Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2019, 04:54 AM - 2 Likes   #916
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Do any of you look at the Flickr photostreams of those who "fave" your Explored shot? I have found some very talented photographers and seen some really interesting places by doing this when I get the chance.
Yes, when it's a manageable number. I do discover some photographers to follow that way, which is the main thing I value about Explore. But I find the best way to expand my Flickr circle is look through the "following" lists of the photographers I follow. I ought to do so more often.

06-14-2019, 06:41 AM - 1 Like   #917
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Do any of you look at the Flickr photostreams of those who "fave" your Explored shot? I have found some very talented photographers and seen some really interesting places by doing this when I get the chance.
Sometimes, though many of the favs and comments from explored images are done with bots to encourage greater exposure for the bot owner.

Steve
06-14-2019, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #918
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Lovely. Bucket list location for any landscape photographer and I hope to get there some day.
I ran into a couple from New England who flew to Spokane that day specifically to photograph The Palouse and who went directly to Steptoe for the golden hour. There were also people from Europe and Asia and a few with vans set up for long distance photo excursion. Oh, and I did see a few VERY impressive camera/lens setups. I talked to one guy at length who was shooting with a $10,000 Nikkor. He told me there were about 300 photographers there the day before.

It is pretty overwhelming in much the same way as Yosemite, Zion, or Canyonlands. It did not take me too long to realize that I will need to do a follow-up visit of several more days. I also realized that I am badly deficient* at the long end lens-wise and need a tripod head upgrade too.

Steve

* Steptoe Butte and much of the rest of The Palouse rewards a narrow FOV. Even at ground level, the compositions tend to be tight and I was shooting with everything I had with me that could give me 50mm or longer (Sigma 17-70, 77 Limited, and an old-school Tamron SP 70-210).
06-14-2019, 12:25 PM - 2 Likes   #919
Veteran Member

In general, what I try to do is first look at the other favorites of people who give me faves. With this you can quickly discern a bot (your photo isn't even on the first page less than ten minutes after receiving the fave), someone who just faves everything on Explore (you see your shot and everything else from that day's Explore, may or may not be a bot), or someone who's genuinely interested in your genre of photography (many photos of similar genre in the faves & yours isn't too far from the top). In that last case, then I'll have a look at their stream, definitely, as well as possibly the streams of some of the better images in that Favorites page.

After an Explore, there's usually too many faves coming in to do this systematically. But I find, in general, that looking at the Favorites page of someone who gives me one or many faves is a useful place to start...

06-14-2019, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #920
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
In general, what I try to do is first look at the other favorites of people who give me faves. With this you can quickly discern a bot
That is a good idea. I usually look at the photostream and some other info to assess whether it's a bot-site or a real person, but I like you method.
06-15-2019, 04:25 AM - 3 Likes   #921
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

this pair were picked up for explore overnight:

06-16-2019, 10:07 PM - 4 Likes   #922
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
My cat's a star. He got explored twice:
Fabby shot of a tabby cat (I have one too, he's been Explored a few times, cats rule the internet etc!) ʘ̥ꀾʘ̥

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I actually like this one
Same, great capture!

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Had this one added later in the cycle, surprisingly in the #1 spot.

'Made it ma! Top of the World! - YouTube
Cool! I never met a numero uno Explorer person before, I feel touched! hahaha, nah congrats, that's cool. I checked your view count, 55k, that's not as many as I thought you might get, I've had that or more for some shots under the top 50 I think. It's making me wonder now about seeing some shots that have 200k or more, are they just bot likes etc? I saw this one Flickr account, every shot was a top notch landscape shot and had 100-400kk views and 400 faves etc, every single shot... I can't understand how, fake likes and views, only keeping the shots that get that kinda count and culling the others to make his account seem extremely high level? Or perhaps you need to be in other groups more than Explore where there are even higher view and favs to be gained? Could it be Explore is not the big boi in town?

I reply to all the comments and check out those accounts. It's obvious when I get a double or triple explore and the comment is exactly the same from the same person on each image, obvious automated script etc, but when it's not I tend to reply and check out the other peoples work. I far rather have comments than favs, I like the community aspect and people respecting others work and learning from them.

