Show Printable Version 237 Likes Search this Thread
05-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #166
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Trig Quote
more "extreme" HDRs I shot yesterday at a local spot
Wonderful images Trig,
White's Factory looks a splendid location, real ruins!
Love the texture of the second.

05-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #167
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
This is a cholla cactus, a little after the bloom.
That's a swell image Jerry, very sharp and to the point.

You mentioned that Photomatix lets you choose a particular input photo to select a certain feature (usually a moving one, a flag in your case).
I think if you check semi automatic ghost removal (second check box as I recall) You will get an opportunity to draw around the area for a selection. If you drag bracket images onto Photomatix you should see the prompt, from within Aperture it may depend on default settings. (PC guy)

Last edited by riff; 05-29-2012 at 06:53 PM.
05-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #168
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by darrenleow Quote
Some HDRs of the University of Chicago
Great images Darren, nice HDR treatment. Thanks for posting them!
05-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #169
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tha first shot is fantastic. What lens were you using?

05-29-2012, 12:38 AM - 1 Like   #170
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
That's a swell image Jerry, very sharp and to the point.

I think if you check semi automatic ghost removal (second check box as I recall) You will get an opportunity to draw around the area for a selection. If you drag bracket images onto Photomatix you should see the prompt, from within Aperture it may depend of default settings. (PC guy)
Thanks! And speaking of sharp, you don't ever want to fall into a cholla. Very nasty.

Yeah you were right about Photomatix. If you open it from Aperture, as I've been doing for a few months now, you don't get the selection area option. But if you launch Photomatix as standalone, you do get the option. I tried it on this picture of Yosemite Falls, selecting most of the sky to eliminate the halo effect. Seems to work pretty well.... thanks!

Last edited by GeoJerry; 05-29-2012 at 11:26 PM.
05-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #171
Veteran Member

Seems slacker is pretty much gone for a month, why not use one of your own raws. How would this be, you PP and image in LR and provide a raw for download. Perhaps some will take a crack at doing an HDR of it. Might be interesting results.
My very first hdr then with the K10D
Will do one tomorrow, i'm upgrading to CS6 at the moment....

Actually you tell me which is the HDR and which is the process RAW.
ps. i was just shooting for 1 month when i took this so no comments on the photography skills please

Obviously there is no new information. However there is different information +2 0 -2 and it's presented differently, three images, not one. Without knowing exactly how Photomatix is coded we can only look at results and compare. I'm seeing excellent results from this method.
The point is that you create 3 images from 1 image so how can those 3 images hold more information then the parent? that's simply imposable or do you know a way to make something out of nothing?
Sure the process works i'm not saying that it doesn't, i'm only saying that the DR is not increased over the original and as such it isn't an HDR.

If you use bracketing, with that i mean real bracketing in the camera so that it makes 3 different photos at different exposure then yes it's an HDR because the source for each JPEG is different.
05-29-2012, 02:23 PM   #172
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I tried it on this picture of Yosemite Falls, selecting most of the sky to eliminate the halo effect. Seems to work pretty well.... thanks!
That is an incredible landscape Jerry. It looks like the clouds are spilling down the cliff and I suppose in a way they are. Beautiful textures, powerful dimensions well done from start to finish!

05-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #173
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
The point is that you create 3 images from 1 image so how can those 3 images hold more information then the parent? that's simply imposable or do you know a way to make something out of nothing?
I don't think anyone is saying the EV adjusted images contain more information then the RAW. I'm suggesting that possibly Photomatix can do a better job with more then one image even though the total dynamic range is not greater then the original RAW. I'm saying that without knowing how the algorithms work I can not definitively say which method will generally produce the best results. I feel that many many tests would be required to answer that question.

Sure the process works i'm not saying that it doesn't, i'm only saying that the DR is not increased over the original and as such it isn't an HDR
I have observed that there is a need for some minimum level of dynamic range to produce a pleasing HDR/tonemapped image. Based on both images I have done and images in this thread I believe the K5 can contain enough DR in a single RAW to produce exceptionally fine HDR images. I don't recall anyone ever indicating an image must contain x stops of DR to be HDR, though this may be true. Anyway I'm not so interested in the terminology as the results and these images are welcome and appreciated.

I posed the question to Photomatix support and will share their response here.
05-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #174
Veteran Member

That is an incredible landscape Jerry. It looks like the clouds are spilling down the cliff and I suppose in a way they are. Beautiful textures, powerful dimensions well done from start to finish!
Thanks riff!

But here's what my wife said: "It's too blue and green though. I'd like to see what it looks like naturally......." Now that she mentions it, maybe the cliffs have too much of a bluish tinge. She's a tough critic... tonight's project.
05-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #175

I'm new to HDR but here are some of my more recent attempts.

05-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #176
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I posed the question to Photomatix support and will share their response here.
Hello,
That is a good question indeed and not one with a simple answer. In fact we have an FAQ with details here:
FAQ about HDR photography software Photomatix - Tone Mapping, HDR images creation and Exposure Fusion

Best regards,
Ron
Photomatix Support Team
05-30-2012, 12:07 PM   #177
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by privateryan Quote
I'm new to HDR but here are some of my more recent attempts.
Lovely images, thanks for posting!
05-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #178
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually you tell me which is the HDR and which is the process RAW.
No idea, I'm guessing #1 is processed RAW.
05-30-2012, 10:34 PM   #179
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here are a few from my recent Hawaiian vacation.

Sunset

and what good is a sunset without a

Sunrise

Last edited by blackcloudbrew; 05-31-2012 at 08:05 AM.
05-31-2012, 09:52 AM   #180
Veteran Member

Wow I just went through the entire set again and some of you are just plain very good Here's a couple recent ones from me . I am using 5 braket shots +-1.0EV when should one try a larger or smaller range ? I would assume if there are lots of birght areas you should keep it 1 or less ?

Anyway mu humble submissions.

click on image twice for larger view

Moraine Lake

Wapta falls