Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2522 Likes Search this Thread
06-20-2012, 06:21 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Backlit - Post your Backlit Shots

Just backlit. I did a search and came up with almost nothing, so maybe this will draw some interest.

Any Pentax, film or digital, whatever subject you want (as long as it's family friendly) and back lit.

Like these...

One of my common spots, loads of tall grass beside the road and right now it all has seed pods. I caught it just before sunset. Makinon 135mm K mount.

Don't ask me how I got this effect, taken within a few minutes of the other one but with a macro rig. Makinon 135mm and 26mm extension tube made from teleconverter. Probably got this by shooting almost straight into the sun but with the sun above the camera view. The others are at angles to the sun.

Makinon 135 rig again, Dandelion seeds almost gone.

All taken within a few minutes at the same spot, just before dark.

06-20-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

the 3rd one is stunning, Pete.........good shot
06-20-2012, 06:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Took this yesterday and I'm really fond of it I do love backlit grasses though. I wish I had a similar scene nearby.

You've got some good shots, it's a shame about the weird colour blobs in the last one though. I wonder what caused that? Also, it's rather heavily pixellated in the background on my screen :S

Love the insane colour in the second one though. These grasses make me think of ghosts wandering around in groups dancing in fields for some reason.
06-20-2012, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Shot directly into the sun...

06-20-2012, 08:38 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One flower to go along with the theme everyone else is posting

One portrait to bring in some fresh ideas

06-20-2012, 09:59 AM   #6
Pentaxian

From a work trip a few years ago, sun going down Chimney Tops in the Great Smokies Nat'l Park.

Jim

Last edited by RoxnDox; 02-08-2013 at 11:46 AM.
06-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, we're off to a good start. Some nice shots showing up already.

GDRoth - Thanks, I like that shot a lot myself.

Mareket - Good shot, the sun is a bit bright for my taste but still a good one. That's just my view...the only color blob I see in the 3rd one is at the base of the stem, I can't see it really well because of glare, but it's part of a plant behind the subject. couldn't crop it out.

I'd bet you do have some scenes like that not far away, just get out of town and look on the roadsides. That's where I got these. 2 minutes from town, pull over on a rural road and look around. I happened to be there just before sunset when the light started looking good for some backlit shots. That's the trick to the colors on those shots, just before sunset you get loads of great yellows and it filters through things like grass seeds and spider webs really well. Look around a little, I bet it won't be long till you can find a good spot. This is a pretty small area too, the first shot probably covers an area no more than 15 feet wide or so. I also used a 135mm lens, that takes in a lot less area than a 50mm too so it will do the trick in a small spot.

joe.penn enoeske and roxndox - nice shots. The pregnant portrait was well done.

Backlit dragonfly from a while back

I didn't expect this bluebird to come out at all, this side of the tree was in shade all day.

This was taken last year on a windy day at the same spot as the first set, no more than a few yards away. Took me probably 20 tries to get this shot of a wild sunflower. But I thought it might look good backlit.

Blowing in the Wind

Forgot this one was still posted on Flickr, another one from the same location, also backlit. I think it was posted on here a while back too.

Keep 'em coming...

06-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
Mareket - Good shot, the sun is a bit bright for my taste but still a good one. That's just my view...the only color blob I see in the 3rd one is at the base of the stem, I can't see it really well because of glare, but it's part of a plant behind the subject. couldn't crop it out.

I'd bet you do have some scenes like that not far away, just get out of town and look on the roadsides. That's where I got these. 2 minutes from town, pull over on a rural road and look around. I happened to be there just before sunset when the light started looking good for some backlit shots. That's the trick to the colors on those shots, just before sunset you get loads of great yellows and it filters through things like grass seeds and spider webs really well. Look around a little, I bet it won't be long till you can find a good spot. This is a pretty small area too, the first shot probably covers an area no more than 15 feet wide or so. I also used a 135mm lens, that takes in a lot less area than a 50mm too so it will do the trick in a small spot.
Yeah, I've been playing with my screen and I can't see the colour blobs now, but still the pixellation... I can see it in the dark spots of most of your photos :S It's nothing major, and it doesn't detract from the photos (especially the dragonfly... the detail in his wings catching the light is lovely). Compression artefacts maybe?

With regards to the lack of grass near me... yeah, I've gotten into a habit of talking crap lately. There are obviously places like this near me. I don't know why I said that really. Aha, but yeah I'll head out and find some good grasses to shoot in the sun Though saying that we've been pretty short on sunlight recently... I tried to do some backlit sort of work on plants with a gelled flash today. Sea fog be damned.
06-21-2012, 06:05 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A couple from a trip to the desert last week... (Kit lens)

Last edited by todd; 06-21-2012 at 06:11 PM.
06-22-2012, 10:42 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I posted this to the insect thread the other day, but perhaps it'll fit in here, too. I love trying to catch nicely backlit subjects.

A poppy, lit up in the morning.

Not sure what this shrub is. Late afternoon sun, after a rain shower.

Cherry blossom, early morning.

Gone-wild mint patch, early evening sun.

06-23-2012, 12:28 AM - 4 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

Some from earlier this year:
Aquilegia | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

All sizes | Poppy | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Sunny South | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

06-24-2012, 10:32 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

amazig stuff Stephen.. The poppy is especially stunning..

06-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Taken earlier this month when sunlight was fleeting:
06-30-2012, 05:16 PM - 3 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

one of my older ones
Attached Images

07-01-2012, 03:58 PM - 3 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter