Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2512 Likes Search this Thread
07-22-2021, 03:18 PM - 3 Likes   #2101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
O’Grady’s Falls, one of the many waterfalls on Mount Wellington, behind Hobart.

Taken with the K-3iii and the DA*16-50/2.8 SDM.

07-22-2021, 05:53 PM   #2102
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Taken with the K-3iii and the DA*16-50/2.8 SDM.
Beautiful, truly beautiful.

tt
07-22-2021, 11:49 PM   #2103
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Beautiful, truly beautiful.

tt
Thanks, Tony. Nature did the hard work, but the K-3iii acquitted itself fairly well, too, especially given the slow shutter speed, hand-held.
07-26-2021, 08:22 PM - 1 Like   #2104
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

07-27-2021, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #2105
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not too much water moving at the moment, but this shows damage to a local road following the second catastrophic failure of a beaver dam in my town. The dam was off in the woods to the left, both it and the pond and very extensive swamp behind it were easily visible from the road. Water continues to flow out from the swampy area which goes far, far back into the woods.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-M10MarkII  Photo 
07-27-2021, 02:23 PM   #2106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Not too much water moving at the moment, but this shows damage to a local road following the second catastrophic failure of a beaver dam in my town. The dam was off in the woods to the left, both it and the pond and very extensive swamp behind it were easily visible from the road. Water continues to flow out from the swampy area which goes far, far back into the woods.
One very large culvert needed, I imagine!
07-27-2021, 03:34 PM   #2107
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
One very large culvert needed, I imagine!
The culvert that was ripped out was composed of at least three modest diameter steel tubes, at least I saw three such tubes lying downstream of the break in the road. It would surprise me if those were new pipes already brought in for repair. As noted, the town didn't have the money to repair far lesser damage caused by the earlier beaver dam failure. There will have to be cost assessment, application for disaster relief from the state or the feds, surveying and engineering analysis etc. before any serious work begins. They might do an emergency temporary repair, but considering the magnitude of the damage, I am skeptical of that course of action would provide a safe passage over the break.

07-27-2021, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #2108
Pentaxian

Lynton, Devon

KP and 16-85

07-27-2021, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #2109
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
The culvert that was ripped out was composed of at least three modest diameter steel tubes, at least I saw three such tubes lying downstream of the break in the road. It would surprise me if those were new pipes already brought in for repair. As noted, the town didn't have the money to repair far lesser damage caused by the earlier beaver dam failure. There will have to be cost assessment, application for disaster relief from the state or the feds, surveying and engineering analysis etc. before any serious work begins. They might do an emergency temporary repair, but considering the magnitude of the damage, I am skeptical of that course of action would provide a safe passage over the break.
It is unfortunate that many rural counties and small cities do not have the funds for such damages. When I worked in emergency management most of the damage in most areas of MO was caused by flooding and some was substantial particularly when a bridge got washed out (The Joplin Tornado was the one freak event that probably racked up more than many floods, though). FEMA provides money for the locals but there is never enough to go around. I don't seem to have many photos that I took years ago from flood events, here is one that I can find and it is more recent.

07-27-2021, 07:33 PM   #2110
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KC0PET Quote
It is unfortunate that many rural counties and small cities do not have the funds for such damages. When I worked in emergency management most of the damage in most areas of MO was caused by flooding and some was substantial particularly when a bridge got washed out (The Joplin Tornado was the one freak event that probably racked up more than many floods, though). FEMA provides money for the locals but there is never enough to go around. I don't seem to have many photos that I took years ago from flood events, here is one that I can find and it is more recent.
And when you must go back and repair, it always costs more than building the original.
07-29-2021, 03:23 AM - 2 Likes   #2111
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's the lower part of Svandalsfossen, a waterfall consisting of several steps which combined make a 180m drop. Impressive to visit but hard to get good images of

07-29-2021, 01:00 PM - 2 Likes   #2112
Veteran Member

Dukes Creek Falls, GA. K-1, DFA 15-30, Nisi S5

07-29-2021, 06:04 PM   #2113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not a good photo technically, but it was a memorable moment when both dogs were with us:
07-29-2021, 10:56 PM - 2 Likes   #2114
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's a lost-in-the-fog shot of the 145m main drop of Vøringsfossen, Norway

07-30-2021, 06:27 AM   #2115
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Not a good photo technically, but it was a memorable moment when both dogs were with us:
Memorable for them, too..."mud! mud! the joy of mud!"