Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 50 Likes Search this Thread
11-28-2012, 04:34 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Single in December - 2012

Got a nice new shiny bit of kit recently?

Got a dusty Takumar sitting on the shelf?

Ever wanted to find fame and glory by being Explored on Flickr? .......... Then why not join the Single in Challenge?

The idea is simple:

Every day, take a picture with your chosen lens of the month and post it to the thread of the day. Then other members of the group will comment on your shot. Don't be shy and comment on other member's pictures too.

Here are some more details

1. You need to join the group to post
2. This thread is only for discussing the December Challenge - if you have a problem this is where you ask.
3. You can upload your pictures to an album in the forums here, Flickr, Picassa .......... Here are some of mine on the forums and on Flickr.
4. Each day has a thread of it's own. Here is December 1st.
5. This is how to put your pictures from an album on the forums to the daily thread

if you post from Flickr you need to copy and paste the BBCode

This all must sound a real pain but by Day 3 you will be an expert! I promise

The only strict rule we have is it must be a Pentax or Ricoh body and the pictures you post must be from the same lens.

If you miss a day don't worry.

We are a very friendly, very international bunch. Come and try!

Last edited by patjp; 11-28-2012 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Clarity
11-28-2012, 05:52 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll pass but will watch and contribute the occasional comment.
11-28-2012, 06:58 AM   #3
ASa

Not sure yet, since there's christmas and all. I'm also not too keen to use any mf lenses due to the ridicoulous amount of light available combined with a crappy DIY Travor split screen I have on the K10D. I've used the DA40 just recently, and I don't feel like going for the DA15 just now, so I guess it'll be the 18-55, which I'm not too keen on. I need some fast af lenses....
11-28-2012, 07:14 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Pat, thanks for getting the ball rolling. I have half the month off (a good part simply vacation and overtime I haven't had time to take) so I am in for a second go around with my 10-17 fish-eye. With the west leg of our light rail transit opening this month I hope to capture a number of the interesting stations. We'll see how that goes!

11-28-2012, 07:15 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Last year, as it was the end of my year in this challenge, I did an anything goes in December and used a different lens each day (with no repeats). While at first it was liberating, it was also still a challenge. Now I realize that this may not be possible for others due to not having as serious case of LBA as me but you might give it a thought. Consequently, I'm going to reprise my December 2011 Anything goes in December, and initiate my Anything goes in December 2012. I will use a different lens every day with no repeats till the end of the month. Last year I did a Christmas lights/decoration theme and I may reprise that as well. This will be fun as I can now throw my Q lenses into this mix. So you are likely to see Q, K, 645, and even 6x7 lenses in play here.

Oh, and thanks Pat for putting this up right on cue.
11-28-2012, 01:44 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

May as well finish the year out. I'm in with my Sears (Samyang) 135mm f2.8 with 3x teleconverter.
11-28-2012, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Now I realize that this may not be possible for others due to not having as serious case of LBA as me but you might give it a thought.
Wow I like this idea. Won't be able to in December, but maybe sometime in 2013. I think I might make December a Q month, using both the 01 and 02 and also adapted lenses.

11-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
@Tim - I remember last December. I think choosing a new lens every day made the whole month more difficult for me.
11-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Last year, as it was the end of my year in this challenge, I did an anything goes in December and used a different lens each day (with no repeats). While at first it was liberating, it was also still a challenge. Now I realize that this may not be possible for others due to not having as serious case of LBA as me but you might give it a thought. Consequently, I'm going to reprise my December 2011 Anything goes in December, and initiate my Anything goes in December 2012. I will use a different lens every day with no repeats till the end of the month. Last year I did a Christmas lights/decoration theme and I may reprise that as well. This will be fun as I can now throw my Q lenses into this mix. So you are likely to see Q, K, 645, and even 6x7 lenses in play here.

Oh, and thanks Pat for putting this up right on cue.

That's an idea I'll have to mull over. I have the lenses, but I can see the challenge of it already.
Maybe I could do a different body each day... (Bad idea)
11-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I thought the idea of single in challenges was to use only one lens per day all month, not several lens per day all month long. Doesn't using a different lens per day defeat the purpose of "Single in" ?
11-29-2012, 05:01 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Patrick for kicking off December. I'm in and going back to wide angle with my newly delivered DA 15mm Ltd.

Last edited by Bramela; 11-30-2012 at 01:49 AM.
11-29-2012, 05:27 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

Thank you Pat for launching this SIngle In...hope that you don't mind If I will join too.

I'll jump in with my M 75-150/4 zoom.

I have been missing you guys!
11-29-2012, 07:07 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
That's an idea I'll have to mull over. I have the lenses, but I can see the challenge of it already.
Maybe I could do a different body each day... (Bad idea)
A different body each day! Wow, hey that's something to shoot for. However, that's not going to happen unless I win the lotto.

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I thought the idea of single in challenges was to use only one lens per day all month, not several lens per day all month long. Doesn't using a different lens per day defeat the purpose of "Single in" ?
Well, as I indicated, last December to sorta celebrate my 12th month at this game, I just decided to mix it up and use a different lens each day with no repeats all month. That way I got to exercise my whole darn lens stable that year. As there are still some lenses that haven't gotten any love since last December, I'm going to do it again.To me, it's either a holiday from "Single in" or turning it on its head for a month. I think at the end of the year we should try to do something special.

QuoteOriginally posted by patjp Quote
@Tim - I remember last December. I think choosing a new lens every day made the whole month more difficult for me.
Without a doubt it became more difficult as the lens choices diminished. That is part of the challenge.
11-29-2012, 09:27 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Well, I guess if no one else objects it's fine. But I don't own thirty plus lenses, so I'd have to repeat with the ones I have. I'd rather just use one lens all month.
11-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Mar for that vote of confidence. In some respects I wish I didn't own as many lenses as I do, gulp, I said that? One of the original purposes of this game was to find a way to control LBA. In some respects that's begun to work for me, er, well it's should be working soon any way as the DA15limited will arrive monday and a swear that I won't need or buy any more lenses after that - really! Oh, I also swear that after this December I'll reduce my collection a lot, hmmm...I may have said that last December too, but this time I really mean it! (Yah right!)

So what I'm doing is really a farewell tour for my collection of 3 manual focus 28mm lenses, my Vivitar 500mm mirror lens, several of my 645 lenses too, and some others. Gotta send them off.

Ok, seriously I realize that most folk haven't been as silly as I have over the past few years in letting LBA and cheap old lenses get the better of them. However, I did have a lot of fun last December doing this. If anyone else can do it, why not? If not, it's just another Single in Month.