Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2012, 05:38 AM   #121
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
Experimenting is great, I'm glad you did this.

So based on what I'm seeing on my screen, overall I prefer the jpg but there are some areas on the petals of the raw that I prefer.
Yes, that sums me up too.

Maybe these should be merged to make a JPEG / RAW baby? Or would Photomatrix have problems mixing them? Will have to give it a try.

05-24-2012, 06:12 AM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
Was wondering if an image could be made to look like this with just a single image...RAW or JPEG. Can it be done? Or does one need multiple exposures to produce this effect?
Photograph by Les Krims
There is a 99% probability that this image is a single image. It is extremely hard to pop off a true HDR photo using people as the subject, maybe if it is just a couple of people and the photo is staged it is possible, but a group of people in a candid shot (with one subject clapping her hands) would be near impossible to get a motion-blur'less HDR photo. This photo is a Tonemapped Photo created from a Simulated HDR. To capture a true HDR photo, you need to capture multiple shots, there is just no way around this as sensor and film can only capture so much dynamic range and just can't capture the entire dynamic range of high contrast scenes.

Tonemapping: Tone mapping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tonemapping is not HDR, it is however a process that is applied (not all of the time but most of the time) to HDR photography.

---------------

Back to the question, the answer is yes. An example of this is when using the "Digital Filter" inside of you camera body - if you use the HDR digital filter on a photo, the cameras internal processing engine will create the simulated HDR image (simulated HDR images are created from multiple copies of the same photo that have burns and dodges applied to the copies then merged back to one photo file) and apply tone mapping to the photo and save it back to the camera as a jpeg file.

Example:

Photo From Camera

Simulated HDR

Tonemapped From HDR

EDIT: Here is a link to a bigger version of the final from above -> http://flipmg.com/administration/portfolioModules/albumCreator/uploads/album...281_88e6c2.jpg
05-24-2012, 06:27 AM   #123
Veteran Member

Thanks Joe.
05-24-2012, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #124

Photos: Gallery
Great thread with some cool information. I am a Photomatix guy myself. Here are some more abominations

05-24-2012, 08:34 AM   #125

Forgot about my favorite HDR I did of my twin boys, aka. My Little Monsters

05-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #126
Veteran Member

Trig, some of those are pseudo HDR right?

Last edited by Anvh; 05-24-2012 at 10:19 AM.
05-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #127
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Trig, some of those are pseaudo HDR right?

Don't know what you call em...but keep em coming Trig! They are fabulous!

How many exposures are the minimum needed to get the freaky effects?

05-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #128

Trig, some of those are pseaudo HDR right?
Yes, some are. The one of my little monsters and the clean-up fire after Irene are pseudo-HDRs. All the rest were taken with multiple exposures.

I typically tend to take 5 shots at -4, -2, 0, +2, and +4 Evs. Most times I don't use the +4 exposure because the K-5 tens to over exposure anyway. I try to keep my ISO as low as possible. As of late, I have bee playing around textures as well as things in Photoshop I probably shouldn't be because I tend to be a hack at Photoshop. What I know about Photoshop (compared all that is possible) can fit into a thimble.

Here are a few more:

This one is interesting. This HDR was produced from 5 hand-held shots...at an ISO of 6,4000 (I love my K-5). But no, this is not a pseudo-HDR:

This self portrait is a pseudo-HDR:

I truly appreciate the feedback everyone.

Oh, before I forget..this image made it to the finals in Ron Howard's Project Imagina8ion that was held by CANON! This one made it into the top 10 for the "goal" category:

05-24-2012, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #129
Veteran Member

Pseudo means fake, they aren't HDR but simply toned map images.
The shots off his kids and with the truck are most likely pseudo because it would be hard to take 3 different exposure of that.

Nothing negatieve meant by it but they shouldn't be called HDR since they arent, that's all i'm saying.
05-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #130

The shots off his kids and with the truck are most likely pseudo because it would be hard to take 3 different exposure of that.

Nothing negatieve meant by it but they shouldn't be called HDR, that's all i'm saying.
Indeed. But, lucky for me the K-5 has so much dynamic range that you can make some great "fake" over and under exposed exposures by making them Camera Raw and then loading them into something like Photomatix for tine mapping. Perfect for when the subject is moving or certain elements in the shot are moving too much. Photomatix does have a great tool for dealing with ghosting though. For example the flag in my Iwo Jima shot was flying like crazy. Photomatix allowed me to select the flag from one exposure and use that.
05-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #131
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Trig Quote
Indeed. But, lucky for me the K-5 has so much dynamic range that you can make some great "fake" over and under exposed exposures
Well, I wouldn't say "fake" I would say "simulated".

With the K5 (or any DSLR that supports multi-exposure) you can actually make a true HDR from one image using multi-exposure, using the multi-exposure technique is actually better than using the in camera HDR. With multi-exposure, you can blend/merge up to 9 images together (all with different exposures, you can also use flash for some of the shots and not others) and it will be saved as a RAW file - this RAW file can contain an incredible amount of dynamic range and color information that can then be used for tonemapping.

@Trig - Awesome set, the self portrait is really cool!
05-24-2012, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #132
Veteran Member

OK, here is final rundown guys...all done with Photomatrix

1 JPEG image converted to 3 images with LR with 2 stops difference in exposure. (+2, 0, -2)

1 RAW image converted to 3 images with LR with 2 stops difference in exposure. (+2, 0, -2) Note: when I say 2 stops, I did 2 maximum click adjustments with the LR's exposure control.

I'm thinking I like this one best! Maybe it would not turn out this way with night shots or some other high range shot. But 1 RAW image seemed to out do all the rest.

Here are 3 JPEG's processed as HDR (+2, 0, -2)

Single RAW image processed as HDR (0)

Single JPEG image No HDR (0)

3 RAW images processed as HDR (+2, 0, -2)

Last edited by slackercruster; 05-24-2012 at 12:39 PM.
05-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #133
Veteran Member

Nothing negatieve meant by it but they shouldn't be called HDR since they arent, that's all i'm saying.

Wrong, it seems they have a category for em at the Strictly HDR forum. ..."The Creationists" So they are HDR

Some people hate them...I LUV EM!

But I also like the subtle HDR as well. They both have their uses.
05-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #134
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
OK, here is final rundown guys...all done with Photomatrix
Excellent work ya slacker! Thanks for sharing your experiments. I totally agree with your conclusions and I'd never have guessed the outcome correctly. This leaves me wondering what conditions and how many situations this applies to.

I really like the image.
05-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #135

When I am working on brackets for a HDR image, I make it a point to NEVER adjust the color in any HDR or tone mapping software. Especially using Photomatix. For me the colors usually look wrong, yeah I know weird to say that about a HDR image. In fact, all my HDR/tonemapped images out of Photomatix look just awful, terribly flat but that is how I like them out of tone mapping. I make adjustments in post. My biggest mistake was thinking they have to look great out of the HDR software.

I like my buildings to lean as well...even if it is my house. Taken at 8mm with the Sigma 8-16mm:

This one is not a pseudo-HDR. 4 exposures with some de-ghosting applied via Photomatix:

Same with this one, not a pseudo-HDR: