Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
07-29-2012, 10:30 PM - 1 Like   #91
ASa

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One extra shot to show the beautiful summer evening light that's been around for a while...

07-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Single in August?

Is there going to be a single in August?

NaCl(I'm up for it, but I didn't see anyone mentioning it)H2O
07-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Posted Here
07-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Another month is over!
The DA 18-135 is a passable lens, but it's not sharp enough for my taste, and needs lots of PP. Bokeh is OK, but I just hate the dimmer viewfinder, give me F2.8 or better every time please. Nice range of focal lengths, Pentax could have and SHOULD have done better with this lens.
Just my 2c worth.

Congrats to everyone, who finished, especially Mar (just kidding!)

07-30-2012, 10:19 PM   #95
Veteran Member

IF there is a Single in August, I guess I will have a shot at it. However, something is hovering about the middle of the month that may effect my participation. More later, if things turn out that way.
07-31-2012, 12:23 AM   #96
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm done too. It has been a most educational experience. I have enjoyed the process, and learned a lot. Thanks for having me along for the ride.

I am pleasantly surprised at the performance of the DA*16-50. Unless mine is an unusually good copy it is pretty sharp, renders pretty well and is very versatile. It focuses nice and close, handles well and is weather sealed. Not much to dislike.

Having said that, I'm looking forward to shooting more with my loverly primes

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 07-31-2012 at 05:30 AM.
07-31-2012, 04:57 AM   #97

I can't believe I stuck with this for the whole month. All I have is today to complete with a photo and I made it. It was a fun and challenging event and had me looking for things to photograph. I will chose a manual lens if I do another event like this. I have a 135mm manual that would add more challenge.

07-31-2012, 05:54 AM   #98
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well done all!
07-31-2012, 06:27 AM   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations to all participants this month. Some really fine contributions all around though I am afraid I didn't get around with comments as much as I might have liked. I really enjoyed my lens, the DA 35 macro limited this time. I have owned this lens for several years but as my lens collection has grown I've used it less. With the K-5 it has been an especially great combo but I also suspect my own confidence as a photographer has grown so I found myself able to achieve what I imagined more often than not. See you in August!
07-31-2012, 06:36 AM   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thoughts on the Pentax 100mm WR

I really like this lens. Quite sharp even wide open and very very sharp from about 3.5 on. My one quibble with this lens is in the macro range. I've been very spoiled by the Tamron 90mm macro. I have a slightly older version of this lens, one without the "optimal digital lens coatings" what ever that means, However the one thing I like about the Tammy is that the focus throw is quite a bit longer than the pentax, for macros that is very nice as I then have considerable more "play" in getting what I want in focus. I always manually focus macros, as I feel that what's OOF is as important as what is in focus, and auto focus doesn't allow me enough leeway to do that.
On the other hand for "normal" shooting the quick-shift is a very handy feature as is the weather sealing.

NaCl(I think I'll keep both but use the Tammy for dedicated macro and the Pentax for normal use)H2O
07-31-2012, 09:30 AM   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Last shots posted. Wow what a tough month and hot here too! I think the FA28mm is a super lens and I enjoyed using it a lot, although I got a bit more practice with hyper focal calculation than I would have liked.
Well done everyone!
I'm off to try and catch up with comments!
07-31-2012, 12:24 PM   #102
Veteran Member

I, as NaCl, did, used the DFA100mm WR macro through July, and it has lived up to it's great reputation. I have enjoyed using it immensely. a brilliant lens for Macro and close shots,, but I found it a bit long for some landscape shots, naturally.

August? yes I will go round again and I will give my DA70mm a run, as I recently purchased it, and haven't really tried it all yet.
Hope everybody is going to join the fun for August. Al have days when when we are busy or under pressure, but there is no great expectation on anybody. Just enjoy the participation.
07-31-2012, 01:56 PM   #103
Pentaxian

Hi you all! I have been shooting, but can't upload(only access by Iphone to web for now)... Congrats to you all!

Just wanted to say tgat Samyang 85 have been really nice lens to shoot with. You can shoot almost anutthing with it and it gives really smooth Oof. 85mm is little hard to get used to. Definetly worth to have in bag, since this focal is used so rarely(by me) don't wan't better version(AF). Little let down is sharpness stopped down and slightly sticky blades. But that is like no problem at wide apertures 1.4-5.6

So when I get to computer with internet and possibility to download images, You will see rest of my this months shots . Oh' and I propably go with DA*55 for august. (M75-150 zoom could be black horse over DA*, not 100 % sure yet.)
07-31-2012, 01:59 PM   #104
Pentaxian

Great shot ASa, beautiful light and well shot too!

QuoteOriginally posted by ASa Quote
One extra shot to show the beautiful summer evening light that's been around for a while...
07-31-2012, 03:28 PM   #105

One more month, and much easier than june if I may say so.

There's not much I can say about the F 50 f/1.7 except that the 50ish focal range suits me much better than the 28 I used last month. Apart from that the lens is optically very good, sharp when not wide open (I use it mostly around f/2.8), and has a very nice bokeh even when closed down (for the record, the last 2 flowers of this month were shot at f/14 close to minimal focusing distance). The autofocus is quite noisy but really fast and precise, and the only cases I really saw it hunting were when shooting directly toward bright sunlight, as I did quite a lot today.

All in all, I guess I could almost use it for a second month in a row.