Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PP Challenge #88 WINNERS

Again it has been great fun to see what creative Pentaxians can make of one of my humble files. As always, comments and judging is entirely subjective and any shortcomings are mine alone.

todd: Well this blew me away. I never expected such a radical departure but this really takes the scene to an entirely different place. I am currently reading a novel best described as a Space Opera and this interpretation has a definite SF feel.

J Stanz: This area is part of an inner city revitalization project so the rose coloured interpretation is surprisingly appropriate. The pink is strikingly surreal and again lends a bit of an SF feel to my mind.

Bill2849: I must say that I love the rich black tones in this conversion, it creates a lot of drama. The one thing I am not certain about is the perspective shift. It has left a few artifacts along the top and right edge that might have been nicely hidden with a thin black frame.

chemtech: I would never have thought about cropping this scene so this way but together with the warm monotone treatment you have created a very inviting atmosphere. You have also managed to make the most of the glow of the low morning sun.

Dr Orloff: I really like the approach you have taken here, playing up the colour and light on the deck while muting the background tones. You have also managed to create a subtle grittiness if that makes sense.

atupdate: Bonus points for painstakingly removing the tree and extending the distant Centre Street bridge. However I can't help but wonder if it leaves the final result a little unbalanced.

And now for the winners...
Honourable mention goes to todd and his split brain vision.

A very close second goes to Dr Orloff for a very creative approach when the bar had already been set quite high.

First place, for me, has to go to Edith (chemtech) for really making the most of the light and the city skyline while removing distracting features in the original shot. I look forward to see what you come up with for PP # 89!

02-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Excellent choice. Congrats Edith! This is professional quality work and it really stands out.
02-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congratulations Edith, Dr. Orlov and Todd. I was impressed by each of the other entries as well.
Thank you Joe for an interesting challenge, for sharing your comments and for the judging.
02-06-2013, 05:18 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I couldn't agree more with the winner. Thanks Joe for posting such a fun image to work on.

Tim

02-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations, Dr Orloff and Todd! I enjoyed seeing your entries so much, along with all the entries.

Joe, thanks for an enjoyable and informative challenge. I learn something new each time I do one of these challenges, which is good for my old brain.

Thanks, Todd, Bill2849, and Tim, for the kind comments! You guys have inspired me to try and learn layers and masks, which is something I thought never to try doing.

I've got Next weeks Challenge started here, so come on over

Thanks,
Edith