Show Printable Version 8980 Likes Search this Thread
04-25-2022, 07:53 PM - 3 Likes   #4621
Pentaxian

Bike path in Gilbert, headed east.

04-25-2022, 09:15 PM   #4622
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Good perspective on this road in New Zealand. Lupines in the foreground are a major invasive problem.
Lake Wakatipu, the road to Glenorchy? You've been a lot of places around the world.
04-26-2022, 03:22 AM   #4623
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Lake Wakatipu, the road to Glenorchy? You've been a lot of places around the world.
I'd have to do a bit of research to confirm the location for that image. It was quite a few years back (I was using a K20D which was the Pentax flagship at the time) and my memory is not that good. M is the one addicted to travel - has been since before we met. I never object although sometimes there is a back-and-forth about where to go the coming year (I insisted on Ireland, as one of my grandfathers was born there). In the Pacific we've been to New Zealand, Australia, Galapagos (back in the Film Era) and twice to Hawaii. The first three locations mostly on tours, Hawaii on our own itinerary. Also to Alaska (Film Era) on our own recognizance. End of next month we visit Scandinavia on several connected tours, including going way to the northern tip of Norway above the Arctic circle (M insisted), and uncomfortably close to the Russian border. One of my grandmothers was born in Norway. After her husband (my grandfather) died she took my father as an infant back to Norway, then remarried an American, came back and died soon after.
05-10-2022, 11:21 AM - 3 Likes   #4624
Pentaxian

Lexington Ave around 105 street.

That last red light, at 102 street - really fancy if you get caught in traffic whilst driving stick...

05-10-2022, 11:24 AM - 3 Likes   #4625
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

South Island, New Zealand. Great mountains on the horizon, something to lure you down the road.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
05-11-2022, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #4626
Pentaxian

Western end of Queens Boulevard

05-12-2022, 06:05 PM - 5 Likes   #4627
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The long and winding road to the base of Mauna Loa.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-12-2022, 06:58 PM   #4628
Pentaxian

Pothole on a Bronx Street (Walton Ave. & E. 153rd Street)

05-13-2022, 04:29 AM   #4629
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote

POTHOLES! M hit one she couldn't swerve around in time, driving on an unfamiliar road. Destroyed a tire's sidewall and because the treads were somewhat worn, I had to replace the entire set. $$$$$$

But. There is the Friendly's ice cream flavor called "New England Pothole." A mild chocolate with chunks of dark chocolate candy and other yummy bits in it. Only available in the Spring, just as their Peppermint Stick is only available about Christmas time. We love it, anticipate it, and watch for its availability this time of year.
05-13-2022, 07:41 AM   #4630
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
POTHOLES! M hit one she couldn't swerve around in time, driving on an unfamiliar road. Destroyed a tire's sidewall and because the treads were somewhat worn, I had to replace the entire set. $$$$$$But. There is the Friendly's ice cream flavor called "New England Pothole." A mild chocolate with chunks of dark chocolate candy and other yummy bits in it. Only available in the Spring, just as their Peppermint Stick is only available about Christmas time. We love it, anticipate it, and watch for its availability this time of year.
I hit a pothole in Union Turnpike about 2 months ago that bubbled one of my basically new front tires. I get my tires from tirerack, so I was able to buy a new one and they sent a check for the cost of the old one. I've used their warranty service 3 times already (2 year road hazard protection) - it works.

Never had that icecream flavour - is still Spring so I will check and see if one is available...

There's a Friendly's somewhat near me, but according to the menu, no NEPothole ice cream...

https://locations.friendlysrestaurants.com/ll/US/NY/East-Meadow/1826-Hempstead-Turnpike
05-13-2022, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #4631
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I hit a pothole in Union Turnpike about 2 months ago that bubbled one of my basically new front tires. I get my tires from tirerack, so I was able to buy a new one and they sent a check for the cost of the old one. I've used their warranty service 3 times already (2 year road hazard protection) - it works.

Never had that icecream flavour - is still Spring so I will check and see if one is available...

There's a Friendly's somewhat near me, but according to the menu, no NEPothole ice cream...

https://locations.friendlysrestaurants.com/ll/US/NY/East-Meadow/1826-Hempstead-Turnpike
We are very close to the Friendly's home-base, their primary (only?) "creamery." We have enjoyed going to Friendly's restaurants for many decades. Sadly, many of them have closed, including two of our favorites.. I was on a committee for a while with Prestley Blake. A nice enough person, but at moments he exuded "the easy arrogance of wealth."
05-14-2022, 05:17 AM - 4 Likes   #4632
Pentaxian

St Mary's Street, Chepstow, South Wales

K-1 DFA 24-70mm

05-14-2022, 09:38 AM   #4633
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Big gate for a hiking trail. They must have had problems with off-roaders using the trail in the past. Hill Canyon Calif.
05-14-2022, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #4634
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We hit a pothole coming down to Hope from the Coquihalla. Damaged one wheel, scraped another, and tore part of the sidewall of a tire, so I thought I'd make a claim. Insurance said I had to contact the Highways maintenance people first, they denied any responsibility, so made a claim for a tire, a wheel, and a wheel repair.Who knew that the total would be about $2,500! Similar to Walt, it was about time to replace the tires, so did that too!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-14-2022, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #4635
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Arn Quote
We hit a pothole coming down to Hope from the Coquihalla. Damaged one wheel, scraped another, and tore part of the sidewall of a tire, so I thought I'd make a claim. Insurance said I had to contact the Highways maintenance people first, they denied any responsibility, so made a claim for a tire, a wheel, and a wheel repair.Who knew that the total would be about $2,500! Similar to Walt, it was about time to replace the tires, so did that too!
I had a less catastrophic loss of a tyre a week ago. It had a sudden loss of all the air, but then Mrs drove a couple of miles on a no air tyre. The tyre was a total loss. Fortunately the wheel survived. Resulted in changing the pair of tyres. The tread was getting close to legal limit so brought forward the replacement a few months. The other pair were new a year ago.