-------------

Ok, two got picked up today but due to my bordering will likely be dropped. First one is sitting at #17, the second at #51;

Be interesting to see what view count I get before it's dropped. #17 is pretty high, I expect a good 20-50k if by going by previous experience around this figure, but that's based on shots that weren't bordered/dropped. Every shot I have had that made it into Explore with this same bordering has been dropped so it's to be expected.

06-17-2019, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #923
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Cool! I never met a numero uno Explorer person before, I feel touched! hahaha, nah congrats, that's cool. I checked your view count, 55k, that's not as many as I thought you might get, I've had that or more for some shots under the top 50 I think. It's making me wonder now about seeing some shots that have 200k or more, are they just bot likes etc? I saw this one Flickr account, every shot was a top notch landscape shot and had 100-400kk views and 400 faves etc, every single shot... I can't understand how, fake likes and views, only keeping the shots that get that kinda count and culling the others to make his account seem extremely high level? Or perhaps you need to be in other groups more than Explore where there are even higher view and favs to be gained? Could it be Explore is not the big boi in town?
That image got added later in the cycle, more than halfway through, so less activity than one might expect. Also, I think the images that are more eye-catching at small size get more views, and this was not one of those "Epic, man!" kind of images. I'm sure a lot of the faves and some of the comments are bot-driven; views maybe not so much, because you can fave without doing a full view (sometimes early on one has more faves than views). No doubt some users do tend their accounts to keep only the Explored and/or high hit-count images. Plenty of users rely on bots or indiscriminate faving to get "courtesy faves" in return.
06-17-2019, 06:48 PM   #924
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well those two bridge shots turned out quite interesting. The first one (landscape) at #17 got dropped quickly, in fact... not even dropped I think but just erased (Scout is not showing it at all). The only proof I have is the 'in explore' invite from David Kract and the fact I saw it at #17 in Explore on the day.

The second portrait shot seems to have stayed (and that's a first for me getting one to remain in Explore with that bordering), it went from #51 to #39 and is now at #41. 34k views.

I agree that the 'jazzy small' shots will likely grab more attention. I'm looking at a few other past Explores (dates) and it does seem that 50-70k is normal for first 1-5 images etc. I am now pretty suspect on that account that had 100-400k views on every image he had, I mean don't get me wrong the shots were good... but how is that kinda view count (and fav tally of over 1k each easily) possible if the shots are actually not even in Explore... :/
06-18-2019, 05:43 AM   #925
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
how is that kinda view count (and fav tally of over 1k each easily) possible if the shots are actually not even in Explore... :/
How many faves has that photographer given out? I'm still under 2K after several years, and I try to look at every image posted by the photographers I follow (currently 300-some). I have a hunch that the account in question has given out orders of magnitude more faves and has a "following" list well over 10K. That, plus a small collection of eye-catching images, seems to be a reliable way to boost stats.
06-20-2019, 10:51 PM - 2 Likes   #926
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Well, this is interesting...I do an evaluation of the recently acquired Lester A. Dine 105mm dental macro ("The Doctor") and one the test photos gets explored...

The Doctor is on a Roll

Pentax K-3, Lester A. Dine 105/2.8 Macro

The flowers are called Tritelia laxa (Ithuriel's Spear). In at #24.

Steve
06-21-2019, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #927
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Explored today:-

Cloudscape off Porthmeor Beach, St. Ives, Cornwall

06-22-2019, 03:15 AM - 2 Likes   #928
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm breaking all the rules recently, with one shot with a strong border and watermark remaining in Explore (40k views), and now this new entry, with a milder border, but oddly getting into Explore so soon after the last two (less than 7 days later);

Sitting in at #81
06-26-2019, 03:58 PM   #929
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

bizarre, the fickle finger of flickr explore:

06-26-2019, 06:13 PM   #930
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
bizarre, the fickle finger of flickr explore:

I dunno, it's quite a cool shot, remember... it's about 'interestingness', when you take shots of things that are not often seen (such as bike cogs... can't think I have seen too many of those kinda shots before) I think it tickles Explore