Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
09-25-2012, 05:27 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Single in October (2012)

Single in October (2012)
It's been over two years since stillshunter came up with the idea of this challenge, to help cure LBA. And it's still running and getting stronger all the time!

If you don't like intense challenges, and hard work, then read no further, you wouldn't last a week, so don't bother.

I invite you all to join the challenge, and hope you can stick it out to the end, and then the rewards are truly awesome, you gain some really good friends, and improve your photography skills, and you get to say "I made it" at the end of the month.

But don't worry, most of all it is fun, there are lots of great people to support you during the month, and your LBA won't lessen, especially when you see what others can do with their chosen lens for the month!
And you get to take a shot every day, and your passion for photography is rekindled.

===============================================================================================
The rules are simple. Choose one lens and take and post a picture to the daily group thread for each day of the month. Here is a sample day from July 2012.

There is no pressure and everyday doesn't have to be a masterpiece.

Many parts of the world are represented Australia, Asia, Europe and North America. It's a great way to get more involved in the forums too. (Love to see a contingent from India, Asia Minor, and/or South America)

Here is how it works:
Take a picture each day using the same lens for the whole month (it's ok / inevitable to miss a couple of days - so don't worry)
Upload the picture to a "Single in October 2012" album in your album space on the forums or you can use Flickr (Single Challenge link) or other hosting service. If you want comments, you will have to permit commenting by making the photo public in your album, or on Flickr or other service, and Provide a link for us to click through to.

Post the picture to the daily thread here.

You will have to join the group to post there first!
Comment on other member's pictures (please and thank you). All comments will be warmly received from the basic "I like it" to "Well, I think you channelled Ansel Adams wonderfully!"
Have fun, learn lots about your camera / lens combination, and yourself!
EASY!

You can freely select any single lens to use for the whole month, and it's OK to use extension tubes, macro add-ons, teleconverters etc. However, please include the lens details when you are posting your pictures.

As this is the Pentax Forums I think it would be best to use Pentax cameras or bodies. As to lenses any manufacturer is ok. So full frame must wait unless you want to use film (Some participants have posted film - you can too!).

If you are unsure how to post pictures please check the video below or ask in this thread.

Patjapan has kindly created a short video clip on how to use the board posting features to post your image in the thread (please 1024 long side) and add a link so that we can leave our comments.

Last edited by jackassp; 09-25-2012 at 05:33 AM.
09-25-2012, 05:28 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Patolds has kindly offered to help in October (I will be taking a break) - thanks Paddy. Your blood is thicker than Yarra water!
09-25-2012, 05:34 AM   #3
ASa

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmm, I'll give it a thought... I'm still in the process of stabilising my time between work, school and free time activities, but if I get everything in order I'll give my M28 f/2.8 a go. I've never really liked it's dof control abilities and often the pictures seem somehow dull, but then again I notice I have it on my K10D more than often nowadays so it must be something with the focal length. Despite it's shortcoming I've made some of my best pictures with it...
Or maybe try to get used to my DA40ltd... But first I have to sort things out with rest of my life
09-25-2012, 05:40 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ASa Quote
Hmm, I'll give it a thought... I'm still in the process of stabilising my time between work, school and free time activities, but if I get everything in order I'll give my M28 f/2.8 a go. I've never really liked it's dof control abilities and often the pictures seem somehow dull, but then again I notice I have it on my K10D more than often nowadays so it must be something with the focal length. Despite it's shortcoming I've made some of my best pictures with it...
Or maybe try to get used to my DA40ltd... But first I have to sort things out with rest of my life
Hope you can make it. Good luck.

09-25-2012, 05:56 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
Sounds easy because I often go a month or two without changing lenses anyway. I don't get out of the house much, though, so my subject matter doesn't vary much. With weather warming up, perhaps I can get out to do some other stuff. I'm up for it.
09-25-2012, 06:11 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Sounds Fun.

If you do a November I'll be in as I should have my K-5 IIs by then.
09-25-2012, 06:12 AM   #7
ASa

QuoteOriginally posted by Corto-PA Quote
Sounds Fun.

If you do a November I'll be in as I should have my K-5 IIs by then.
That should be interesting..! However you could already warm up with your current gear..

09-25-2012, 06:33 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ASa Quote
That should be interesting..! However you could already warm up with your current gear..
Not really, All my current Pentax gear is Film!
09-25-2012, 06:39 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@ASa I've been using an M28/3.5 in the current September challenge and really enjoy the focal length and that particular lens. I own a M28/2.8 as well. If you choose to use it, experiment with the aperture to work out its optimal sharpness - you will probably find it may be down around F8. Interestingly, I am finding the M28/3.5 at F3.5 to F4 is a bit soft towards infinity focus but holding its sharpness quite well at those apertures focusing near its minimum distance. I haven't used the M28/2.8 enough to know if it behaves similarly. Both M28's can do really good rich colours with the right scene. But it is hard to get much OOF effect with that focal length/aperture on APS-C sensors away from near minimum focusing distance. Acknowledge that and select compositions that don't rely on shallow DOF for effectiveness. You can always use your M50/1.7 in a later challenge and go for broke chasing shallow DOF with that. I also find on my K-x, that I need to add +2/3s EV to the Green Button metering in many (but not all) instances when using M lenses. Otherwise images can be a bit dark and dull. That's the beauty of a Single in... challenge. You really get to know a particular lens very well and how to get the best from it (or alternately it may drive you to drink). Far more so than from only sporadic use.
09-25-2012, 07:47 AM   #10

I have just bought a Pentacon 50 f/1.8 which should be here in a few days. Guess I will have to learn how to use it. In addition I might choose a theme for october, not sure yet.
09-25-2012, 08:49 AM   #11
ASa

Thanks southlander for the tips..! This is not my first time with the Single of... challenges, actually I tried doing august with the 50, but had to quit halfway in due to time issues. The 28 can actually produce surprisingly nice oof even a bit further away, but you really have to lure it in and even then the results can be a bit so-so... However when you succeed with it, something like this might happen.

I think the softness might also be due to the difficulty in finding infinity when focusing. At least for me I have to take it back a tad from infinity to get proper focus on subjects far away. Stopping down helps with this issue, and truly, this lens is pretty damn sharp at around f/8. Not quite up there with my 50, but it's still good
09-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Is it wrong that I'm nervous as I type this? Maybe it's my subconscious screaming at me and telling me to run away.

Anyway, in spite of the fact I told my wife never to let me do this again, I'm in for October. I plan to shoot with my recently acquired Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8 (the new one with HSM and OS and all that jazz). I purchased the lens for shooting hockey pics and the boys will be on the ice a fair amount so, worst case, I'll post up a lot of hockey pics. However, my intent is to challenge myself and explore what this "sports lens" is capable of when thought of outside the box. I even have some travel planned which means I'll have to lug it with me on the plane but that's what I bought a backpack for right?

... its just one picture a day... how hard can it be?
09-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Ok, count me in for October. Lens of choice Sears (Samyang) 135mm f2.8. I was going to take this month off because of health reasons and other worries. Things I needed to take care of but those things are past now, and I can move on with my life.

I'm not sure I'll use this straight up or if I'll add closeups and do more macro. We're going into fall season here now and bugs and flowers are getting scarce. Birds are still around though. Either way, you'll know when I start which I've chosen to shoot.

Btw, I started playing these challenges in October 2010.
09-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Ok, count me in for October. Lens of choice Sears (Samyang) 135mm f2.8. I was going to take this month off because of health reasons and other worries. Things I needed to take care of but those things are past now, and I can move on with my life.

I'm not sure I'll use this straight up or if I'll add closeups and do more macro. We're going into fall season here now and bugs and flowers are getting scarce. Birds are still around though. Either way, you'll know when I start which I've chosen to shoot.

Btw, I started playing these challenges in October 2010.
Congrats Mar! And good on ya for continuing,
I'll be running our clinic single-handed in October, but I'm going to try and post when I can, or if I can...
09-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@ASa Interesting you say your M28/2.8's infinity setting is miscalibrated. Infinity is also a long way out on my M28/2.8. I would guess it is actually around the 10 foot mark. Took me a little while to work that out. In a quiet moment, I will attempt to properly align the infinity mark. It's not too difficult once you get the front name plate loosened. Somewhere on the net, I forget where just now, there is a detailed guide of what to do. I think it was to adjust a M50 but see no reason why the M28 would be any different.

Edit: no chance of photographing ice where I am except when it is in a glass floating in something refreshing!