Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2012, 06:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Challenge #69

Thanks to Tim for hosting challenge #68! I had fun working on that image and chuckled the whole time.

This is my first time really participating in (and now hosting) a challenge like this so be sure to let me know if I mess something up. I've only had a DSLR for about a year now and I tend to have a lot of images that are "hopelessly beyond salvage". However, I'm optimistic about the one I'm offering up for the challenge. I'm pretty sure the accepted rules are to only post ONE image and I'm posting two because they were originally shot with the intention of blending them into a panorama. Feel free to choose either the left or the right or some combination of the two, but only post ONE final image. The photos were taken partway up Mt. Haleakala, a volcano on Mauii, during a vacation last year. Unfortunately, I'm not in the habit of shooting RAW regularly yet and back then, hadn't used it at all. It was actually drizzling rain where we were on the volcano but some of the island in the foreground was sunny. The haze really obscured that. Anyway, here goes...

Here are links to the full-sized Right-Side Image and the Left-Side Image. The challenge will end Sunday, April 8th at 10:00pm EDT (-4 GMT)

For those hosting new challenges, here's the Mediafire Hosting login info:
Login - pentaxchallenge@yahoo.com
Password - postprocessing

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
04-02-2012, 07:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
great image! is it possible to get a RAW file? I don't work in photoshop or the like, so the more information in the file I can have the more I can do... thanks!
04-02-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry Tess... Unfortunately, I hadn't even experimented with RAW back when I shot these. Even now, I try to remember to shoot RAW or RAW+ when I'm shooting things that aren't hockey but since hockey is so fast, I use all the framerate I can get and my default is to leave it in jpg.
04-02-2012, 07:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

no problem...I will still have a great time working on it... thanks!

04-02-2012, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

here is my attempt. Thanks! It was interesting and fun!! (if we are suppose to do both I will get back the other image later this week)

04-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #6

just had a quick play with this, well done with your image last week btw...

04-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More fun than I expected it to be - but there is a lot of hidden colour in these images.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
04-03-2012, 08:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some very cool entries so far... keep 'em coming!
04-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey everyone, it has been a couple of days without any new entries. I know the images seem run of the mill at first but there's all kinds of stuff to play with, from stitching them together to fixing spots from goop on the lens and dealing with the bland colors...
04-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Hi hockeydad... your images are great for this challenge, so don't worry about that. Lately the PP challenges have been very slow. I plan to work on the second image and maybe figure out how to stitch them together, but if I can't find a way will just post it below the first one. We have till Sunday
04-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I just got back from out of town yesterday and started playing with them. Still trying to figure out how I want to attack the processing.

Tim
04-07-2012, 07:34 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ok, here is my feeble attempt at stitching. It didn't make it any easier when the two images to be stiched are shot in aperture priority and the shutter speed changes between shots. But then, it is supposed to be a challenge. Truth be told, it took me more than once to learn to shoot in manual when shooting my composite shots. Makes blending a lot easier.

Tim

Last edited by atupdate; 04-07-2012 at 08:36 AM.
04-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, the challenge is officially over. I'll be back in a bit to post comments and name the winner. Thanks everyone for participating!