Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2022, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #4621
Pentaxian
edom31's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Garden City, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,905
Western end of Queens Boulevard




05-12-2022, 06:05 PM - 5 Likes   #4622
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Arn's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Parksville
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,969
The long and winding road to the base of Mauna Loa.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-12-2022, 06:58 PM   #4623
Pentaxian
edom31's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Garden City, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,905
Pothole on a Bronx Street (Walton Ave. & E. 153rd Street)

05-13-2022, 04:29 AM   #4624
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
WPRESTO's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 52,825
QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
Pothole on a Bronx Street (Walton Ave. & E. 153rd Street)

POTHOLES! M hit one she couldn't swerve around in time, driving on an unfamiliar road. Destroyed a tire's sidewall and because the treads were somewhat worn, I had to replace the entire set. $$$$$$

But. There is the Friendly's ice cream flavor called "New England Pothole." A mild chocolate with chunks of dark chocolate candy and other yummy bits in it. Only available in the Spring, just as their Peppermint Stick is only available about Christmas time. We love it, anticipate it, and watch for its availability this time of year.

05-13-2022, 07:41 AM   #4625
Pentaxian
edom31's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Garden City, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,905
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
POTHOLES! M hit one she couldn't swerve around in time, driving on an unfamiliar road. Destroyed a tire's sidewall and because the treads were somewhat worn, I had to replace the entire set. $$$$$$But. There is the Friendly's ice cream flavor called "New England Pothole." A mild chocolate with chunks of dark chocolate candy and other yummy bits in it. Only available in the Spring, just as their Peppermint Stick is only available about Christmas time. We love it, anticipate it, and watch for its availability this time of year.
I hit a pothole in Union Turnpike about 2 months ago that bubbled one of my basically new front tires. I get my tires from tirerack, so I was able to buy a new one and they sent a check for the cost of the old one. I've used their warranty service 3 times already (2 year road hazard protection) - it works.

Never had that icecream flavour - is still Spring so I will check and see if one is available...

There's a Friendly's somewhat near me, but according to the menu, no NEPothole ice cream...

https://locations.friendlysrestaurants.com/ll/US/NY/East-Meadow/1826-Hempstead-Turnpike
05-13-2022, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #4626
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
WPRESTO's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 52,825
QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
I hit a pothole in Union Turnpike about 2 months ago that bubbled one of my basically new front tires. I get my tires from tirerack, so I was able to buy a new one and they sent a check for the cost of the old one. I've used their warranty service 3 times already (2 year road hazard protection) - it works.

Never had that icecream flavour - is still Spring so I will check and see if one is available...

There's a Friendly's somewhat near me, but according to the menu, no NEPothole ice cream...

https://locations.friendlysrestaurants.com/ll/US/NY/East-Meadow/1826-Hempstead-Turnpike
We are very close to the Friendly's home-base, their primary (only?) "creamery." We have enjoyed going to Friendly's restaurants for many decades. Sadly, many of them have closed, including two of our favorites.. I was on a committee for a while with Prestley Blake. A nice enough person, but at moments he exuded "the easy arrogance of wealth."
05-14-2022, 05:17 AM - 4 Likes   #4627
Pentaxian
Lord Lucan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: South Wales
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,895
.
St Mary's Street, Chepstow, South Wales

K-1 DFA 24-70mm



05-14-2022, 09:38 AM   #4628
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
paulh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW Texas/Ventura County, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 28,441
Big gate for a hiking trail. They must have had problems with off-roaders using the trail in the past. Hill Canyon Calif.
05-14-2022, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #4629
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Arn's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Parksville
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,969
QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
Pothole on a Bronx Street (Walton Ave. & E. 153rd Street)
We hit a pothole coming down to Hope from the Coquihalla. Damaged one wheel, scraped another, and tore part of the sidewall of a tire, so I thought I'd make a claim. Insurance said I had to contact the Highways maintenance people first, they denied any responsibility, so made a claim for a tire, a wheel, and a wheel repair.Who knew that the total would be about $2,500! Similar to Walt, it was about time to replace the tires, so did that too!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-14-2022, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #4630
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 7,667
QuoteOriginally posted by Arn Quote
We hit a pothole coming down to Hope from the Coquihalla. Damaged one wheel, scraped another, and tore part of the sidewall of a tire, so I thought I'd make a claim. Insurance said I had to contact the Highways maintenance people first, they denied any responsibility, so made a claim for a tire, a wheel, and a wheel repair.Who knew that the total would be about $2,500! Similar to Walt, it was about time to replace the tires, so did that too!
I had a less catastrophic loss of a tyre a week ago. It had a sudden loss of all the air, but then Mrs drove a couple of miles on a no air tyre. The tyre was a total loss. Fortunately the wheel survived. Resulted in changing the pair of tyres. The tread was getting close to legal limit so brought forward the replacement a few months. The other pair were new a year ago.
05-14-2022, 02:12 PM - 2 Likes   #4631
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter
pepperberry farm's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: probably out in a field somewhere...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 32,600
05-14-2022, 06:04 PM   #4632
Pentaxian
edom31's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Garden City, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,905
QuoteOriginally posted by Arn Quote
We hit a pothole coming down to Hope from the Coquihalla. Damaged one wheel, scraped another, and tore part of the sidewall of a tire, so I thought I'd make a claim. Insurance said I had to contact the Highways maintenance people first, they denied any responsibility, so made a claim for a tire, a wheel, and a wheel repair.Who knew that the total would be about $2,500! Similar to Walt, it was about time to replace the tires, so did that too!
those 19" wheels are gorgeous... but the sidewall is barely there for the bad road conditions (after rain/snow)... both my cars are 17"; both older than 2013 models - yet if I'd were for a new car, based on the North East road conditions re salt and seasons, I'd run max 18" on SUV or 17" on sedans. Again, those 19" are beautiful!
05-14-2022, 11:09 PM   #4633
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Appingedam
Posts: 2,388
I'm amazed to read those stories about potholes and damage. I haven't seen a single one in a hardened road surface over here. In Belgium there are a few, but that's it. Good luck with the roads over there. Nice wheels indeed!
05-14-2022, 11:39 PM   #4634
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Arn's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Parksville
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,969
QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
I'm amazed to read those stories about potholes and damage. I haven't seen a single one in a hardened road surface over here. In Belgium there are a few, but that's it. Good luck with the roads over there. Nice wheels indeed!
The freezing and thawing seem to cause a lot of the potholes - have to watch more carefully in March and April. The 19 wheels and tires are great for handling, but not so great on potholes, especially if the suspension is adjusted to firm.
05-15-2022, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #4635
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
paulh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW Texas/Ventura County, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 28,441
A local road in Ventura County, Calif.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
cars, cotton, country, days, drivers, feet, flickr, freedom, fruit, hills, jean, lane, maine, merrill, mojave desert, ocean, photography, pizza, pm, post, ramseybuckeye, roads, roberts, share, spring, street, street photography, traffic, truck, waxing
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your prefered Street Photography set-up? DaveHolmes Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 22 11-29-2012 08:10 AM
Narrow view of street photography or...? v5planet Photographic Technique 58 07-17-2011 09:45 AM
Streets A few shots at Street Photography CameoFX Photo Critique 10 01-09-2011 08:26 PM
street photography - how do they take these shots? kristoffon Photographic Technique 30 04-07-2010 10:59 PM
Street Photography-Photographing the street photographer? Reportage Photographic Technique 10 03-23-2009 07:41 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:54 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top