04-15-2018, 07:23 PM - 2 Likes   #1846
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Racer would not have taken his rig on this 'road'

Probably not.

But I did drive my truck down a road in the Arizona desert.

A very primitive road.

This is where I turned around and parked, then went for a hike among the boulders.

04-15-2018, 07:24 PM - 2 Likes   #1847
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Awaiting repairs at a tire shop in Adair, Iowa at the corner of Audubon and 5th Street.

04-15-2018, 09:18 PM - 1 Like   #1848
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Probably not.

But I did drive my truck down a road in the Arizona desert.

A very primitive road.

This is where I turned around and parked, then went for a hike among the boulders.

Oh, no. You had been hooning so much that the trailer had fallen off the back. Did you turn around and drive back to it, or reverse?
04-15-2018, 09:19 PM   #1849
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Awaiting repairs at a tire shop in Adair, Iowa at the corner of Audubon and 5th Street.

I think I have seen the street name Audubon elsewhere in US too. Who or what was the origin of the name?

04-16-2018, 01:10 AM - 3 Likes   #1850
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And the other direction

Parked for a delivery

This guy could not find the Zebra crossing, so stood in the middle of the road.

A typical rural scene -part of a hiking trail on a farm
04-16-2018, 02:26 AM   #1851
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I think I have seen the street name Audubon elsewhere in US too. Who or what was the origin of the name?
Search me.
04-16-2018, 04:12 AM - 1 Like   #1852
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ireland

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
04-16-2018, 05:59 AM - 2 Likes   #1853
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Park road.

04-16-2018, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #1854
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is that a serious question?
James Audubon was an artist who is most famous for a set of illustrations called "The Birds of America." The book was published in sections from 1827 to 1838 and contained 435 illustrations - individually hand-colored engravings - each about 39 X 28 inches*, with birds pictured SFAP life-sized (awkward for the herons, cranes, turkey, big eagles, etc).. Most copies of the book were cut = the individual pages were razored out and mounted for wall display. Single original pages cost thousands of dollars. Many of the iconic images from the book have been reproduced tens of thousand of times. Locally, the Frost Library at Amherst College has one of the extremely rare complete, uncut copies of the books, including the page that lists the pre-publication subscribers. It is valued in the millions. The illustrations and the artist became so famous that his name was adopted for/by the Audubon Society, probably the foremost promoter of bird conservation, observing etc. in the USA. Some revisionists criticize the fact that Audubon had no qualms about shooting a bird to mount for use in his studio when preparing the illustrations, including birds that even in his day were very rare (ivory-billed woodpecker) and that subsequently went extinct (aforesaid woodpecker, Carolina parakeet, passenger pigeon - but for the pigeon in particular, in Audubon's day there were perhaps hundreds of millions of them).

*In the old standard way of labeling the size of a printed page or book, this is called a "double elephant folio."

Followup: In 1985 a reproduction edition of Birds of America was printed, in original double elephant folio size with very high quality prints of all 435 illustrations. It was limited to 350 printed copies, of which 50 were not bound (individual illustrations intended to be framed and hung) and the rest bound in four-volume, green leather with gold embossing sets. There's a used one available, showing some wear on the corners, for $15,000 USD.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 04-16-2018 at 04:00 PM.
04-16-2018, 06:32 AM - 3 Likes   #1855
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another street in Ireland that gets boxed-in left-right-above by buildings = it turns into an alley. This one is definitely one-way or one-at-a-time and beware how tall your truck is. I think I'd prefer to navigate it with a bicycle, motorcycle of fit-for-two than a 1960's caddy.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
04-16-2018, 12:20 PM   #1856
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Is that a serious question?
James Audubon was an artist who is most famous for a set of illustrations called "The Birds of America." The book was published in sections from 1827 to 1838 and contained 435 illustrations - individually hand-colored engravings - each about 39 X 28 inches*, with birds pictured SFAP life-sized (awkward for the herons, cranes, turkey, big eagles, etc).. Most copies of the book were cut = the individual pages were razored out and mounted for wall display. Single original pages cost thousands of dollars. Many of the iconic images from the book have been reproduced tens of thousand of times. Locally, the Frost Library at Amherst College has one of the extremely rare complete, uncut copies of the books, including the page that lists the pre-publication subscribers. It is valued in the millions. The illustrations and the artist became so famous that his name was adopted for/by the Audubon Society, probably the foremost promoter of bird conservation, observing etc. in the USA. Some revisionists criticize the fact that Audubon had no qualms about shooting a bird to mount for use in his studio when preparing the illustrations, including birds that even in his day were very rare (ivory-billed woodpecker) and that subsequently went extinct (aforesaid woodpecker, Carolina parakeet, passenger pigeon - but for the pigeon in particular, in Audubon's day there were perhaps hundreds of millions of them).

*In the old standard way of labeling the size of a printed page or book, this is called a "double elephant folio."

Thanks. Clearly someone worth memorialising in the name of streets across the country.
04-16-2018, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #1857
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks. Clearly someone worth memorialising in the name of streets across the country.
The equivalent for Britain, Europe, Australia, much of Asia and New Guinea is John Gould: John Gould - Wikipedia
04-16-2018, 05:48 PM   #1858
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, no. You had been hooning so much that the trailer had fallen off the back. Did you turn around and drive back to it, or reverse?

I left the trailer at the TA truck stop in Wilcox, Arizona. It had a 14 foot wide load on it. In Arizona, oversize loads cannot move on the weekend. I pulled into the TA late Friday, just before the sunset curfew, and could not proceed until one half hour before sunrise on Monday.

So I went sightseeing.

To a place called Texas Summit, and then turned off onto the dirt road and drove out into the desert a few miles.

So I hooned bobtail.
04-17-2018, 09:04 AM   #1859
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
James Audubon was an artist who is most famous for a set of illustrations called "The Birds of America."
As a kid, one of my favorite books was a large coffee-table edition of Audubon's works my parents got for me. I must have browsed that book a thousand times. I haven't seen the book in ages - hopefully one of my sibs has it somewhere.
04-18-2018, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #1860
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
March 8, 2008, Aftermath of a blizzard in the Ottawa area. This street is about to become a street once again. And yes, that is my dog....cute but not too bright
Attached Images