Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
08-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #106

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This has been a long two months and it seems to have gone too fast. I can't believe I've gone everyday for two months. Not sure if I'll make a third but I'll give it a try. I have a 70-200mm f2 lens I might use for next month.

08-29-2012, 04:42 PM   #107
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fantastic! Yes, there is kind of a rhythm to this challenge. Sounds like a nice lens for September. Love to see what you do with it.
08-30-2012, 05:40 AM   #108
ASa

Oh my, I realized I haven't been able to get a single shot in days... Lost motivation with the 50 as I didn't get the pictures I wanted with it. To me it seems like the 50 can't be forced to produce good results. It's a fine lens, super sharp and can produce stellar images, but then again the images always require some pp. They aren't as contrasty and rich in colour as I want them to be, and I'm not looking for those often sought after candy colours... It's just that after looking through the 50 on my ME Super, the viewfinder on my K10 seems like a dark room. That and I'm busier than ever working while studying, doing stuff that some other people were supposed to do during the summer...

My apologies for leaving in the middle of the month, hope to get back again when times are better!
08-30-2012, 08:46 AM   #109
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey, ASa, life happens. I've enjoyed your work so come back when you can.

08-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #110
Pentaxian

You know, no problemo.

Nifty fifty can be challenge of it own. take it easy, and who knows work and study you will get used to and then you will get back. Maybe even use camera during your work at pauses, morning ect. shots can be from ordinary things too

QuoteOriginally posted by ASa Quote
Oh my, I realized I haven't been able to get a single shot in days... Lost motivation with the 50 as I didn't get the pictures I wanted with it. To me it seems like the 50 can't be forced to produce good results. It's a fine lens, super sharp and can produce stellar images, but then again the images always require some pp. They aren't as contrasty and rich in colour as I want them to be, and I'm not looking for those often sought after candy colours... It's just that after looking through the 50 on my ME Super, the viewfinder on my K10 seems like a dark room. That and I'm busier than ever working while studying, doing stuff that some other people were supposed to do during the summer...

My apologies for leaving in the middle of the month, hope to get back again when times are better!
08-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #111
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, like repaap said, shots can be from ordinary things too, i.e., not every shot you take and post here has to be museum quality!
08-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #112

ASa, looking forward to seeing your work again!

I have managed to post a picture most days, more or less, but I'm hopelessly behind on comments. As blackcloudbrew said, life happens.

08-31-2012, 12:37 AM   #113
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm a little behind in comments too, but I will complete that aspect of the month's activities. I'm glad to see the end of my Soligor 28mm; it's been a surprisingly challenging lens dragged out from the distant past. Thanks all for the comments on my images; thank you too for all your efforts in putting your own up for scrutiny - it's helped me pick up yet more ways to improve my photography.
08-31-2012, 12:57 AM   #114
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just about to post my final shot.

I purchased the 24-70mm lens because I hope it will make a good "16-50mm" equivalent on FF, if Pentax ever makes one.
On an Aps-c camera the range is weird, but not totally unusable, and the lens is fast, and sharp, and silent! I fluked some nice bird shots with it, and today learned that it can focus close enough for a handy macro shot.

I highly recommend this lens, unfortunately it is expensive, and heavy. On the other hand, it really does look like a PRO lens, I got plenty of interest from passers by!

Cheers, and congrats to everyone. I love everyones individual styles now!
08-31-2012, 04:45 AM   #115
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Last shot of the month is up. The FA 28-70mm makes for a good light walk around lens. It seems to be sharp enough from wide open but stopped down a little to f5.6 it is better. I like the colours but contrast needs a boost in PP. I am happy enough and don't need to buy a flash 2.8 lens from Tamron or Sigma in the same range.
See LBA averted. The Singles Challenge really does save you money .... in the long term
08-31-2012, 06:31 AM   #116
Pentaxian

So, it is about time to put some words at here about my lens choise. Actually this lens have been on my wish list for long now and I desided to go for it about 2 months a go. Boy I'm happy that I did. It os really nice to shoot, there is some optical problems but not too much. Images are contrasty and sharp and colourful. And this lens is easy to shoot with. Perhaps I should do another single in with it with not so busy month.

In one sentence, great lens which gives me much room to develope my skills and my eye. Congrats for all for this month.
08-31-2012, 08:07 AM   #117
Veteran Member

hummmm... what lens what lens....

DA*50-135 maybe picked up from the shop today... that would be fun
FA77 1.8... always a fun lens. but I use it too much already
maybe a M 75-150?
could even go with my M 200 f4 just cus?
my Sigma 70-300 dosn't get enough love....
08-31-2012, 09:40 AM   #118
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I still have to capture today's masterpiece. But as for my lens of choice. The FA 50/1.4 or similar fast 50s is a good basic workhorse for any budding photographer but I do find myself a little drained after a month with it. It does produce some nice close ups, some nice bokeh and is fun for playing with shallow DoF but on it's own I tend to find it somewhat flat and lacking in contrast. PP, especially tweaking curves, is essential. I also had to order a rubber lens from B&H and I almost always use a polarizing filter and I find that both improve the quality of the shots.

Congratulations to all another fine month. Kudos to those soldiering on for Single in September #3. It is one month I have never done primarily because it is always one of the busiest months of the year in my work. Likely I will see you all again in future months.
08-31-2012, 03:07 PM   #119

Some thoughts now the month is over.

I used a Super Takumar 35 f/3.5 which is a great lens. I like its 3D rendering very much, and it is capable of turning about any somewhat interesting subject into a postcard. I had a difficult time finishing the month though; I find these "normal" focal lengths less inspiring than either my usual short telephotos or more or less extreme wide angle lenses. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed shooting the 35 very much, and I will continue to use it from time to time as I have been doing since I bought it last winter. However I wouldn't use it for another month, as I almost considered doing with my 50ish primes.

Now I hope next month will be easier, at least I should have time to keep the "one photo per day" schedule. It has been quite hard (and sometimes impossible) in august, mostly because of vacations and hours spent driving from here to there.
08-31-2012, 04:22 PM   #120

Another month down and that was quite the challenge for me. I had to think in manual mode in my brain. Tomorrow I install the Sigma 70~200mm and see what I can do with that. We're getting into apple picking season and fairs.