Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2018, 01:39 PM   #1486
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Mississippi River, at Oquaka, Illinois.
The river's quite narrow here compared to stretches not far to the north or south of this point.

Looking northward/upstream

Looking southward/downstream

Sun Wide Zoom Macro f3.5 24-40mm Multi-coated
Honeywell Pentax ES
Ilford FP4 Plus

10-06-2018, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #1487
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Lucky you didn't lose your bridge!
No kidding. All the debris has been cleared, but I'm still a bit wary when crossing it now.
10-08-2018, 06:53 PM - 6 Likes   #1488
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

(graduated square nd filter and polarizer, possibly also another square nd filter)
10-09-2018, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #1489
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
The river's quite narrow here compared to stretches not far to the north or south of this point.
Interesting. On my visit to the confluence with the Missouri this summer I was surprised not to be impressed by the width of the river. In part, I guess that's due to my familiarity with the "rivers" of the Chesapeake region (which are really estuaries.) But even the upstream Potomac (say, at Harpers Ferry) is almost as wide (but, then, you can walk across the Potomac there--as I have done many times in pursuit of smallmouth bass. Still, it was a time to reflect on the geographical, historical and cultural significance of the Mississippi.

10-09-2018, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #1490
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Interesting. On my visit to the confluence with the Missouri this summer I was surprised not to be impressed by the width of the river. In part, I guess that's due to my familiarity with the "rivers" of the Chesapeake region (which are really estuaries.) But even the upstream Potomac (say, at Harpers Ferry) is almost as wide (but, then, you can walk across the Potomac there--as I have done many times in pursuit of smallmouth bass. Still, it was a time to reflect on the geographical, historical and cultural significance of the Mississippi.
Of course the Mississippi we see today is not the historical Mississippi we read about in Mark Twain's "Life on the Mississippi" which describes the original wild river. The Mississippi has several dams, the parts immediately above which are called pools. Necessarily the pools are wider, not necessarily wider than the historical river was in high water times, but wider year-around than the wild river would have been. It looks like on my state map, Oquaka is just above the widening immediately above Lock and Dam No. 18. Considering that the amount of water flowing by Oquaka and that flowing by wider stretches just above or below it would be the same, the river would be deeper in that narrower part to accommodate the same flow. Not many miles north of Oquaka, at Delabar State Park, the river looks very narrow, but one isn't looking across to Iowa there, but only at a long Island in midstream. Not far above there is a spot with two large islands creating 3 channels in all. I believe the one used by barges is the larger middle channel.
10-09-2018, 10:19 PM - 1 Like   #1491
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
(graduated square nd filter and polarizer, possibly also another square nd filter)
Very nice!
10-11-2018, 07:38 PM - 3 Likes   #1492
Pentaxian

Another waterfall from the same hike as the one above.

10-12-2018, 03:50 PM - 2 Likes   #1493
Pentaxian

10-12-2018, 07:11 PM - 4 Likes   #1494
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Birch Creek Cascades in Yellow Springs, Ohio, taken just this morning. Used an ND8 and possibly a CP on this one.

10-13-2018, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #1495
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These were taken a couple weeks ago after record rainfall in the area. We are currently on pace for a repeat, with torrential rains this weekend

10-13-2018, 07:47 PM - 3 Likes   #1496
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
These were taken a couple weeks ago after record rainfall in the area. We are currently on pace for a repeat, with torrential rains this weekend

I hope you're high and dry and weather the storm well, Paul.

This is called Cedarcliff Falls, and is actually a dam that was built for a mill that is no longer in existence:
10-21-2018, 04:08 AM - 6 Likes   #1497
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Victoria Falls is one of the world's great waterfalls. When we visited late last month at the end of the dry season, the discharge was minimal, but even so, the amount of spray & mist made it very difficult to photograph, in fact. sometimes it was impossible to see the water when a gust a wind blew the mist a certain way. It's also impossible to see or photograph the entire falls from ground level because there are multiple cascades that drop from the side of a long, narrow gorge. The falls are really best seen from the air, which is why we we squandered a little $ to take a brief helicopter fly-over.

The last image is a multiply-manipulated file using, among other things, a one-image HDR application.
And I will post more pictures of this place, perhaps on other threads. In the film era I might have settled for five images, but with digital there's no reason not to take 60 or 70.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 

Last edited by WPRESTO; 10-21-2018 at 07:30 AM.
11-06-2018, 09:52 AM   #1498
Veteran Member

Looks like you can spend a lot of time there... Thanks for sharing
11-08-2018, 10:54 AM - 5 Likes   #1499
Pentaxian

Bali, Indonesia

11-10-2018, 09:29 PM - 5 Likes   #1500
Site Supporter
Site Supporter