Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2022, 09:44 AM   #4726
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Could this be anywhere other than England?
It is very characteristic. It might be Wales.

10-08-2022, 02:18 PM   #4727
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
It is very characteristic. It might be Wales.
Perhaps I should have typed "British Isles." We only drove through a small part of Wales during a visit to GB decades ago (= back in the Film Era).
10-20-2022, 10:54 AM - 3 Likes   #4728
Pentaxian

Utah State Route 21... I think.

10-23-2022, 06:32 AM - 1 Like   #4729
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Less than half of the political signs currently posted along this stretch of Rt 9* in my town. By my count of an image I posted on the "signs etc." thread, there are an additional 19 signs off to the right of this image.

*Rt 9 crosses MessyChewBits East to West, one of the few local roads (=not a limited access highway) that does so.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 

Last edited by WPRESTO; 10-23-2022 at 06:43 AM.
10-23-2022, 11:04 PM   #4730
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Purely out of curiosity, how does this work? I guess the roadside is public ground or is it owned by whomever lives along that stretch of road(in this case I guess the Town Mart)? And when it is public ground, can anyone just put down a sign and will it remain untouched? That is a fascinating amount of signs. From what I' can make out this is for the Sheriff, Governor and some other election?
10-23-2022, 11:44 PM   #4731
Pentaxian

In Australia people would attach signs to power, light and street sign posts. Puts them high enough to be seen without distracting the eyes low. And by law they must be removed immediately the election ends. Another difference is that the signs emphasise the candidate’s party (because people cross electoral area boundaries on their commute) and usually the sign has the candidate’s picture. That is, much more branding.

And on the land ownership issue, the road reserve is usually surveyed to be a fixed width, normally 1 chain, so all the land in the reserve is maintained by a government authority (which level, state or local, depends on which level owns it) and the details of how the law for using the space applies depends on what is built - main carriageway, footpath etc.
10-24-2022, 02:30 AM   #4732
Pentaxian

Perhaps I should have typed "British Isles." We only drove through a small part of Wales during a visit to GB decades ago
I think you were right the first time. There are hardly any thatched roofs here in Wales, in fact I can't say I have ever noticed any, although there might be some near the English border further north from where I am. Older Welsh houses have slate roofs, and many modern ones have fake slate. I doubt you would find much thatch in Scotland either. Your photo looks like it is in the Cotswolds, and for those who don't know the UK, there are not many parts of it that look like that; such places are almost museums.

10-24-2022, 06:28 AM   #4733
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I think you were right the first time. There are hardly any thatched roofs here in Wales, in fact I can't say I have ever noticed any, although there might be some near the English border further north from where I am. Older Welsh houses have slate roofs, and many modern ones have fake slate. I doubt you would find much thatch in Scotland either. Your photo looks like it is in the Cotswolds, and for those who don't know the UK, there are not many parts of it that look like that; such places are almost museums.
Now that you mention it, I remember that Wales as a lot of slate, and a good roofing material it is. The house I was born into had a slate roof that my father was quite proud to have. Slate outlasts typical shingles, but isn't as easy to install or repair.

I'd have to do some research to find the location where the image I posted was taken. We were on a paleontological field trip visiting fossil localities especially along the coast. A fellow who lived along this street was a well-known very successful collector. He had many really fine specimens in his house which was behind me in the posted image. Traveling in a tour coach you're not always aware precisely where you're going or where it is you have stopped.
10-24-2022, 09:26 AM - 2 Likes   #4734
Pentaxian

We were on a paleontological field trip visiting fossil localities especially along the coast.
Could be Dorset then. Some of its coast (the "Jurassic Coast") is famous for fossils. It is another area where stone was traditionally used for building, the Isle of Portland being in the county. Portland stone is high quality limestone and many London landmark buildings were built from it. Some old Dorset houses are roofed in stone slabs, although others are thatched, including Thomas Hardy's cottage (which has walls of brick!). The Greyhound Inn in Corfe (below) is built of local stone with a stone slab roof. That's the ruined castle showing above the roof line. I guess this counts as a street picture as I didn't crop the ugly road markings in the foreground

Hardy described a cottage on the Isle of Portland as :-

Like the island it was all of stone, not only in walls but in window-frames, roof, chimneys, fence, stile, pigsty and stable, almost door.

Pentax K10-D

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 10-24-2022 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Format
10-24-2022, 10:52 AM   #4735
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

At one point we were near enough to Corfe to see it off there, from a point higher than the castle. We were visiting many places along the Jurassic Coast, including visiting The Cob at Lyme Regis, made famous by Jane Austin. I could be wrong but I don't think that a new cob wharf has been built for centuries.
11-01-2022, 05:15 PM   #4736
Pentaxian

Mentions of Lyme Regis and fossils bring to mind the John Fowles novel "The French Lieutenant's Woman' written in and about the town. And then there was the film - as always the book was better despite the 5 Oscar nominations (IMHO).
11-02-2022, 03:41 AM - 1 Like   #4737
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's actually an alley in Stockholm
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-RX10M4  Photo 
11-02-2022, 03:46 AM - 4 Likes   #4738
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

11-04-2022, 04:18 AM - 4 Likes   #4739
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A pedestrians-only street (exception = delivery vehicles during restricted hours)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
11-04-2022, 11:36 AM   #4740
Pentaxian

Royal Mile and St Giles Cathedral?