Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
PP Challenge #85 WINNERS

Sorry for being a bit late. Thanks for all the entries and I have now chose a winner and it is chemtech!
The mirroring was simple, yet very interesting, as it totally changed the composition of the image. The dreamy editing really brought out the cuteness of the sheep.

Second place goes to J. Stanz with the bold B&W that really made the subjects pop out. I like how you went with the more soft look rather than the usual clarity boosted B&W.

Third place goes to baro-nite! Your edit looks like something from a dreamy children's movie. It's almost so cute that my computer and I melt. The softness really killed all the noise.

And now to the rest of the entries, all were good and earns an applause!

enemix: I like the blueish blooming around the subjects and you were really the only one going for a really cold tone.
Bill2849: You made it look a bit like a pencil drawing combined with watercolor. I could have done without the vignetting though to really make it painting like.
kyc: It looks like one of those bookmarks, you know? I can really see it on a child's first school book. I just find the grass in front a little to boosted compared to the subjects, otherwise a fine one.
todd: Special ey? Special it is! It reminds me of a scary movie called Black Sheep. Nice attempt at a really creative look.
Bruce Clark: Did i shoot this in the 1920's? You really made it look really old, like a box camera! I like it.

I'll like all your pics and now on to chemtech for a new challenge!

01-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well done chemtech -- it's amazing how a change in orientation changes the effect of a composition. Thanks for hosting this fun challenge, VisualDarkness!
01-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Well done chemtech -- it's amazing how a change in orientation changes the effect of a composition. Thanks for hosting this fun challenge, VisualDarkness!
Yeah, that mirroring was a genius move in this case. Such a small thing yet it did a lot without taking it too far from the original.
01-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

congrats chemtech! yours was my pick too..

01-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thank you VisualDarkness for your challenge, for your judging and for your comments on the various entries.

Congratulations ChemTech, and the runners-up.
In addition to the difference made by the mirroring of the image, I was very taken by the handling of the eye of the lamb looking backward.
There were very interesting aspects to several of the other entries too.
01-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, VisualDarkness, for hosting a great challenge and giving us a wonderful image to work with!

Congratulations, to J. Stanz and baro-nite!

Oh My, I am so honored that you chose me to host the next challenge, VisualDarkness! Thank you for all the kind comments, also.

I will try and get the next challenge up and running very soon.
01-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Baro-nite, thanks!
I make a habit of flipping an image to check for edits and tone before final export. This time I liked the effect. Then I had to go and re--edit to try
and make the lambs face the focal point.

Thank you, Todd!

Bill2849, Thank you! You noticed that I had tried to lighten the eyes a bit. I hoped I hadn't overdone it.

01-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chemtech Quote
Baro-nite, thanks!
I make a habit of flipping an image to check for edits and tone before final export. This time I liked the effect. Then I had to go and re--edit to try
and make the lambs face the focal point.

Thank you, Todd!

Bill2849, Thank you! You noticed that I had tried to lighten the eyes a bit. I hoped I hadn't overdone it.
I'll make that a habit too, thanks for the advice, Those ayes are wonderful, not overdone at all. You really brought out the wonderful eyelashes the sheep had,
01-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #9

Congratulations to chemtech, definitely well deserved. Also, a big thumbs up to everyone else who participated. There were some very great posts. And thanks again to VisualDarkness for providing a puzzling (to me at least), picture to process. Can't wait for the next one!