Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 237 Likes Search this Thread
05-22-2012, 01:49 PM   #91
Veteran Member

How about Extreme HDR? Or should it have its own thread?

I was in correspondence with a a photographer that inspired me from when I first started photography in the 1970's....Les Krims.

He had sent me these 2 photos in an email. Said he uses a 40mp camera and uses HDR / PP for 'the' effect. I'm just barely getting into HDR myself. From what I had gathered on the forums, HDR devotees try to make their photos realistic and not showcase the HDR effect. Well, Les was always different and his current 'exagerated' HDR work really stunned me.

In the 1970's Les was way ahead of his time, a genius. Now, 40 years later...still a genius.

Photos are not mine, they are by Les Krims

Last edited by slackercruster; 05-22-2012 at 06:15 PM.
05-22-2012, 01:56 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Here is my first one with software. Don't know what I'm doing. Got Photomatrix and just started to feed it images.

I tried 'in camera' HDR a few times and it did OK. Some test shots taken with Pentax K-x

Last edited by slackercruster; 05-22-2012 at 02:02 PM.
05-22-2012, 01:57 PM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
@GeoJerry - really really nice! That is worthy for a framed piece of wall art...
Thanks for the glowing review! (You're referring to the Yosemite shot?)
05-22-2012, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #94
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
How about Extreme HDR? Or should it have its own thread?
No this is very welcome here! Like it or not (I like it) it is excellent processing. Forum member @Trig has posted many fine examples of extreme HDR mostly in the SIgma 10-20 and 8-16 threads in case anyone missed them. Hopefully he will stop by sometime.

I hope that this thread has some discussion and explanation of HDR techniques as well. Thanks for posting.

Last edited by riff; 05-22-2012 at 02:27 PM.
05-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #95
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here is my first one with software. Don't know what I'm doing. Got Photomatrix and just started to feed it images
That's the spirit/ Great first effort, the ghosting on the edge of the petals need to go away though.

I hope to see many more of your HDR images.
05-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
That's the spirit/ Great first effort, the ghosting on the edge of the petals need to go away though.

I hope to see many more of your HDR images.

Oh yea, I see it.

How do you get rid of it?

They were taken from the same angle, but I moved between each exposure to see the image exposure on the screen. Guess the software did the best it could do with 3 very different images.
05-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
No this is very welcome here! Like it or not (I like it) it is excellent processing. Forum member @Trig has posted many fine examples or extreme HDR mostly in the SIgma 10-20 and 8-16 threads in case anyone missed them. Hopefully he will stop by sometime.

I hope that this thread has some discussion and explanation of HDR techniques as well. Thanks for posting.
Hope he posts em here. Would luv to see them.

05-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #98
Veteran Member

Oh yea, I see it.

They were taken from the same angle, but I moved between each exposure to see the image exposure on the screen. Guess the software did the best it could do with 3 very different images.
Was there a slight breeze? Looks like the petals changed position slightly.
05-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #99
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh yea, I see it.
There is a good tutorial on CameraEnthusiast.com using the clone tool. I expect layer masks would be the bomb but have yet to try it. I just got Photoshop and I need more RAM.

GeoGerry I'm think breeze too. Software struggles with aligning images that don't have common elements. Breeze aside I've had better results with a tripod for HDR. With the pod shots I usually have auto align turned off.

Last edited by riff; 05-22-2012 at 04:10 PM.
05-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #100
Veteran Member

I've had pretty good luck shooting by hand, but it really limits your PP options. Often a good way to get rid of halos is to mask in the best sky of your HDR batch. Can't do that unless you have a tripod.

If you REALLY want to get into HDR, go here: Stuck In Customs | HDR Photography, Travel Photography and Camera Reviews. This guy (Trey Ratcliff) is a guru and total enthusiast. Lots of good downloadable material here, including an HDR tutorial and other stuff.
05-22-2012, 02:49 PM   #101
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Thanks for the glowing review! (You're referring to the Yosemite shot?)
Yep - the Yosemite shot ...
05-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Was there a slight breeze? Looks like the petals changed position slightly.

Nope. no wind. I changed postions. Between each shot I looked at the screen on the camera for exposure data and had to reframe the image each time. I didn't know I was going to do an HDR. So it was just a fluke that the images looked some what a like.
05-22-2012, 04:18 PM   #103
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, Stuck In Customs | HDR Photography, Travel Photography and Camera Reviews is a great place to start, some good stuff here too Flickr: HDR discussion topics
05-23-2012, 06:16 AM   #104
Veteran Member

A few more extreme hdr's from Les...

Les Krims | i want you magazine
05-23-2012, 07:01 AM - 5 Likes   #105

Here are some of my HDR shots. I love HDR.

I have more to post if anyone is interested