PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
08-07-2019, 12:35 PM   #2837
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Main Street in Old Town Ventura, Calif:
08-09-2019, 07:22 PM - 5 Likes   #2838
Pentaxian

It's too hot, so I had to go find a picture from somewhere cold. This is highway 78 just outside of Burns, Oregon, on the morning of New Year's day in 2017. The low was -14.8°F that day, and it was still well below zero when I passed through.

I feel a little better now.
08-10-2019, 05:23 AM   #2839
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
I feel a little better now.
Mixed feelings here. I really prefer warmth to cold, but those temps are a bit much, too much "Fargo." The snowy tree crickets started chorusing several days back, which means the crest of Summer has arrived in MessyChewBits and we're on the slippery slope to the dead of Winter.

BTW: I like the image. I can feel the bite of the breeze pushing wisps of snow across the pavement, but image what it would be like in a gale

Last edited by WPRESTO; 08-10-2019 at 12:44 PM.
08-10-2019, 12:27 PM - 3 Likes   #2840
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Mixed feelings here. I really prefer warmth to cold, but those temps are a bit much, too much "Fargo." The snowy tree crickets started chorusing several days back, which means the crest of Summer has arrived in MessyChewBits and we're on the slipper slope to the dead of Winter.

BTW: I like the image. I can feel the bite of the breeze pushing wisps of snow across the pavement, but image what it would be like in a gale
Thanks, Walt! Those ice crystals blowing across the road really fascinated me. That kind of cold is way beyond my tolerance. I would not want to live there. When I was a kid growing up in Georgia, I hated the heat so much and dreamed of moving somewhere cold. Now I understand that it was just the humidity that really got to me. I don't mind heat much anymore, and after getting used to Phoenix weather, I really don't do well in cold.

It's okay on vacation, though. It's like sticking my head in the freezer for a bit. I'm a winter tourist.

This was back on Highway 20 the day before, on the Willamette Valley side of the Cascades. Not too bad in the valley.

08-10-2019, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #2841
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I-90 Eastbound, Minnesota. Trying to time a pass on a snowplow. He would hit drifts, while running about 60 miles an hour on the shoulder. The wind was blowing about 35 or so from the left, and the explosions from the plow would create a brief whiteout.

I tried to time my pass between the drifts.

It didn't work.

Just as I was passing, he hit a drift. The camera focused on the dirty spot on my windshield.

I was blind for a few seconds. At 75 or so. That's an eternity.

08-10-2019, 12:52 PM   #2842
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, Walt! Those ice crystals blowing across the road really fascinated me. That kind of cold is way beyond my tolerance. I would not want to live there. When I was a kid growing up in Georgia, I hated the heat so much and dreamed of moving somewhere cold. Now I understand that it was just the humidity that really got to me. I don't mind heat much anymore, and after getting used to Phoenix weather, I really don't do well in cold.

It's okay on vacation, though. It's like sticking my head in the freezer for a bit. I'm a winter tourist.

This was back on Highway 20 the day before, on the Willamette Valley side of the Cascades. Not too bad in the valley.
One thing about cold vs hot. Most of the time if it's very cold out, I can dress well enough to stay warm^. But if it's hot and humid, no hope for wearing thin enough or little enough clothing to be comfortable.

* M & I discovered that matching over-trouser rain pants we have are extremely effective keeping out the cold even if there is a substantial wind. I also have an old down-filled parka that is too hot if the temp is above ten degrees Fahrenheit.

08-11-2019, 11:10 AM - 2 Likes   #2843
Pentaxian

Walt, I don't know if all the clothes in the world could keep me comfortable at 10°F.

Back to somewhere warm. From a bike ride last weekend, along 64th Street in Scottsdale.

08-11-2019, 01:15 PM - 5 Likes   #2844
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Havana's most famous road, The Malecon.

---------- Post added 11th Aug 2019 at 23:15 ----------

That's very nice!
08-11-2019, 03:57 PM   #2845
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Traffic backed up on Drive-Thru Street at Mickey D's.

Auto Sears MC f/2.8 28mm + Sears KSX Super + Kodak T400 CN
08-11-2019, 04:01 PM   #2846
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pretty sure this is westbound approaching the Oakland Bay Bridge. Scan.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
EZ Controller  Photo 
08-11-2019, 04:13 PM   #2847
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Access Road at Montage Mountain, Moosic, PA
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
D-LUX (Typ 109)  Photo 
08-12-2019, 09:26 AM   #2848
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Walt, I don't know if all the clothes in the world could keep me comfortable at 10°F.

Back to somewhere warm. From a bike ride last weekend, along 64th Street in Scottsdale.
Looks like that was taken just south of Osborn. Back in the mid 70s I used to ride from 40th & Osborn east to the bike path (which was nothing like it is today), then south down through the McDowell tunnel, past the Botanic Gardens, through Papago Park, then cutting over to College and crossing the Salt on Scottsdale, before passing by the Sun Devil Stadium and reaching the Department of Geology at ASU. It was a wonderful commute.
08-12-2019, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #2849
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Xposted

08-12-2019, 12:53 PM   #2850
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Pretty sure this is westbound approaching the Oakland Bay Bridge. Scan.
I see an idiot on a motorcycle splitting lanes. They allow that in the Land of Fruits and Nuts.

Not really a smart thing to do on a bike. One little drift from some distracted driver who is self absorbed in their cell phone and the bike rider becomes a grease stain on the freeway.