Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Challenge #81

Not sure but I think this is a PP Challenge first: a shot from the Q.

Name:  Challenge81s.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  86.9 KB

Today was my first real session with the Q. What fun! This was shot with the 02 Standard Zoom at 5mm. Somehow I thought the in-camera distortion correction would have done a bit more. Thanks to my wife, who is standing inside pointing a flash at the ceiling.

The contest will close at end of day (GMT) Sunday 18 November. Enjoy.

Full-size jpeg

Original RAW file (DNG)

Information for the next host:

The media fire website is

mediafire.com

The log in name is

pentaxchallenge at yahoo dot com

The password is

postprocessing

11-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lookin' in the ol' winder

I'll try one - interesting to see a Q RAW file.

I changed the perspective in PS Elements (camera distortion plugin), then did some magic in Sagelight (one-shot HDR B/W, reduced tones to toned B/W, some vignetting of lens blur and brightness, and some curves adjustment). The idea was to ignore the window frame and view the innards in a more normal perspective, and it just seemed to require old-timey treatment considering the decor.

Fun!
-Joe-
11-11-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm new to this section of the forum - any rules for this one? Can anyone have a go?
11-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

11-11-2012, 11:18 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I'm new to this section of the forum - any rules for this one? Can anyone have a go?
Absolutely! Just download the file and process to your heart's content. The winner is chosen by the original poster and has the privilege of offering up one of his or her own efforts for the next round. All are welcome.
11-12-2012, 01:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Had a little fun with this one.. Had to get creative and inlay another of Baro-nite's shots for some extra texture
Attached Images

11-12-2012, 06:13 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Joe summed it up correctly -- the image is simply raw material [groans at own pun] for you to use however you see fit, and as Chex has shown you can bring in other images too, so long as the final image clearly has some connection to the original.

11-12-2012, 06:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jmschrei Quote
Absolutely! Just download the file and process to your heart's content. The winner is chosen by the original poster and has the privilege of offering up one of his or her own efforts for the next round. All are welcome.
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Joe summed it up correctly -- the image is simply raw material [groans at own pun] for you to use however you see fit, and as Chex has shown you can bring in other images too, so long as the final image clearly has some connection to the original.
All righty then - this looks like a good (and fun) way to dig deeper into my editing software and to learn some more.
11-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #9
Pentaxian

The trouble with these older houses is that the windows start to warp over time.

Tim
11-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

All righty then - this looks like a good (and fun) way to dig deeper into my editing software and to learn some more.
Yup, it's fun to comb through older challenges as well and see work and get inspiration etc.. some good stuff!
11-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
Yup, it's fun to comb through older challenges as well and see work and get inspiration etc.. some good stuff!
I guess I am kind of weird in this respect, but coming from B&W film - developing and printing my own most of my younger years, I tend to not do much PP on my digital images. I still strive to get it right in the camera first. But, I just love the digital darkroom and have gathered some pretty neat pieces of software that have many capabilities beyond how I normally use them. This is giving me the push to learn these other aspects of PP that will hopefully improve.

I'm working on the image for this week, but it is taking me some time experimenting with a lot of different ideas.
11-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I guess I am kind of weird in this respect, but coming from B&W film - developing and printing my own most of my younger years, I tend to not do much PP on my digital images. I still strive to get it right in the camera first. But, I just love the digital darkroom and have gathered some pretty neat pieces of software that have many capabilities beyond how I normally use them. This is giving me the push to learn these other aspects of PP that will hopefully improve.

I'm working on the image for this week, but it is taking me some time experimenting with a lot of different ideas.
That's where the line between photography and imaging blurs things for me.. the original photo is simply something to work with through post production work and turn into my own artistic creation.. these challenges are fun because the image to work with is not of my choice.. it's what I see and can do with it..

Made this to explain it visually
11-13-2012, 12:19 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

OK - this was fun! The hardest part for me is jump starting my imagination!

Last edited by photolady95; 04-17-2016 at 01:51 AM.
11-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

took an ax to this.. Hopefully will try again later...
11-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I processed this in Lightroom 4.3. Used manual lens correction to change the viewpoint and to correct much of the distortion. I decided I liked having the window at a slight angle rather than trying to attain a straight on view with the window squared. I kept the black trim with just a little white around it. Used Auto White Balance and Auto tone controls, and applied onOne's Gritty-Daylight preset followed by Lightroom's Direct Positive color preset which helped bring out the details in the window reflection while also maintaining the light in the room.

Lots of good interpretations here.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 

Last edited by Bill2849; 11-17-2012 at 09:11 PM.