Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2512 Likes Search this Thread
08-02-2017, 12:59 PM - 5 Likes   #1021
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
That looks a lot like the Upper Falls in Hocking Hills State Park, Ohio.

Tim
Certainly does. There is another one only a few minutes away from Foster Falls that looks like its cousin. Unfortunately, there was a drought when I visited with my wide angle lens.

The second time I went, I didn't think to take wide angles but you can see the difference in the strength of the falls.

08-02-2017, 03:50 PM - 5 Likes   #1022
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
From my most recent trip

Penn Lake, Algonquin Park, Ontario, Canada

08-04-2017, 09:41 PM - 2 Likes   #1023
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

08-08-2017, 07:08 PM   #1024
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Potomac River below the mouth of the Shenandoah at Harper's Ferry

08-13-2017, 08:28 AM - 4 Likes   #1025

K-30, 18-55 kit lens @18mm

08-13-2017, 12:52 PM - 5 Likes   #1026
Pentaxian

A couple more from Hocking Hills State Park

Tim
08-18-2017, 05:51 AM - 5 Likes   #1027
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Wolf Lake and Paradise Lagoon

08-18-2017, 05:17 PM   #1028
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great series Norm.
You seem to not subscribe to the really smooth silky milky effect of waterfalls.
I like the variation that you show in these last two series
08-18-2017, 06:46 PM - 1 Like   #1029
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Great series Norm.
You seem to not subscribe to the really smooth silky milky effect of waterfalls.
I like the variation that you show in these last two series
There are times when I want that silky smooth effect, and there are times when I don't. I tend to shoot at different shutter speeds and choose the one I like best.

My favourites tend to be like the last one, ƒ22 and 1/10s, at 100 ISO. Fast enough to maintain some level of clarity buy not necessarily silky. There's still some splash and bubble detail.

On this one I liked the crisp detail at the bottom of the frame on the foam under the falls, but you just never know.

Last edited by normhead; 09-04-2017 at 03:05 PM.
08-18-2017, 07:56 PM   #1030
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Norm.
I think our philosophies on running/falling water are similar.
Splash and bubble is good, so is smooth and silky.
08-19-2017, 04:06 AM   #1031
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Thanks Norm.
I think our philosophies on running/falling water are similar.
Splash and bubble is good, so is smooth and silky.
I am like you guys,

variation is nice

action is nice at times

too often, many of us " comment " about how we like and what we think we see in a photo or work of art

without considering that what our own observations has our own likes/dislikes built in

in other words

what we might see as an error or lack of technique might be our error in " reviewing " the finished "product

- there is a tree growing out of his head, the "rule of threes" clearly wasn't followed, too "busy", over exposed, under exposed, why did s/he use that combination of lens and camera - - - -

when the creator of the item got exactly what s/he was attempting to capture or record, as s/he intended to capture or record it.

consider how the world of art first received cubism or impressionism art styles and how such art may be worth millions of $ now

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-19-2017 at 04:11 AM.
08-19-2017, 05:45 AM - 2 Likes   #1032
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Norm
Nice series of shots. I too use F22 & ISO 100 while allowing the camera to set the optimal shutter speed and depending on the amount of available daylight (Bright sunlight or Shade). I usually end up with a wide variety of smoothing effect on the moving water combined with a wide DOF on the surrounding area without using a ND Filter. In one of my more favorite places to shoot I often place the camera on a flat rock close to the edge of the stream getting a real low level perspective and either use a remote or 2 sec. time delay on the shutter to control the shutter. I've even used the same process to bracket shot and PP in HDR to get a better lighting balance as I did with this pic.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 

Last edited by NS_Sailor; 08-19-2017 at 05:52 AM.
08-19-2017, 06:25 AM   #1033
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NS_Sailor Quote
Norm
Nice series of shots. I too use F22 & ISO 100 while allowing the camera to set the optimal shutter speed and depending on the amount of available daylight (Bright sunlight or Shade). I usually end up with a wide variety of smoothing effect on the moving water combined with a wide DOF on the surrounding area without using a ND Filter. In one of my more favorite places to shoot I often place the camera on a flat rock close to the edge of the stream getting a real low level perspective and either use a remote or 2 sec. time delay on the shutter to control the shutter. I've even used the same process to bracket shot and PP in HDR to get a better lighting balance as I did with this pic.
Most of my images above depended on shake reduction for stability, and it seems to have done very well. F22 is definitely your friend on a K-1, though I find it a little soft sometimes on APS-c.
08-19-2017, 08:37 AM   #1034
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Most of my images above depended on shake reduction for stability, and it seems to have done very well. F22 is definitely your friend on a K-1, though I find it a little soft sometimes on APS-c.
I agree I can see where shake reduction would be a valuable tool especially in an area where places to set a tripod or flat and level enough to set the camera for longer exposures may be non existent.
I'm looking at sometime in the future trying Pixel shift with the K70 to see what kind of effect I get, in comparison to HDR, with the moving water. A tripod or the rock will definitely be needed though.
08-19-2017, 08:58 AM   #1035
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NS_Sailor Quote
I agree I can see where shake reduction would be a valuable tool especially in an area where places to set a tripod or flat and level enough to set the camera for longer exposures may be non existent.
I'm looking at sometime in the future trying Pixel shift with the K70 to see what kind of effect I get, in comparison to HDR, with the moving water. A tripod or the rock will definitely be needed though.
I have a small light weight plastic tripod I can set on a rock or log, or use for low level macro. It fits easily in my pack and can be very useful. Carrying a full size tripod is not always the best option.