Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 237 Likes Search this Thread
05-31-2012, 10:10 AM   #181
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dave those are nice but I'm seeing some graying in both shots and the first one shows haloing along the sky / mountain edge. I assume you are using Photomatix. I suggest that you try a number of the presets to see what looks good. You can also try the selective fusion process which combines 2 images that you choose. while I occasionally grunge out on HDR, I prefer HDR images that don't look over processed and don't look like HDR. See my Hawaiian shots above. I typically use either 3 or 5 images bracketed +/- 1ev but I vary that too. If the light is strong I'll to 3 images +/1ev hand held, if I want the widest range possible I'll go with 5 images +/-2ev on a tripod. I shoot a number of shots to be sure to get the right one. Regardless the number and amount bracketed are starting places. Your shots look like they need some further work, I'd try to get that grayness out of them and try different alignment options. $0.02USD.

05-31-2012, 10:15 AM   #182
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Dave those are nice but I'm seeing some graying in both shots and the first one shows haloing along the sky / mountain edge. I assume you are using Photomatix. I suggest that you try a number of the presets to see what looks good. You can also try the selective fusion process which combines 2 images that you choose. while I occasionally grunge out on HDR, I prefer HDR images that don't look over processed and don't look like HDR. See my Hawaiian shots above. I typically use either 3 or 5 images bracketed +/- 1ev but I vary that too. If the light is strong I'll to 3 images +/1ev hand held, if I want the widest range possible I'll go with 5 images +/-2ev on a tripod. I shoot a number of shots to be sure to get the right one. Regardless the number and amount bracketed are starting places. Your shots look like they need some further work, I'd try to get that grayness out of them and try different alignment options. $0.02USD.
Thanks I will play with them
05-31-2012, 10:26 AM   #183
Veteran Member

one from this past weekend

05-31-2012, 10:29 AM - 3 Likes   #184

A few more for the thread:

05-31-2012, 10:37 AM   #185
Veteran Member

Dave, not that I claim to be an expert (only been at it since January), but I have been using three exposures at -2, 0, +2 EV for just about all my HDR's. This does seem to work better in the few tests I ran, but mainly I use these exposures because it was recommended by both Photomatix in their FAQ and by Trey Ratcliff, a well known HDR guru (stuckincustoms.com) who both know a lot more than I do about the subject. I think for example if you had used a -2 EV input in the first picture you might have eliminated some of the blown out white bits in the clouds and mountain peaks (really like this picture btw!). I only use 5 inputs in extreme contrast situations, and in those cases I might use -3, -1.5, 0, +1.5, +3. I've programmed my "User" setting on the exposure mode dial for exposure bracketing at -2, 0, +2, so that when I see a subject I think might make a good HDR, I just select the "User" setting, otherwise I mostly keep it on P. Hope that helps.
05-31-2012, 11:10 AM   #186
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
I have observed that there is a need for some minimum level of dynamic range to produce a pleasing HDR/tonemapped image. Based on both images I have done and images in this thread I believe the K5 can contain enough DR in a single RAW to produce exceptionally fine HDR images. I don't recall anyone ever indicating an image must contain x stops of DR to be HDR, though this may be true. Anyway I'm not so interested in the terminology as the results and these images are welcome and appreciated.
Are we talking about true HDR images or images that look like or are compressed HDR (those we see here).

I can tell you that non of the images here look like the real HDRs i've at home simply because JPEG can't handle the range and neither can the monitor and that's the problem we are facing.
05-31-2012, 11:10 AM   #187
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Dave, not that I claim to be an expert (only been at it since January), but I have been using three exposures at -2, 0, +2 EV for just about all my HDR's. This does seem to work better in the few tests I ran, but mainly I use these exposures because it was recommended by both Photomatix in their FAQ and by Trey Ratcliff, a well known HDR guru (stuckincustoms.com) who both know a lot more than I do about the subject. I think for example if you had used a -2 EV input in the first picture you might have eliminated some of the blown out white bits in the clouds and mountain peaks (really like this picture btw!). I only use 5 inputs in extreme contrast situations, and in those cases I might use -3, -1.5, 0, +1.5, +3. I've programmed my "User" setting on the exposure mode dial for exposure bracketing at -2, 0, +2, so that when I see a subject I think might make a good HDR, I just select the "User" setting, otherwise I mostly keep it on P. Hope that helps.
THanks Yeah I need all the advice I can get maybe get out tonight and try a few.

06-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #188
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
one from this past weekend
Masted confusion, lovely shot

QuoteOriginally posted by Trig Quote
A few more for the thread:
Excellent, Al Capone's Cell is my favorite from this group followed by Quincy Market Audience.
06-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #189
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Are we talking about true HDR images or images that look like or are compressed HDR (those we see here).
I can tell you that non of the images here look like the real HDRs i've at home simply because JPEG can't handle the range and neither can the monitor and that's the problem we are facing.
elifino (just like it sounds) what 'we' are talking about
No JPG, no monitor or printer I am aware of can display a true HDR image so we look at tonemapped or exposure fusion or layers and masks or...
06-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #190
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
THanks Yeah I need all the advice I can get maybe get out tonight and try a few.
The excellent FAQ at FAQ about HDR photography software Photomatix - Tone Mapping, HDR images creation and Exposure Fusion goes into a fair bit about how many exposures and intervals. Additionally the gallery contains images made with very high frame numbers as well as from single raws. Overall +-2 seems a good place to be as GeoGerry said.

Last edited by riff; 06-01-2012 at 09:01 PM.
06-01-2012, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #191
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One from last summer, we had wild weather and exceptionally skies. A deserted beach after a hard rain, someone had made male and female effigies in the sand. A single set of tracks walk toward the light, I should have shot more images. This is from -2 -1 0 +1 +2.
Attached Images

06-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #192
Veteran Member

Excellent, Al Capone's Cell is my favorite from this group followed by Quincy Market Audience.
Exactly my preferences. Great stuff, Trig! Can you comment on your technique/equipment?

Last edited by GeoJerry; 06-01-2012 at 04:45 PM.
06-01-2012, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #193
Veteran Member

One from last summer, we had wild weather and exceptionally skies. A deserted beach after a hard rain, someone had made male and female effigies in the sand. A single set of tracks walk toward the light, I should have shot more images. This is from -2 -1 0 +1 +2.
Very sinister and moody, I like it. Where is it? I like the very subtle glow on the horizon, which adds a bit of cheer to an otherwise foreboding environment.

And now for something completely different:

06-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #194
Veteran Member

some of the presets with minor tweaking .....single shot saved 5 times +-1EV

BW HDR Treatment

Color HDR Treatment

06-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #195
Veteran Member

Don't think I have ever seen such a straight shoreline Great shot.