Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2019, 04:38 PM   #1561
Unregistered User

Nice little creek, mountain run-off; looks good, but I'll bet there's not a single craw-dad, mudpuppy, frog, or hellgrammite in there anywhere.

02-18-2019, 05:29 PM - 5 Likes   #1562

Bracebridge, ON
02-19-2019, 08:53 AM   #1563
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
Nice little creek, mountain run-off; looks good, but I'll bet there's not a single craw-dad, mudpuppy, frog, or hellgrammite in there anywhere.
Do you suspect that it's too acidic or polluted?
02-19-2019, 09:49 AM   #1564
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
Do you suspect that it's too acidic or polluted?
Definitely. Probably not too much agricultural runoff as it's all forest uphill from there. But there was a road behind where I was standing when I took that picture, and on the other side of the road are farms along the flood plain. So I guess the simple answer is, "either or both". I was a kid when they started using DDT in a big way, and during that period, I could go to local creeks with friends and we'd spend a lot of time catching li'l critters. The Shenandoah River that creek feeds into was a horrible unnatural color; it looked dead to me. People born more recently have no idea how wonderful the Earth was before we indulging in "better living through chemistry" (a trademark of DuPont, I think). And I think of my own grandparents, for example, the world they lived in was taking care of itself beautifully - it was a struggle for them to keep up with it. We're doing a great job of "exercising dominion", I reckon - when we get to the point where we've got total control, we'll know we succeeded (in killing ourselves as a species).

02-19-2019, 10:56 AM - 2 Likes   #1565
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Morning at the creek in late January. Many trees were knocked down due to flooding last Fall:
02-19-2019, 11:41 AM   #1566
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
Definitely. Probably not too much agricultural runoff as it's all forest uphill from there. But there was a road behind where I was standing when I took that picture, and on the other side of the road are farms along the flood plain. So I guess the simple answer is, "either or both". I was a kid when they started using DDT in a big way, and during that period, I could go to local creeks with friends and we'd spend a lot of time catching li'l critters. The Shenandoah River that creek feeds into was a horrible unnatural color; it looked dead to me. People born more recently have no idea how wonderful the Earth was before we indulging in "better living through chemistry" (a trademark of DuPont, I think). And I think of my own grandparents, for example, the world they lived in was taking care of itself beautifully - it was a struggle for them to keep up with it. We're doing a great job of "exercising dominion", I reckon - when we get to the point where we've got total control, we'll know we succeeded (in killing ourselves as a species).
I'd guess that some of the more pollution-tolerant invertebrates are in the stream. Surely things killed by the DDT would have had a chance to repopulate by now, if other things in the water aren't keeping them out.
02-19-2019, 02:14 PM - 3 Likes   #1567
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Surf splashing every which way

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
02-19-2019, 11:46 PM   #1568
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Surf splashing every which way
Friend, that is some awesome photography. Well done sir. Thank you for sharing.

TT
02-20-2019, 05:48 AM   #1569
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Friend, that is some awesome photography. Well done sir. Thank you for sharing.

TT
Thanks Tonytee. Surf is pretty easy IF there is some decent wave activity. You just point the camera & wait until a bigger one rolls in. As your are probably aware, every fifth or sixth wave, or thereabouts, tends to be larger, so you wait for one.
02-20-2019, 10:04 AM   #1570
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another creek view, about a mile upstream of my previous photo. Taken late January:
02-28-2019, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #1571
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Partly frozen, partly open slough connected to the Spoon River, near its mouth on the Illinois River. At the moment pictured, this very, very slowly moving water might be going up (or down) faster than it is moving one direction or the other, due to rising or receding flooding from recent rain and melting.

Russian Lubitel 2 TLR + amber warming filter
+ expired Tri-X exposed at iso 300, normal devl & scans by Old School Photo
+ some despotting & digital tweaking by me
02-28-2019, 09:49 PM - 3 Likes   #1572
Veteran Member

A lock on the Rideau canal not far from Ottawa
Hmm. It doesn't look quite like that on my monitor...
Attached Images

02-28-2019, 11:14 PM   #1573
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Tarwin River fall. KP + DA 55-300 PLM using Pixel Shift

(Seems to have lost a lot of resolution in the size reduction for upload.)
03-01-2019, 12:23 PM   #1574
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Annabelle sleeping the way cats do - curled up in a ball. Except for cats, how many mammals can sleep comfortably with their chin atop their hind foot?
Curled up cat as an example of a moving water image? Okay--I'll go with it! The cat might be dreaming of stalking fish along the shallows or sailing a tuna fishing boat!
03-01-2019, 12:29 PM - 2 Likes   #1575
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
Curled up cat as an example of a moving water image? Okay--I'll go with it! The cat might be dreaming of stalking fish along the shallows or sailing a tuna fishing boat!
Was there a dripping faucet nearby??

Turner Falls in South Central Oklahoma, taken in 2007: