Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
09-30-2012, 07:21 PM   #211

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just wanted to share this shot with everyone. I took it with my phone the night of the 23rd when I was at the lake shore at sunset for some late golden and early blue hour photos. I wish I would have been able to upload this one for that day... but, alas, it is as it is, and you can still enjoy! K200D on tripod, with Takumar bayonet 28mm F2.8 mounted and a round 49mm "35/50" hood.

09-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #212
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice shot of the Pentax strap blowing in the wind!

Well Single in September 2012 is over for me and I think it's about time too. This last week has gotten hard to find interesting shots within my theme - Lines. On balance, I have to say that the DA 50 f1.8 is a wonderful prime lens and I think after using it for a month, I'm finally getting used to a 50mm lens on a cropped sensor. My previous attempts with the FA 50 f1.4 had been less than inspiring. Up until this month I'd given up on this focal length for day in day out shooting. I wish this was a bit wider (like say 40 or 43mm) but my feet typically can compensate for this. This lens is a good all rounder I think. I don't know what it really does best but as it, small, light, and modest cost, I think it's a good addition to anyone's camera bag.

Positives - versatile lens, good bokeh and 7 blades make for a nice combination. It's not quick shift but the lens focus ring still works even in AF mode. Nice.

Negatives - it's a bit noisy on focus, noticed it a lot a first but I don't notice it now. Lens caps...well, I've already lost one lens cap on this (it was on a kiddie roller coaster ok?) and it just seems like the lens cap just doesn't want to fully bite. That's all.

So...it's a keeper and is likely to be used more than a little bit.

Wrap up on my theme - lines. When I started the month, I thought I'd have lots of easy shots but it got harder as the month wore on. Glad I did it though and I recommend it to anyone else.

Thanks for all your kind remarks and congrads to all of you who traveled on this road.

October I'll be using the Pentax A 35-105 f3.5 and not doing a theme.
09-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #213
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

An excellent month. Well done all. I have struggled a little to keep up a daily flow, and have relied on my time machine a little more than I would have liked.

The FA43 is a strange beast, but once you learn its sweet spot it can produce some stunning images. It's not an all-rounder (on APS-C at least), but its tricks are impressive enough for it to remain in my collection.

Now I need to decide whether I'll keep the DA40: a challenge for another month....
10-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #214
Pentaxian

So, I posted my last shots at here too. weas a busy month, but I enjoyed it with my F28...I enjoyed of lookind your shots too...

If I should say my expressions on this lens, it would be that It is just great! So nice Focal, great colour, sharpness and rendering. you can throw anything for this little lens. Makes me lust after FA 31 thou...oh well that is another story. Thank you all for this month. I can't join Si october, hope that you will enjoy! I'll do November...until then

10-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #215
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really enjoyed your month repaap!
10-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #216
Pentaxian

Thank you BCB. Was nice to follow your work with 'lines' it builded up really nice.
10-01-2012, 01:09 PM   #217
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Thanks all for letting me join.

I can't do another month of daily pics. I wish I could take a look at the October pics and make comments but I don't think I can so.....I'll just say I'll miss y'all. Have fun!

10-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #218
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good one Aapo; look forward to your return.
10-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #219
Pentaxian

Can't wait Rod! next month will be too tought thou...so November.

QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
Good one Aapo; look forward to your return.
10-03-2012, 06:40 AM   #220
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, have posted the last image for September now, and can now rest easy for a while!

Have hugely enjoyed the Challenge although it seemed to take over my life for the past 30 days. Will be back again at some stage with another M lens - already thinking of the M85/2 or the M100/4 Macro. Thank you all who participated - seeing your photos spurred me on to try harder. I tried to comment on at least a few photos of each participant, my apologies if I have missed you. All photos were certainly looked at.

After the best part of 900 photos taken with the M28/3.5 over the past month, I have to say it's a great little lens. Sharp, good colours, well behaved. Used on APS-C, it's around 42mm effective length - the perfect 'normal' lens - and very close to that of my favorite compact film camera of years gone past, the Olympus Trip 35. It was a pleasure to stuff the K-x coupled with the M28 into a small, easy to carry around bag.

Edit: This was my first Single in... challenge, but I managed to get a shot in for each day, no safety shots used. Maybe that's why it felt so intense??

Across the M range I am finding:

(1) green button metering is about 2/3rd EV too dark so I am in the habit of giving the shutter dial a couple of clicks to the left straight after metering and then adjust as necessary after I have reviewed the histogram of the first shot;

(2) the M lenses need a little more PP work than digitally optimised lenses to get them just right, but the rewards are there for extra effort. In particular, white balance often needs a bit of a helping hand; and

(3) I shoot RAW so it's hard to know exactly what is normal for out of the camera, but compared again to digitally optimised lenses, M lenses' RAW images are a little flatter out of the camera and need comparatively more contrast, clarity, and vibrance boosts.

Going to miss this lens as I put it onto the shelf for a while so I can try out something else.

Last edited by southlander; 10-03-2012 at 06:47 AM.
10-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #221
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great lens notes Southlander, I enjoyed your series very much and would love to see you return. The Single in challenges are a grind though and while it does get easier, it get's harder first. I have several 28mm lenses and have never really worked them out or felt much about this length. I may have to explore this range in a future challenge, that Kiron 28 I have is gathering dust...
10-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #222
Veteran Member

Hey guys,

I will start with my appologies... I fell off the face of the planet over the last 2 weeks, and haven't had time to even pick up my camera in that time.
But here is my view on the k 50 1.2:
I'll start with the con's that I came across. Firstly this lens is very difficult to focus wide open on a stock focusing screen, I will over the next few months get myself a s-type canon screen from focusingscreens.com to help use this lens.
It really pushes your technique, and I get the feeling I might only use this when I am after specific effects (bokeh). Finally I find it quite vulnerable to flare, and I don't have a hood so this generally required taking my focusing hand away and shielding the light... I need to get a hood for it.

now the good bits:
-I love the colours
-Bokeh is just plain fun.
-Build is just awesome.
-It slows down alot of my shots and makes me think a bit more about them, generally getting better results.
- I put it on an old film camera I had with some expired B&W film so I look forward to developing the roll to see how it turns out... should be a bit of fun since I have never shot any film before.