Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2018, 04:51 AM - 7 Likes   #1291
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Iceland waterfalls

Just got back from a trip to Iceland, which has to be among the all time great waterfall destinations in the world. I think you could throw a dart at a map of Iceland and there's about a 95% chance there'd be a waterfall within sight of wherever it hit.

The four here are:
1) Seljalandsfoss, the famous waterfall you can walk behind
2) An unnamed waterfall by our Airbnb house, Litla-Þúfa
3) The iconic Búðakirkja black church, and even there in the distance you can see a waterfall
4) The Hraunfosser waterfall that looks like it appears out of the lava field as if by magic

All taken with the K-3ii. The first with a LensRentals 16-85WR and a polarizer to cut a bit of light to make it dreamier, the second and 4th with the 15mm limited and a B+W 10-stop ND filter, and the black church with the 40mm limited pancake and a circular polarizer. It's always windy in Iceland so long exposures were a challenge, but I really liked my very small/light Sirui travel tripod.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Last edited by ThorSanchez; 07-02-2018 at 05:28 AM.
07-02-2018, 04:57 AM   #1292
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Just got back from a trip to Iceland, which has to be among the all time great waterfall destinations in the world. I think you could throw a dart at a map of Iceland and there's about a 95% chance there'd be a waterfall within sight of wherever it hit.

The four here are:
1) Seljelandfoss, the famous waterfall you can walk behind
3) The iconic Búðakirkja black church, and even there in the distance you can see a waterfall
4) The Hraunfosser waterfall that looks like it appears out of the lava field as if by magic

All taken with the K-3ii. The first with a LensRentals 16-85WR and a polarizer to cut a bit of light to make it dreamier, the second and 4th with the 15mm limited and a B+W 10-stop ND filter, and the black church with the 40mm limited pancake and a circular polarizer. It's always windy in Iceland so long exposures were a challenge, but I really liked my very small/light Sirui travel tripod.
We had a really wonderful visit to Iceland. Waterfalls everywhere, and all those little tiny churches, farmsteads in the middle of nowhere except for the spectacular settings. But I remember the really nice accommodations and to-a-man friendly people.
07-02-2018, 06:06 AM   #1293
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

The four here are:

We have been talking about going to Iceland for quite some time now and I think those pictures have really nailed it for me. Fantastic photos.
07-02-2018, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #1294
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
We have been talking about going to Iceland for quite some time now and I think those pictures have really nailed it for me. Fantastic photos.
Thank you. And those weren't even my best of the trip, those were just the best that included waterfalls. Iceland is one of those places like Yosemite or the Canadian Rockies or Alaska where you find brilliant photographic opportunities at every turn. You can't help but produce interesting shots even with moderate talent. It was nice to have Pentax gear for the build quality and especially weather sealing. It will rain.

07-02-2018, 07:04 AM - 5 Likes   #1295
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just realized that I forgot to include one of my favorite waterfall photos from the trip, this one of Gullfoss. Usually I'm trying to frame a landscape picture to avoid the tourist hoardes, but I think this adds perspectve and scale.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
07-02-2018, 07:58 AM - 2 Likes   #1296
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had several thoughts when we were at Gullfoss:
1) it would be dramatic to get a view looking down over the edge;
2) the wind was annoying as it kept shift back into my face;
3) other tourists didn't really take up very much image space.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
07-02-2018, 08:41 PM - 1 Like   #1297
Veteran Member

The four here are:

These are great! Thanks for sharing!

Nothing as impressive as Iceland from me... I hope it even qualifies for a shot of moving water Picture was taken above the waterfalls I posted a couple of days ago. You can see them under the tree...

Attached Images

07-03-2018, 02:40 AM   #1298
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Amethyst Brook, one of our dog-walk locations, shared with many other dog-owners.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-LF1  Photo 
07-03-2018, 05:43 AM - 2 Likes   #1299
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Such beautiful photographs here. This is not one of them but it was a fun post-processing exercise:

Entrapment

07-03-2018, 05:48 AM   #1300
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
Such beautiful photographs here. This is not one of them but it was a fun post-processing exercise:Entrapment
HA! That's a riot. Very clever idea. Wish I had taken that image, except I don't have a "smart phone" so I could not have executed the image even if I were creative enough to think of it.
07-03-2018, 05:50 AM   #1301
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A small stream with a little surface excitement.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-LF1  Photo 
07-03-2018, 05:51 AM   #1302
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
HA! That's a riot. Very clever idea. Wish I had taken that image, except I don't have a "smart phone" so I could not have executed the image even if I were creative enough to think of it.
Thanks! I don't have a smart phone either and never will. Pulled the hand-phone image from a copyright free gallery somewhere.
07-03-2018, 06:12 AM   #1303
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Not exactly a raging torrent - just a peaceful spot by a beaver dam.

07-03-2018, 10:09 AM   #1304
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Several little drops here, all Disney-made, but attractive despite their artificiality.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-M10MarkII  Photo 
07-03-2018, 11:18 AM - 3 Likes   #1305
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Blue Hole TN K3 II, 16-85
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo