Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2013, 01:48 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PP Challenge #86 WINNERS

First off, you should all be congratulated for tackling my problem photo for this weeks challenge.
I enjoyed the challenge and I hope you did too!
Thank you, for all the great ideas and tips that were shared.

Each entry brought something different to the table and I liked them all in one way or another! See all the orginal entries here.

Todd: What a truly innovative approach. The colorful streaks really isolated the goose well and added to the feeling of movement. A very well done HDR treatment for the goose.
Would you mind sharing how you achieved such an interesting effect?

Ash: You turned this photo into a graceful, subtle painting. I really liked how you balanced the image with the crop and colors.

Jmschrei: You did achieve a warmer evening atmosphere. It gave the scene a whole new feeling. Good detail brought out on the goose, too.

Bill 2849: Very nice crop and treatment. I liked how the wings feathered to each corner. You really brought the goose to life. There was an amazing (to me) amount of shadow detail revealed.
The tones of the reflection added interest, but didn't overpower. Thank you for sharing your edit steps! I freely admit that I had to go look-up what a HSL only filter was (interesting stuff).

Atupdate: You brought focus to this image by getting rid of the distractions and making the goose a strong focal point. At the same time you kept the vibrant feeling of the reflected ice.
Thanks, for sharing how you did your magic.

J. Stanz: I like how you did the crop and border. The muted colors and tones gave an old film look which I enjoyed seeing.
I also,enjoyed reading how you edited the image. I'm now going to go check out Paint.Net.

Stormtech: The cool blue tones, I think, help unify the image and give it a peaceful late evening feeling. Nice crop too.

VisualDarkness: I like the "direction" you went with your rendition. The combination of gorgeous colors and bold shapes makes a most pleasing image.

---------------------------------

Judging the winner was very difficult, but, here are my very subjective results:

Honorable mention:
ASH - really liked the "painterly effect"

Third place:
Bill2849 - Totally loved the detail and sharpness of the goose.

Second place:
Todd - A creative image with a "WOW" factor.

First Place and host of the next round:

Atupdate -- To me, you clearly solved this "problem" photo. The conflict of interest is gone from the top of the frame and the cropping and color draws the eye to the main subject. Also, you cropped out the white feather "blob" to earn extra credit. Congratulations, on a job well done!

To post the next challenge follow the directions in the orginal post.

Last edited by chemtech; 01-19-2013 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Spelling
01-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thank you Chemtech for an interesting challenge, for your judging and for your comments on each of the entries.
Congratulations to Tim for his winning entry, and to the other runners-up.

I'm looking forward to see what challenge Tim comes up with.

Bill
01-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for hosting the challenge Edith and for picking my version as the winner. It was a lot of fun to work on. I'll try to have something up later tonight.

Tim

Last edited by atupdate; 01-19-2013 at 03:09 PM.
01-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats Tim and thanks for the challenge!

01-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The new challenge is posted here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/21248...ml#post2247108

Tim