of your visible "dropped" photos were ranked at close to #500. It is not unusual for those to disappear due to "late bloomer" entries that come in a day or two afterwards and push those at the bottom of the page off explore for that day. That happened to my Exakta VX1000 shot above.

An administrative drop, OTOH, results in the photo disappearing from the explore page AND scout regardless of whether the "dropped" flag is active. I have at least one that had a fairly high initial rank (under #200) that simply dropped from sight after I added it to "Group with Experience". I learned my lesson on that one

Steve
10-26-2017, 07:28 PM   #499
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Nice job.

The ankle one made me laugh, particularly the bots posting comments like "Wonderful shot!" or "Beautiful colors and framing!"
Yea, when you get those comments on a crap photo, it just makes you cringe. I have a "follower" that for several weeks anyway was the first to fave each and every photo I posted.The guy is a good photographer, but he's not faving all of those photos. Just another way to get followers and likes.

10-27-2017, 01:35 AM   #500
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The reason why I guessed the Lego photo is that there is a strong prejudice against retaining photos that slip in based on fan response. A quick glance through Explore as of late shows an alarming number of Barbies, troll-like dolls, and Legos. While some are creative and clever, most are just photos of dolls and completed Lego projects. The prototype would be trainspotting shots with yesterday having one towards the bottom of the page that was a snapshot of three or four guys at a crossing taking pictures of a diesel locomotive on the tracks. I would expect it is not there today, victim of an administrative "drop".

I sort of figure that camera gear p0on will probably be weeded out as well at some point if the photo has no particular aesthetic merit. BTW...Your KP shot is simply striking. Good work

Steve
I just took a glance there and noticed that all of your visible "dropped" photos were ranked at close to #500. It is not unusual for those to disappear due to "late bloomer" entries that come in a day or two afterwards and push those at the bottom of the page off explore for that day. That happened to my Exakta VX1000 shot above.

An administrative drop, OTOH, results in the photo disappearing from the explore page AND scout regardless of whether the "dropped" flag is active. I have at least one that had a fairly high initial rank (under #200) that simply dropped from sight after I added it to "Group with Experience". I learned my lesson on that one

Steve
Thanks for that, good explanations as to what's going on with Explore. I didn't see the 'dropped' section of Scout, didn't even know that Flickr dropped shots! Some of my dropped shots I didn't even know they made it into Flickr, like you say... a few Lego ones there got dropped as well. Cool! Good to know.
10-29-2017, 07:02 AM - 2 Likes   #501
Pentaxian

In unexpectedly today at #465 - will probably get dropped though. Now I have to wonder if I should post my better shots during the next 9-10 days. I posted a shot that got a fantastic reception from my contacts - lots of faves and comments very quickly (for me) - eight days after my last explore, and was duly ignored by The Algorithm. Not sure that that 9-day ban isn't there for at least some people...

Anyway, this one's in right now:

EDIT: And... dropped.

Last edited by Doundounba; 10-29-2017 at 02:13 PM.
10-31-2017, 05:28 AM - 2 Likes   #502
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some colourful ice:

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
OK, according to The Science Behind Explore | in explore | Flickr adding groups within the first 24 hours might have a different effect than doing so later.
This is only my 3rd in explore, I did notice they were all panorama type images. I checked out this link on how [they think] explore works and it it turns out my default upload size was below 1600px on the long side and this excludes things, but the panoramas all were larger. I've upped it to match this. I've noticed a drop in requests for hot dates on flickr, maybe this will help.

11-03-2017, 08:53 AM - 3 Likes   #503
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

11-03-2017, 02:03 PM   #504
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
In unexpectedly today at #465 - will probably get dropped though. Now I have to wonder if I should post my better shots during the next 9-10 days. I posted a shot that got a fantastic reception from my contacts - lots of faves and comments very quickly (for me) - eight days after my last explore, and was duly ignored by The Algorithm. Not sure that that 9-day ban isn't there for at least some people...

Anyway, this one's in right now:

EDIT: And... dropped.
lol, we need to start a 'Dropped from Explore' group/page ahahahah (<crying and laughing at same time> :'(
11-08-2017, 11:08 AM - 5 Likes   #505
Pentaxian

Boom! Pretty happy with this selection. Got in around #56, currently at #65, and should hang on in the top 100, I hope.

lol, we need to start a 'Dropped from Explore' group/page ahahahah (<crying and laughing at same time> :'(
This thread covers it, I think. Even if a shot gets dropped, it was still on Explore, so can be posted here.
11-08-2017, 04:42 PM   #506
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Boom! Pretty happy with this selection. Got in around #56, currently at #65, and should hang on in the top 100, I hope.

This thread covers it, I think. Even if a shot gets dropped, it was still on Explore, so can be posted here.
Excellent macro!
11-09-2017, 09:22 AM - 1 Like   #507
Pentaxian

SMC "K" 28/3.5 on K-1 plus a bit of post in Lr4 ...

11-10-2017, 12:38 AM - 1 Like   #508
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This one from me today;

Funny, I didn't even post this (yet) in the the 'Best KP shots' thread, as I felt it missed the mark, focus wise, but still gets into Explore. I think it will get bumped tho...

EDIT: Currently #393 Now #447... goodbye Explore!

Last edited by BruceBanner; 11-10-2017 at 10:46 PM.
11-10-2017, 06:28 AM   #509
Pentaxian

Excellent macro!
Thanks!

In the weird file: I just noticed from Scout that this other shot, which I posted upthread and which was dropped from Explore during the day, has now been re-added (at #437). A couple of weeks later! This has never happened to one of my shots. Added late, sure, but never coming back after being dropped. Anyway, I don't think many people will check the bottom of the Explore page from weeks back...
11-13-2017, 12:09 AM - 5 Likes   #510
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey, just got my first ever double with these night shots