Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2018, 03:42 AM   #556
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Thank you kindly.

I only have like 4-5 pictures on Explore, I don't know how their algorithm works but somehow my least favorite pics end up on Explore, while pictures that I'm really happy with never make it

Anyway here's the second one (from Galway, Ireland).

I used to think of it as an accolade, but not so much anymore. I think a lot of Explore has to do with how fast after you post an image you get comments and favs. There's probably more to it than that, but it certainly isn't a judge of which of your photos are best. Even Flickr just calls it a measure of "interestingness" I think.

01-23-2018, 12:31 PM   #557
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Thank you kindly.

I only have like 4-5 pictures on Explore, I don't know how their algorithm works but somehow my least favorite pics end up on Explore, while pictures that I'm really happy with never make it

Anyway here's the second one (from Galway, Ireland).

Nice shot. I often feel the same way, like... why are you picking this pic when right next to it is a far better one

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I used to think of it as an accolade, but not so much anymore. I think a lot of Explore has to do with how fast after you post an image you get comments and favs. There's probably more to it than that, but it certainly isn't a judge of which of your photos are best. Even Flickr just calls it a measure of "interestingness" I think.
I think 'David Kracht' is a flickr admin, I have had him added for a few years and he does upload a new pic every now and then, when my pics hit Explore (from my end) it's him that does the invite (some of the time).
01-23-2018, 01:01 PM   #558
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Nice shot. I often feel the same way, like... why are you picking this pic when right next to it is a far better one

I think 'David Kracht' is a flickr admin, I have had him added for a few years and he does upload a new pic every now and then, when my pics hit Explore (from my end) it's him that does the invite (some of the time).
David Kracht has written a script that detects when Flickr adds an image to Explore, but as far as I know he isn't employed by Flickr and doesn't actually choose the images that are selected. He just has a group called "In Explore" that he tries to invite all explored images to be a part of.

The Flickr Explore process is pretty mysterious and seems to have something to do with number of likes versus comments, not being in too many groups, and having images that are big enough.
01-28-2018, 10:58 PM - 1 Like   #559
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Couple more got into Explore today;

---------- Post added 01-29-18 at 04:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
David Kracht has written a script that detects when Flickr adds an image to Explore, but as far as I know he isn't employed by Flickr and doesn't actually choose the images that are selected. He just has a group called "In Explore" that he tries to invite all explored images to be a part of.

The Flickr Explore process is pretty mysterious and seems to have something to do with number of likes versus comments, not being in too many groups, and having images that are big enough.
Ah! That makes total sense now.

01-29-2018, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #560
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This had a brief appearance in the showcase, before being pushed out to the "long tail":

01-29-2018, 01:34 PM - 4 Likes   #561
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

My sunset shot from South Africa just hit Explore at #106 - my highest so far, I believe I think it's the first time I've had one from a bit down my stream being picked up.

02-07-2018, 01:19 AM - 3 Likes   #562
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wowzers, this one's currently at #56. Lego figures may be an advantage, but catching OzzRod is better! (Or is it because this is a K-1 photo of a K-1?)

RK in NZ
K-1, K55/1.8 wide open w/ polarizer, Iridient Developer

02-07-2018, 01:24 AM   #563
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Wowzers, this one's currently at #56. Lego figures may be an advantage, but catching OzzRod is better! (Or is it because this is a K-1 photo of a K-1?)

RK in NZ
Rarely seen in the wild - great catch!

Extra points for using the K55
02-07-2018, 01:43 AM   #564
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote

RK in NZ
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Rarely seen in the wild - great catch!

Extra points for using the K55
What's better than an Ozzrod pic? A picture of Ozzrod taking a pic!
02-09-2018, 03:35 AM - 1 Like   #565
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's another baffling explore, for today - I sometimes wonder if they don't just select every nth picture based on some sort of prime number based algorithm - there was no special,interest in this (for obvious reasons) before it hit Explore

02-09-2018, 05:20 AM   #566
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Here's another baffling explore, for today - I sometimes wonder if they don't just select every nth picture based on some sort of prime number based algorithm - there was no special,interest in this (for obvious reasons) before it hit Explore

I have a couple of those. I'm still convinced that Flickr uses Explores to encourage activity.
02-09-2018, 05:31 AM - 2 Likes   #567
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

before I left for Texas last week, these two hit Explore

02-09-2018, 01:20 PM   #568
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
before I left for Texas last week, these two hit Explore

Nice shots.
02-13-2018, 03:59 AM   #569
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Nice shots.
thank you...

it's odd that flickr seems to be now doing 'explore' picks in pairs... anyone else have this happen?
02-13-2018, 04:02 AM - 3 Likes   #570
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

K-3 with SMC A 200mm f4

like these two - both hit explore last night: