Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2012, 09:46 AM   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have not noticed much of a correlation between odd or even aperture blades or the number of blades for starbursts. Some lenses produce sharp tines while others produce a mess.

04-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #152
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
I've learned a few things in GIMP but I keep reading about all of the cool Lightroom stuff that you can do and I've never figured this stuff out in GIMP.
I ran the trial of LR4 and I am getting extensively more useful at GIMP. I use Picasa for file management. I question the $150 considering I can achieve essentially everything it does between GIMP and Picasa. The main deterant for me is how poorly LR4 runs on my old comp with Win7 250GB Hard drive and 3 GB of RAM. I'm up for a new comp before I go for new photo editing I think.

Good tips about the starbursts.
04-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #153
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
I can understand taking the laptop away for business Tim/wolfiegirl but I make a point of not taking it away on travel trips any more. I've done it once and no more. It's an extra kilo or so of souvenirs you can't bring home in the luggage allowance and more importantly, if you're travelling somewhere nice, why lose time in new territory while using the lap top. We spent almost 2 months late last year on our grand Eurasian Adventure taking 5000 pictures, but there are still 6 SD cards of images to edit, let alone process. So much to do, so little time
i think a netbook would be a nice compromise but honestly i don't have much use for more gadgets (15.6" laptop, smartphone, kindle, mp3 player <-- although that one doesn't get much outing anymore) and i don't go away often enough where it's a major issue.

sure it would've been good to process a few photos while overseas and gauge how the lens and my skills were going, post a few up on the trip itself and do some proper emails and forum surfing/ebay buying, but at the end of the day it worked out fine and i spent most of my evenings after dinner and sightseeing reading my kindle until late....there really isn't enough time to do everything i want to do *sigh*

i've got wireless internet so if i'm travelling around australia for a night or three i'm happy to take my lappie. but going overseas - i'm glad i didn't take the lappie in terms of weight. you are right, it's space that replaces potential souvenirs (am still regretting not buying more perguian dark chocolate and jars of truffle salsa).

i'll get through all the pics eventually. was sposed to do some more today (it's a public holiday) but i decided to dig into my lens/camera collection and do a proper catalogue/cull. i need to decide what lens to use next month and i really could do with some more cashies up my sleeve before i buy any more lenses () umm.. i didn't just say that.... let's just leave it at cull and find what may lens to use, shall we?
04-25-2012, 05:58 PM   #154
Veteran Member

Strange thing today. When I went to review the April 25 images, I was surprised to see the first 5 images with a theme of ANZAC Day. Then it dawned on me, from what was posted in last year's SiA, that a year had passed. The strange thing was that we had just watched last night the movie Breaker Morant and did not have this special day in mind.
Well anyways, best wishes to all who celebrate this day of remembrance far and wide.
It is important not to forget.

04-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #155
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hey Jools, I'm a big fan of "Rule 303" too!
04-26-2012, 01:01 AM   #156
Veteran Member

Hey John, I imagine episodes like Breaker Morant are significantly painful for a country and a region that has given so much and stands proud.
I first saw the movie back in '82 in Venezuela and was so moved and interested that I read George Witton's book "Scapegoats of the Empire" it became a theme of mine while writing papers to earn my Political Science degree.
In any event, the 303 rule has its place. Right or wrong, the rules of combat, and orders give way to circumstances that ultimately dictate what is to be done. And I think I would have done the same.
I fault no one but the British Empire's zest for a quick closure. The story of colonialism.

BTW, I love the .303 British. I have such a rifle, a gift from my father, which I frequently use for deer hunting. A powerful and noble weapon.
04-26-2012, 02:43 AM   #157

*sigh* sorry guys but I have dropped out of the singles for the passed few days since I have been busy with work and all... plus I have an exam next week too
Will try to catch up again before end of the month...

04-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #158
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by okitoki Quote
*sigh* sorry guys but I have dropped out of the singles for the passed few days since I have been busy with work and all... plus I have an exam next week too
Will try to catch up again before end of the month...
Things happen through no fault of our own. Other issues take over. Don't feel bad. Good luck and hope to see in the end.
04-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #159
Veteran Member

I'm a bit over the 28mm and my days are so busy and the light is so short that I'm struggling to get my photos in. The last few days I've been scouring the landscape for telephoto shots - all of which turn out crap on my 28mm (esp when cropped tight). gah.

i realised with disgust this morning that May is still 3 days away. *pouts*

hrmm.. not really sure abt these new emoticons..
04-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #160
Veteran Member

Day 26 into the Single in April challenge and some strong images this day.
Nobody seems to be waning as we reach the final days. Kudos to all.
04-26-2012, 06:24 PM - 1 Like   #161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm disappointed, I thought we might have some Baseball shots by now? Cmon Jools....
04-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #162
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote
I'm disappointed, I thought we might have some Baseball shots by now? Cmon Jools....
Ha ha, thanks for reminding me. No chance this month for pro baseball just through TV.
Our softball league starts in early May. Maybe then. Looking forward to June when we got tix to a Milwaukee home game and then going to down to Chicago for a weekend where I plan to catch a game between Milwaukee and the Chicago White Sox . May try to catch a Single A (minor leagues) baseball game nearer to home in the interim.
It is still early but yeah, hopefully will have some baseball/softball images.
04-29-2012, 03:59 PM   #163
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With April almost at a close, I wanted to offer a wrap up post. First of all, thanks for all of the positive support and encouragement. This was an extremely difficult month for me on a personal level but the fish-eye was a wonderful creative release and I am very proud of some of the shots I managed. I am so glad I bought this lens and I have recently completed a review on the forum. Although I am a little ultra-wide angled out, so to speak, and looking forward to exploring the opposite end of the focal range with a lens that I simply do not use enough, the DA 55-300, I expect that the fish-eye will be a regular player in my line-up, especially whenever I feel that I am in a rut.

I think there have been a wealth of stunning contributions from all of the April participants. This is such a supportive environment and such a fantastic forum to learn, challenge oneself and try out some new PP techniques along the way! May awaits and better late than never, repaap and I should finally have a chance to bore the rest of you with budding leaves and blooming flowers!
04-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #164
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good idea. I would summarize by saying, that although I bought the 100mm macro to shoot flowers and bugs and what not, and that this month was full of wonderful blossoms - from participants, and in my neighbor hood. I really found the short tele properties of this lens what I worked with. I found that this month was much easier to get out and get some shots, and I had few days where I struggled. Creatively, the 100mm focal doesnt wow me, but I think that my eye is getting better... 7 or 8 months of hanging out with this talented crowd here has some benefit. Thanks for the comments, and thanks for participating. The challenge would be less fun if I didn't get to enjoy the product of your efforts. See you in May.
04-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #165
Veteran Member

The 28mm has been interesting for me. I never thought I was a wide angle gal, but the close focus ability has made this a much more versatile lens than I originally thought. Am still behind with April shots - still have about 15 days to fill in from the Trip.

Coming back time has been an issue and I found myself struggling to keep up shooting and posting daily - something I hadn't experienced in the past. I have certainly done a lot more safety shots this month than I did in the last two prior. The cold weather and dark nights certainly haven't helped either.

All your encouraging comments and critiques have helped immensely and looking at everyone else's amazing shots have helped push me to go out and shoot more.

The 28mm continues to surprise me and perhaps I won't be as ready to get rid of it as I initially thought. I certainly haven't mastered it that's for sure. Either way I look forward to something with a bit more tele range next month. May can't come fast enough!