Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8980 Likes Search this Thread
01-03-2023, 03:06 PM   #4786
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Driving south from Wick to Inverness - my son now driving. Admittedly, most of the pics look like the second one.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
01-05-2023, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #4787
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The road that passes by our place - with more & more traffic every day...
01-05-2023, 12:13 PM - 4 Likes   #4788
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The road that passes my place - not much traffic today. And not a single palm tree in sight.

01-06-2023, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #4789
Pentaxian

I-40 in Eastern NC

01-06-2023, 10:14 PM - 4 Likes   #4790
Pentaxian

I-278

01-14-2023, 09:37 PM   #4791
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

01-15-2023, 05:47 AM - 2 Likes   #4792
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Two roads on the Gaspe Peninsula. SCANS

Attached Images

01-16-2023, 11:07 AM   #4793
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Interesting in what appears to be a large kink fold in those meta sediments.
01-16-2023, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #4794
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Geodude Quote
Interesting in what appears to be a large kink fold in those meta sediments.
I think those are upper/late Proterozoic to lower/early Paleozoic = late Pre-Cambrian to Cambrian sediments first disturbed in the Ordovician (Taconic) and mashed more later..
01-16-2023, 04:35 PM - 1 Like   #4795
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No signs here, but I'm pretty sure that this is the same fold in your first image, as we also pulled off the road here (previously posted elsewhere):

Events
by Aaron, on Flickr
01-17-2023, 04:14 AM - 4 Likes   #4796
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
No signs here, but I'm pretty sure that this is the same fold in your first image, as we also pulled off the road here (previously posted elsewhere):

Events
by Aaron, on Flickr
Agree 100%. That is the same distorted layering at the upper right of the rocky outcrop in the photo I posted. It's a grand example how something brittle can distort plastically when confined under extremely high pressure. Students have trouble wrapping their minds around how ice in a glacier - normally perceived as brittle - is actually flowing in a plastic manner, how the ice can flow over and around a firmly anchored rock outcrop, how the center top of the ice can be moving faster than the margins or the base. I used to attempt a mental understanding by explaining how a copper tube bent around your knee causes a "kink" versus slipping a confining spring around the copper tube and getting a nice rounded bend, but too few students were familiar with or could imagine that spring device.

BTW: Ever since I first heard it as an undergrad, I have loved the term "disturbed strata." In truth, the term can be applied to the vast majority of Earthly rocks.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 01-17-2023 at 06:33 AM.
01-17-2023, 04:58 AM - 5 Likes   #4797
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

01-17-2023, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #4798
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote

Events
by Aaron, on Flickr
Those quartzites appear regularly interspersed thoughout the upper vertical section similar to cyclothems, indicative of transgressive/regressive seas during the late Proterozoic.

---------- Post added 01-17-23 at 08:51 AM ----------

Agree 100%. That is the same distorted layering at the upper right of the rocky outcrop in the photo I posted. It's a grand example how something brittle can distort plastically when confined under extremely high pressure. Students have trouble wrapping their minds around how ice in a glacier - normally perceived as brittle - is actually flowing in a plastic manner, how the ice can flow over and around a firmly anchored rock outcrop, how the center top of the ice can be moving faster than the margins or the base. I used to attempt a mental understanding by explaining how a copper tube bent around your knee causes a "kink" versus slipping a confining spring around the copper tube and getting a nice rounded bend, but too few students were familiar with or could imagine that spring device.

BTW: Ever since I first heard it as an undergrad, I have loved the term "disturbed strata." In truth, the term can be applied to the vast majority of Earthly rocks.
A good example of the power of glacial carving can be shown throughout the islands east of Portland, ME, that show the direction of glacial movement in the islands linear shapes.
01-17-2023, 08:10 AM - 3 Likes   #4799
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Geodude Quote
A good example of the power of glacial carving can be shown throughout the islands east of Portland, ME, that show the direction of glacial movement in the islands linear shapes.
On a few occasions I took students to the top of Mt. Holyoke, one of the highest points nearby and easily accessible with a 15 passenger van up the paved road. There are deep glacial grooves in the exposed bedrock, about 700~800 feet above the general terrain. "What made these grooves?" I would ask. Inevitable answer "Running water." "Where," I would counter, "is the watershed that could supply such a massive discharge?" Bewilderment. Then I tried to get them to image ice extending another 1,000 feet or more above where we standing, and the pressure ("weight") such a mass would exert on a bus-size boulder that the ice was dragging across the top of the mountain. At least a few could grasp the magnitude, but it was very difficult for most of them.
01-17-2023, 08:59 AM   #4800
Pentaxian

On a few occasions I took students to the top of Mt. Holyoke, one of the highest points nearby and easily accessible with a 15 passenger van up the paved road. There are deep glacial grooves in the exposed bedrock, about 700~800 feet above the general terrain. "What made these grooves?" I would ask. Inevitable answer "Running water." "Where," I would counter, "is the watershed that could supply such a massive discharge?" Bewilderment. Then I tried to get them to image ice extending another 1,000 feet or more above where we standing, and the pressure ("weight") such a mass would exert on a bus-size boulder that the ice was dragging across the top of the mountain. At least a few could grasp the magnitude, but it was very difficult for most of them.
The power of all that weight and force is awesome! It is always fascinating to me to see signs of glaciers as I hail from the unglacier-touched south US