Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
08-29-2012, 12:54 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Single in September (2012)

It's been two long years since stillshunter came up with the idea of this challenge, to help cure LBA.

If you don't like intense challenges, and hard work, then read no further, you wouldn't last a week, so don't bother.

If you don't mind the challenge, and have enough grit to stick it out, then the rewards are just awesome, you gain some really good friends, and improve your photography skills, and youget to say "I made it" at the end of the month.

But don't worry, most of all it is fun, there are lots of great people to support you during the month, and your LBA won't lessen, especially when you see what others can do with their chosen lens for the month.
And you get to take a shot every day, and your passion for photography is rekindled.

===============================================================================================
The rules are simple. Choose one lens and take and post a picture to the daily group thread for each day of the month. Here is a sample day from July 2012.

There is no pressure and everyday doesn't have to be a masterpiece.

Many parts of the world are represented Australia, Asia, Europe and North America. It's a great way to get more involved in the forums too. (Love to see a contingent from India, Asia Minor, and/or South America)

Here is how it works
Take a picture each day using the same lens for the whole month (it's ok / inevitable to miss a couple of days - so don't worry)
Upload the picture to a "Single in September 2012" album in your album space on the forums or you can use Flickr (Single Challenge link) or other hosting service. If you want comments, you will have to permit commenting by making the photo public in your album, or on Flickr or other service, and Provide a link for us to click through to.

Post the picture to the daily thread here.

You will have to join the group to post there.
Comment on other member's pictures (please and thank you). All comments will be warmly received from the basic "I like it" to "Well, I think you channelled Ansel Adams wonderfully!"
Have fun, learn lots about your camera / lens combination, and yourself!
EASY!

You can freely select any single lens to use for the whole month, and it's OK to use extension tubes, macro add-ons, teleconverters etc. However, please include the lens details when you are posting your pictures.

As this is the Pentax Forums I think it would be best to use Pentax cameras or bodies. As to lenses any manufacturer is ok. So full frame must wait unless you want to use film (Some participants have posted film - you can too!).

If you are unsure how to post pictures please check the video below or ask in this thread.

Patjapan has kindly created a short video clip on how to use the board posting features to post your image in the thread (please 1024 long side) and add a link so that we can leave our comments.

Last edited by jackassp; 08-29-2012 at 01:14 AM.
08-29-2012, 01:27 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm in Jack and yes, the camaraderie is a real strong point. I've decided on my D-FA 50mm 1:2.8 Macro. It's barely had an outing.
08-29-2012, 01:40 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
I'm in Jack and yes, the camaraderie is a real strong point. I've decided on my D-FA 50mm 1:2.8 Macro. It's barely had an outing.
Good on ya Rod, you are a an asset to the challenge! I can't wait to see what this lens can do, it is arguably the sharpest Pentax lens of modern times.
08-29-2012, 03:40 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Jack - flattery will get you everywhere . If my efforts with the 50mm can get anywhere close to the sharpness that you and Bruce have displayed for example, then I'll be very happy. I know there's a place for "softness" and I think I've learned a lot in this Singles group about using it to good effect, but deep deep down, the science background keeps coming through as I try to document the real world in my images. Cheers, Rod

08-29-2012, 04:16 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
if you don't like intense challenges, and hard work, then read no further, you wouldn't last a week, so don't bother.
lmao!

Da15/4
08-29-2012, 04:59 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
@matt

Glad you can stay longer.

Do you think my text was a bit "over the top"?
08-29-2012, 05:31 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

sept

this sounds like fun...if i take pictures say on a sat and sun but can't get to a computer until monday do i post the pictures from sat and sun or just monday...kinda early in the am amy

08-29-2012, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, since a South Aussie is hosting this coming month's challenge, I'm in. M28 F3.5 I think.

Southlander
08-29-2012, 06:32 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
this sounds like fun...if i take pictures say on a sat and sun but can't get to a computer until monday do i post the pictures from sat and sun or just monday...kinda early in the am amy
The basic format here is that you take pictures each day with one lens and post one a day on the thread. Clearly if you can't post for a few days as happens for many reasons (work, vacation, or just can't get it done), no problem, just post your single image for each day in the appropriate daily thread for the challenge.
08-29-2012, 06:34 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, and as already announced, I will be using the new DA 50 f1.8 as my choice for September. I may choose a theme again but I haven't decided on one. I'm considering 'lines' but I may not do that this month either. I will also not start posting until around September 3rd as I'm off line for few days. So here we go again SiS12
08-29-2012, 06:47 AM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Jack, I think your statement "If you don't like intense challenges, and hard work, then read no further, you wouldn't last a week, so don't bother." isn't over the top. It's true. If you're not ready for the intensity of this every day thing, you'll be lost in it before you get started.

I made loads of new friends since I started this challenge, so friends still not sure which lens, but I'm in. I was thinking more macro, and although I enjoy it, I think the lens will be the newer Pentax F zoom 28-80 straight up.
08-29-2012, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm in. This last month has been a modern zoom, DA 16-50. Since I try to vary my shooting experience, this time I think I'll go with a legacy prime, the K 135 f/2.5. That's about as far away from the DA 16-50 as you can get w/o using a Q!

NaCl(should be fun reaquainting myself with an old friend)H2O
08-29-2012, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

sept

i'm in...will either be the fa31 or 77 limited...amy
08-29-2012, 06:58 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Welcome pearsaab and southlander! If Sandy sticks around that will be 3 of us South Aussies. Maybe we should get together and have a few frothies? or reds? etc.

I entered the original Single in September 2 years ago and used my A 28mm 2.8 lens, unfortunately I don't have this lens any more, but I do have an FA 28mm 2.8, and a K28/3.5, so I will go with one of these, probably the K lens, manual focus can be a lot more fun.

Cheers.
08-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #15

I'm in. I'll try something different than some of the other lenses chosen previously, 10-17 fisheye.

should be fun!