Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2012, 10:22 PM   #61
ASa

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yesterday was the first day I wasn't able to get anything at all, but today I'm hopefully back in game!

07-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #62

I can't believe I'm on day 9 and have entered every day. I tried this one time a few years ago and only made it a few days then skip a few and do some more. It seems to drain my brain as far as ideas of what to photograph.
07-09-2012, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You are doing well for sure, the toughest part comes near middle of the month as most of us can testify.

If I could suggest... just don't "photograph" - if you are having a tough time, pick a theme and plan your shots. I know a certain participant that made a famous month out of rail road crossings, and another who shot street art... the options are limitless, and if you create a theme, but come across a better shot for the day, you have that much more ammunition for later in the month (AKA safety / spares).

Remember, we dont live where you do, so telling a story about your community, or a local industry can be very interesting, and fertile grounds for photographic juices.

Cheers, and enjoy your Single In effort - its not meant to be torture
07-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wise advice! Take it from someone who knows (ok I was the guy who figured out that shooting railroad crossings for a whole month got me trough a rough creative patch in the middle of last year), monthly themes are a big help.

07-09-2012, 09:13 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Wise advice! Take it from someone who knows (ok I was the guy who figured out that shooting railroad crossings for a whole month got me trough a rough creative patch in the middle of last year), monthly themes are a big help.
That was a fantastic serie. Right up there with Matt's bridge series and Jeff's trains. I did something similar though not for a whole month with churches. Highly recommended exercise!
07-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the kind remarks. It really brought me out of the creative doldrums half way through last year. I'm considering doing it again as there are more crossings to shoot but...they are a lot farther away so I'm not sure about it.

Oh, the bridges series - wow.

The trains, holy cow were those way cool or what?
07-10-2012, 05:33 AM   #67

Okay if you want things from my area I'll have to do cow and cornfield themes, lol. My town consist of a Post office, corner store, library, school, fire house and beauty salon. That would cover 6 days, lol. There is also the 50 pianos set up at various locations. I found 4 so far and I now have a map where the others are.

07-10-2012, 06:13 AM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Earl53 Quote
Okay if you want things from my area I'll have to do cow and cornfield themes, lol. My town consist of a Post office, corner store, library, school, fire house and beauty salon. That would cover 6 days, lol. There is also the 50 pianos set up at various locations. I found 4 so far and I now have a map where the others are.
The pianos are a great idea and a wonderful use for all those old pianos made obsolete by the much more portable electronic versions. But how are they protected from the elements?
07-10-2012, 08:02 AM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Darn right pianos are a great theme. Several years ago in my small town, they got some old pianos donated, had them all painted up as art projects

and then auctioned them off for charity.

Then, they took one more and ...

dropped it from about 120feet up.

it was just a smashing event

Yep, pianos are a great theme.
07-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It sounds as though some affirmation of a project is required.

Considering this project in terms of Malcolm Gladwell's "Outliers" - the 10,000 hour rule. The only way to excel, or profess in a discipline is to practice it.

4 years of doing Single In Challenges might have you half way to professionalism in the field of Photography

Tim, so sad about the piano carnage.... Sniff
07-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #71
Pentaxian

Sure looks like one!

Phew, you did a hell of a work at there, well captured momentum(fall). WOW.

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Darn right pianos are a great theme. Several years ago in my small town, they got some old pianos donated, had them all painted up as art projects

and then auctioned them off for charity.

Then, they took one more and ...

dropped it from about 120feet up.

it was just a smashing event

Yep, pianos are a great theme.
07-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #72

QuoteOriginally posted by jmschrei Quote
The pianos are a great idea and a wonderful use for all those old pianos made obsolete by the much more portable electronic versions. But how are they protected from the elements?
When it rains the ones that are outside have covers for them. They are not in the greatest shape to begin with. Some have the foot pedals missing and some have keys that don't work.
07-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Sure looks like one!

Phew, you did a hell of a work at there, well captured momentum(fall). WOW.
Yep, it was gone with the twang! (Hey that was shot with a K10d!)
07-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #74

This is my first month with this challenge and I'm liking it so far. I look at the lenses I have and they are all telephoto. I have a kit lens 18-50mm, a Sigma 70-200mm and a Sigma 28-200mm, which I'm using for this challenge. All of these are automatic and I do have a few old manual lens like a 135mm. I have this feeling that I'm using more than one lens when I have a range to work with. I'm thinking I'll do this again next month and maybe challenge myself by using the manual 135mm lens or my 70-200 and pick a mm and shoot with that one only.
07-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #75
ASa

Shooting with primes isn't all about better quality and lighter weight for me. It's actually more of a way on challenging myself to find a proper composition with the focal length I have available, and thus leading to better results. I have the kit zoom and a Tamron AD2 80-210mm and with them I always find myself shooting in the one end of the range or the other. I rarely find the time to properly composite and think for the shot.
And especially with manual lenses you need to stop for a moment and think about the photo before you can take it. My main lenses were M50 f/17.7 and M28 f/2.8 for over a year, and before that I only had the fifty and shot with it more than with my kit lens At least for me it's a great way to learn new, and think more of my photographing. So I encourage you to take the challenge next month with your manual 135!

But first, lets finish this one!