Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 38 Likes Search this Thread
01-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #166
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Haven't decided about February but am currently leaning toward sitting out. It's been great participating for 3 months but I don't have quite the same enthusiasm I did at the start. I've learned a lot along the way!

01-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #167
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Haven't decided about February but am currently leaning toward sitting out. It's been great participating for 3 months but I don't have quite the same enthusiasm I did at the start. I've learned a lot along the way!
Oh man, Please stay around!
01-28-2013, 10:19 PM   #168
Site Supporter

I have one of these: Vivitar 100-300mm f5 constant Auto TX Close-Focusing zoom Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

I might use it for February just because its such a odd lens

Either that or I was thinking of going lazy and just walk around with the 18-55mm WR for a while.......
01-29-2013, 02:53 AM   #169
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Corto-PA Quote
Oh man, Please stay around!
Thanks bud! I felt this way at the end of each of my first two months, too, so maybe I'll come around.

01-29-2013, 06:03 AM   #170
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Corto-PA Quote
I have one of these: Vivitar 100-300mm f5 constant Auto TX Close-Focusing zoom Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

I might use it for February just because its such a odd lens

Either that or I was thinking of going lazy and just walk around with the 18-55mm WR for a while.......
Not sure how that is lazy besides the obvious weight difference. A number have used 18-55 as their lens of choice for a month. If you opt for the Viv, I hope you eat your wheaties

The making a shot each day is tough... It seems this month less tough than developing...

Baron-nite ought to hang in there. The weather is on the turn, and Spring is around the corner...
01-30-2013, 01:05 AM   #171
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am sorry to say I cannot finish the month (nothing yesterday or today).
I will try to participate in February (if it goes ahead), either FA43, or FA77, but maybe Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6.
Just a longstanding pain in the neck.

What's that you said?

Oh. dear.

I meant I have a neck injury giving me problems.
01-30-2013, 02:10 AM   #172
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote
I will try to participate in February (if it goes ahead), either FA43, or FA77, but maybe Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6.

What's that you said?

Oh. dear.

Physician, heal thyself.
Soon.
Hope to see you back on deck for February.

01-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #173
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I now can see what February holds for me and it's too much work and not enough play time. I'm sitting February out. I'll be checking in of course but I have to surrender to my other commitments. Can't tell about March or April right now but I'll be back as long as I can.
01-30-2013, 02:30 PM   #174
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote

What's that you said?

Oh. dear.

Get better jack, Come back in February!!
01-30-2013, 02:31 PM   #175
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Well, I now can see what February holds for me and it's too much work and not enough play time. I'm sitting February out. I'll be checking in of course but I have to surrender to my other commitments. Can't tell about March or April right now but I'll be back as long as I can.
Good luck with work and all, Going to miss your company!
01-30-2013, 03:26 PM   #176
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well me too, but I will look in when I can. I enjoy this challenge too much.
01-30-2013, 07:05 PM - 2 Likes   #177
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Well me too, but I will look in when I can. I enjoy this challenge too much.

Me too, and I am lingering like a bad odor with not even a single shot posted for January....

Jack, if the neck is sore you ought to invest in a Q10 and go ultra light for a month

Seriously though health and illness has lain a few Single-In participants low this month. Take some rest and return refreshed. It is very helpful.
01-30-2013, 08:36 PM - 3 Likes   #178
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Review of this month's use of the Macro-Takumar 50mm f4 1:1

I only scored this lens for free just a few weeks before this month’s challenge, so it really was my first prolonged encounter. Not surprisingly it delivered really nice close-ups and macros, even though the largest aperture is only f4. Having said that I should also note that all of these were taken in natural light – no flash, so I was really pleased with that aspect. More distant shots weren’t quite as sharp initially but only minor PP was needed to convert to keepers. For some of these distant scenes I did get some colour casts but it seems that may reflect my early reliance on my K5’s Auto White Balance setting. All but one shot (the pill) were taken with a UV filter and lens hood installed, although a series of comparison shots revealed no difference when these accessories weren’t fitted.

All in all, I was very pleasantly surprised by this manual lens. It’s very versatile, compact, and weighs next to nothing. I’m certainly hanging on to it.
01-30-2013, 11:26 PM   #179
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Super-Takumar 1:3.5/35mm review:
Prior to this month, I hadn't used it much, I have a couple of other 35mm lenses (FA35/2 and DA L 35/2.4) that I have used in this challenge, and whilst I knew it was sharp, I didn't realise just how easy to use it is.
In M mode, with it set at f5.6, and the aperture closed down, the viewfinder is still light enough to easily focus(not critical at all when using f5.6). I shot RAW all the time, because LR is needed to remove Longitudinal CA (green, not purple).
All in all, an enjoyable month, and I managed to fluke some nice shots.

I wil be hanging on to my Takumar collection.

Once again, sorry I could not complete the challenge (unless you count my extras along the way).

I have some night commitments in February that are essential for my profession, I'm hoping to sneak some day shots..... my enthusiasm is still good.

Cheers
John
01-30-2013, 11:41 PM - 2 Likes   #180
Veteran Member

Thanks Rod and John for the reviews! Two good lenses IMO.
This is one of the reasons I enjoy the Single in... challenges; the chance to compare lenses and a month-long of experiences.
Hey, John, extras always work. See you down the line.

As for me, I dusted off two pieces of gear this month.
The trusty *ist D and the Vivitar 28-70mm f3.5/4.8. Unfortunately, early in the game my lens came apart (a first for me) so I was limited to 70m or 28mm and limited spontaneity. Still, it was a good time. I made use of the month to develop my limited post processing skills. The lens shows a lot of flare and purple fringing but overall it was solid. It took me a while to get use to this lens' bokeh and I tried to make the most of it by going to macro shots. Not the sharpest lens in my arsenal but dependable as I found out. As for the *ist D, it really is the digital equal to the K1000.
I will post a pix of the disassembled lens and body down the line. But this being my first lens purchase here on PF and for under $15, I can't complain. Gotta love manual focus lenses.