Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
05-25-2012, 05:55 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Alium

Regrettably, this is the only alium that came up in my garden this year!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-25-2012, 07:06 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ottawa's specialty - black squirrels

Hey, he/she is part of the garden!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-25-2012, 07:33 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RM Barker Quote
Hey, never mind they grow wild; consider them guests or volunteers; adopt them. Thanks for joining in, Paul. Beautiful photos. Your lilies are several weeks ahead of ours but given the distance between DFW and Ottawa, I guess we should not be too surprised. Your bokeh, if I may say so, is masterful!
Thanks. Actually those lily photos are already about a month old - they are now starting to wilt in the early summer heat, but are hanging in there! Beautiful iris, and that looks like one well-fed squirrel
05-25-2012, 08:49 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I might get a day-lily before the week is out! The squirrels are spoiled rotten - they get peanuts here and who knows what else elsewhere - I'm convinced this is only one feeding station on their daily itinerary.

05-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #20
Veteran Member

First I have to say how much I am enjoying this thread and all the pictures posted. I am away from home right now and missing my garden which is only just now emerging... no irises or lilies yet... only very early bloomers. In Niagara Falls where I am visiting my son the gardens are in full swing.

Bob, I also did not get even one alium this year, and my bulbs are very mature. I have brought them with me on three moves and even last year had a full display of gorgeous purple flowers. I hope they will come back next year. Maybe it was that hot weather we got in March followed by another month of winter temps that caused the problem.
05-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That could well be, Tess. We had a terrible storm that went by here last evening and even though we just seemed to ge the edge of it, it did manage to do some considerable damage in the yard, especially to the bridal wreath spirea, in full bloom; it couldn't take the downpour and wind - kind of flattened! I have also enjoyed this thread. We'll have to try another.

Last edited by RM Barker; 05-29-2012 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Original didn't make sense!
05-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll add a couple more to keep the thread alive - here's some shots of our Cenizo (Texas Sage) in bloom. It will fill up with purple blossoms several times a year. Taken with a Panasonic TZ1 p&s:

Last edited by paulh; 05-26-2012 at 11:58 AM.
05-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So, that's what Texas sage looks like! I've reading about Texas Sage ever since my teen-age reading of Zane Grey. Lovely photographs, too.
05-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #24
Veteran Member

It isn't Spring down here, but perhaps something in that line of thinking.......

Sorry, I just noticed that I had duplicated one photo!

Last edited by Bramela; 05-30-2012 at 01:15 PM.
05-28-2012, 03:55 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Bruce, the colours in all of these are amazing, but the complementary colours in the 3rd make that image POP... very very nice work! Some new flowers to my eyes as well.
05-28-2012, 04:56 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
I'll add a couple more to keep the thread alive - here's some shots of our Cenizo (Texas Sage) in bloom. It will fill up with purple blossoms several times a year. Taken with a Panasonic TZ1 p&s:

Paul, I missed your thread. Very nice shots of the Sage. Gorgeous!

I am heading home today and can't wait to see how my garden is blooming. But, while walking around Niagara Falls I took a few flower photos. I visited way too late for the fruit tree blossoms.

05-28-2012, 05:31 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Bruce, the colours in all of these are amazing, but the complementary colours in the 3rd make that image POP... very very nice work! Some new flowers to my eyes as well.
+1 to this! I don't think I've seen flowers like these either - esp love #3 & #4. Are these blooming at the moment in your area? Beautiful shots. Tess, you got some nice captures as well - thanks for posting!
05-29-2012, 07:52 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Aaaah, Tess! You're good.
05-30-2012, 05:48 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Thanks!

Here is my favourite annual...these guys always make me smile for many many months. A couple of years ago my pansies lasted till the end of November!

05-30-2012, 06:37 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Out here in western Canada we are weeks behind the rest of you, but this year we are actually a few weeks advanced for us (if that makes sense). My garden offerings are primarily blossoms so far, the crab apple tree was especially nice this year and if I get time to process them I have even more apple blossoms to show off soon. However for now, reaching back a few weeks....